Author Topic: Fallout 4  (Read 4686 times)

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Fallout 4
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2015, 07:19:50 PM »
Not really digging it yet, but I'm barely maybe an hour in.

I've listened to the quill18 review and the pacing criticism he brings up seems valid.  I'm also not sure how much I'm going to enjoy emphasis on crafting and base building at the expense of deeper questing and character sheet building.

I do like improved gunplay, it feels better than Fallout3, not that that's a high bar to clear.

The pacing was a bit weird, I'll admit, though I rushed through the prelude to get to the meat of the game.  If you took much time before you get into and then out of the vault, it is going to feel slow.

Too early to tell how deep the questing will go, but I find the base building as a welcome addition.  That may be my open builder sandbox bias bleeding through though.  I'm not sure why there is an assumption that the rest of the game was pared down to make room for this feature?

Well the lack of the character sheet is just manifest, as in they removed all the specialization choices that you had to make in F3.  It doesn't really matter to me if that was a matter of resourcing or if it was a deliberate design choice based on some other considerations, it changed the game in a way I'm not sure I like.

As for questing I haven't gone deep enough to comment personally, but quill18's description makes me a little disappointed.  Ultimately I cared a LOT less about voice acting in dialogue and a lot more about the depth of actual dialogue choices.  But how it'll affect my gameplay I don't know yet, maybe I won't care that much.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 07:48:35 PM »
Im interested in how one youtuber im a fan of will handle this game. He is a big fan of the entire fallout series, and has done successful challenge runs though Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

It is much harder than earlier editions, and how the radiation system works now will really impede him.

He does four types of challenges:

YOLO (You only live once)- He goes through an entire game on one heathbar, no healing HP or radiation allowed.
No Kill- Go through the game not killing anything
Kill all- Go through a game killing every killable NPC
Speed run- Go through the game as quickly as possible.

I think YOLO will be nearly impossible for him.

Here is his channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ManyATrueNerd

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
    • The International League of Skeptics
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2015, 10:53:58 PM »
Ultimately I cared a LOT less about voice acting in dialogue and a lot more about the depth of actual dialogue choices.  But how it'll affect my gameplay I don't know yet, maybe I won't care that much.

I don't know that I agree the character dialog was much more complex, it just had a bit more flavor text in the options.  FO4 still has the flavor, it just occurs after you make the selection, which is a pithier description of the actual decision.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 10:57:45 PM by wastrel »

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 08:52:02 AM »
So it finally arrived yesterday, and I put about 3~4 hours or so into it before I went to bed. 

Lip syncing is off.  I'm no far enough to judge how the questing goes.  I was initially mixed on the base building, but found myself drawn to keep doing it, and I must have spent an hour cleaning up Sanctuary just to collect materials.  Salvaged two or three houses.  My first attempt to put up a building was hilariously backwards, so I scrapped it and started over. 

This is also my first Fallout playing as a female character, which I tend to do more frequently these days in games where I get a choice.  I'm interested to see if it changes dialog options. 

I named my character "She Nick" because I'm woefully uninventive.  This morning, I realized I've never named one "Chick Nick," and that would seem so obvious.

Dogmeat gets his ass kicked pretty easily, so hopefully he can be beefed up. Looking forward to getting into the meat of the game this weekend.
http://fromnothinggamestudios.com/

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?"

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 09:47:25 AM »
I plan on doing a few Roleplaying playthroughs.

A Walter white playthrough. (High Int, High luck, Low endurance chaotic evil)

And a doctor who playthrough( High Int/Charisma, chaotic good, find as many non-violent solutions as possible)

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2015, 11:58:20 AM »
So, because my son was grounded all weekend, I had ample time to play Fallout 4 while he sat in his room reading and writing.  I got to level 18 so far.  I have a few thoughts now. 

I like building the town and community.

I need to find a doctor because I'm super addicted to a lot of stuff.

The scrapping mechanism is a mess, and requires you to throw stuff on the ground, and then scrap it in a different menu.  Just let me do it from a single point, say, activating a crafting table somewhere.

Getting Power Armor was too easy.  I played through Fallout 3 and New Vegas almost never acquiring it.  I already have two sets of Power Armor, and a third if I join the Brotherhood of Steel. 

Surprising number of low-res textures.  I'm playing on PS4. 

My phone is too big for my Pip-Boy.

I spent a lot of time wandering.  I have encountered an absurd number of enemies with skulls next to their names and several Legendary-level enemies.  I did not realize the enemies could mutate into stronger forms.  I thought there was a bug leading to some aggravating deaths. 

Typical Bethesda bug-heavy environment.  People walking into walls, enemies with obvious movement patterns, the dog routinely gets in my way.  Pipe-guns are awful.  I have two Miniguns, two Rocket Launchers, the Fat Man, and the Junk Gun already.  I stored some spares just in case.

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?"

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2015, 12:03:01 PM »
The scrapping mechanism is a mess, and requires you to throw stuff on the ground, and then scrap it in a different menu.  Just let me do it from a single point, say, activating a crafting table somewhere.

You don't need to do that at all. Just store the junk in your workbench. It'll get scrapped automatically when you craft something that requires components from it.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2015, 04:57:16 PM »
I didnt like that I got railroaded into power armour in Fallout 3.
Is it optional to go without? (I assume its harder)

Offline Ah.hell

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2015, 05:02:21 PM »
Good question, I prefer the stealthy character which is silly with power armor. 

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2015, 05:33:48 PM »
From what I've seen, the game treats radiation differently, and there are places where you can't survive without power armour. But using one is highly resource-intensive, and you can't run around in it forever like in Fallout 3. You need gas, parts to repair them, etc. They are closer to Mechs or Exosuits. It does look like they make fights much easier. Seems like a much more interesting game mechanic.

For the record, I hardly ever used power armour in fallout 3. Can't remember if I even put one on, ever. Now it sounds like they made them necessary, but not ubiquitous.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2015, 05:50:16 PM »
They're basically vehicles now, as far as I can tell. You can get in and out of them, but they'll just stand where you left them, you can't carry them around in your pocket anymore. I'm not sure how necessary they really are and if it's possible to go through the game without using them.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 06:43:43 PM by Sordid »

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2015, 06:31:33 PM »
Cool! That sounds fun actually!

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Well Established
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2015, 09:15:14 AM »
I'm a fair ways in and I've never found myself needing power armour. I just took it for a spin a couple of times because it's fun to stand in the open and mow down raiders or supermutants with a minigun. My character's a sneaky gunslinger, so he's too weedy to use huge weaponry as a matter of course.

Yes, there's quite a bit of radiation, but there's also hazmat suits, Rad-X and craftable food with rad-resist buffs.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 09:20:25 AM by Louie »
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
    • The International League of Skeptics
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2015, 11:06:39 PM »
In Denver this week, unable to play.  I've been watching LP after LP, but only only up to where I've played (barely out of Concord/Sanctuary) to avoid spoilers, just wishing I could play.  This is torture.

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2015, 10:06:27 AM »

You don't need to do that at all. Just store the junk in your workbench. It'll get scrapped automatically when you craft something that requires components from it.

Oh goddammit!  Thanks!

personate-rain