Author Topic: Modern Flat-Earthism  (Read 1631 times)

Offline AaronSTL

• Not Enough Spare Time
Re: Modern Flat-Earthism
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 04:53:55 PM »
I recently found out a friend from high school (now a Facebook friend) is a flat earther.  One argument he gave to support the idea is certain lighthouses can be seen from distances which flat earthers claim should be impossible on a round earth.  I asked him for a specific case and he cited the Port Nicholson lighthouse in New Zealand.  I looked up the description in a book called "A Description and List of the Lighthouses of the World" which said its light is 450 feet above high water and is visible from 30 miles away when the observer is 10 feet above sea level.  I'm a CAD guy so I drew a circle the diameter of the earth, drew lines to represent the observer and lighthouse, and a line connecting them.  Here's the video I made to show him my results:

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2015, 05:04:15 PM »
A flat earther entered my local skeptics groups Facebook group.

It was amazing how much science he had to ignore and try to debunk in order to maintain his beleif in a flat earth. Even something as simple as refraction was not a real phenomena to him.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2015, 05:07:33 PM »
A flat earther entered my local skeptics groups Facebook group.

It was amazing how much science he had to ignore and try to debunk in order to maintain his beleif in a flat earth. Even something as simple as refraction was not a real phenomena to him.

Haha I've got a book of a lecture on optics from the 1890s that gives a good long explanation of refraction without using trigonometry.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2015, 05:12:30 PM »
I remember he showed this video of a boat disappearing over a horizon, and claimed it simply faded into the background instead of going over the horizon line, I suggested it was mebey refraction, he said rubbish to that, I showed him a picture of a pencil in water, he said my photo was faked, I asked him to try it, he said the pencil did not refract.

So. Yea, thats as far as i went.

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2015, 09:12:17 PM »
I recently found out a friend from high school (now a Facebook friend) is a flat earther.  One argument he gave to support the idea is certain lighthouses can be seen from distances which flat earthers claim should be impossible on a round earth.  I asked him for a specific case and he cited the Port Nicholson lighthouse in New Zealand.  I looked up the description in a book called "A Description and List of the Lighthouses of the World" which said its light is 450 feet above high water and is visible from 30 miles away when the observer is 10 feet above sea level.  I'm a CAD guy so I drew a circle the diameter of the earth, drew lines to represent the observer and lighthouse, and a line connecting them.  Here's the video I made to show him my results:

That's a very well done and properly presented presentation.
Even if it did intersect, though, there are plenty of reasons why it would still be visible - namely that light bends (refracts) in the atmosphere.
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Offline Dr Havoc

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2015, 06:27:27 AM »

It isn't about maths and science, it is about common sense. We all know for example that at noon in the US is the middle of the night in china. Shanghai to New York is like 7000 miles. How can an object bright and clearly 3000 miles away in the sky not be visible at the same time in both places.

In a flat plane if the sun is overhead 3000 miles away you would see it aabove your head. If it moved 10000 miles away you would see a much smaller, much dimmer sun further in the distance but still above ground. In a flat plane it is impossible to see ANY OBJECT even the sun disappear over the horizon unless it goes below the flat plane.

Similarly the earth is not a perfect sphere with the same radius everywhere and light around any object is difracted at the edge so no object casts a perfect shadow. Some light will always bend slightly around any horizon.

Offline tgraupmann

• Brand New
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2017, 10:53:19 AM »
I had a family gathering yesterday, and I can't believe I heard "the world is flat" from the most successful person among us.

His argument was that "all photos of the Earth could have been manipulated, how do you know the world isn't flat?".

All I could say about it was

1) Why would someone go through the enormous effort to manipulate an insane amount of photos to perpetuate such a myth?

and

2) Have you watched the International Space Station live camera footage? It makes a full orbit every 1.5 hours.

I left stunned that in 2017 anyone can believe the world is flat?

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2017, 12:24:01 PM »
Pellucidar would be great, nearly double the surface to live on. However, living in perpetual sunlight would be a problem after a while, I think.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2017, 01:29:58 PM »
It's so puzzling why people are so attached to the Flat earth Theory.

In order for it to work, the mechanics have to be so incredibly complicated.
I am still trying to wrap my head around how seasons would occur--or how everything seems to "end" at one (or both?) of the poles.

What is the suspected motive of thew "round earth conspiracy"?

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2017, 01:51:10 PM »
Some are fundie religious types and think the round earth conspiracy is meant to undercut the bible.  As to the secular flat earthers, I can't imagine what they think the motive is.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2017, 03:45:39 PM »
Some are fundie religious types and think the round earth conspiracy is meant to undercut the bible.  As to the secular flat earthers, I can't imagine what they think the motive is.
"I know something you don't"ism.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2017, 03:50:00 PM »
I get that is part of motive for wanting to believe in the conspiracy but what to the flat earthers think the motive is behind the vast scientific and government conspiracy meant to cover up the flat earth in favor of the oblate spheriod earth?

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2017, 04:49:31 PM »
I get that is part of motive for wanting to believe in the conspiracy but what to the flat earthers think the motive is behind the vast scientific and government conspiracy meant to cover up the flat earth in favor of the oblate spheriod earth?
Logic isn't a factor with them.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2017, 05:41:55 PM »
Still, they must tell themselves something right?  I wouldn't expect it to be logical, just something.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2017, 08:51:01 PM »
From the FES website (http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=Motive+of+the+Conspiracy):

Motive of the Conspiracy

The motive for 'The Conspiracy' is unknown (unlike the existence of 'The Conspiracy', no specific motive necessarily follows from the FET) and as such it is open to speculation. However, financial profit is the most commonly assumed motive.

'Profit'

Usually considered to be the most likely motive, this suggests that NASA is primarily an embezzlement front. The conspiracy spends millions of dollars in bribing astronauts, faking photographs, and other ways of faking space exploration, but NASA's budget is in the billions, so the conspirators still receive a large profit yearly.

'Not hiding anything at all'

It is also possible that NASA does not actually know that the earth is flat and since its inception has simply been faking the concept of space travel, never bothering (or unable) to go any farther than the edge of the atmosphere. The earth is portrayed as round in NASA media because the general public already believes that it is round.

NASA is mistaken about the earth's shape, just like many others are, and reflect that mistake when putting together its fake space missions.

'Military dominance'

The US Government and its European allies have a large interest in investing untold millions of dollars into hoaxing space travel because it gives a superior image to the rest of the world. Once a country has the technology to reach orbit it can also scare off aggressors and send ICBMs raining down on its enemies at the push of a button. Creating the illusion of space travel is critical to national security of a first-world nation, whether it is actually possible or not.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

personate-rain