Author Topic: The Expanse - Syfy/Space  (Read 2389 times)

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
The Expanse - Syfy/Space
« on: November 23, 2015, 01:04:58 PM »
Just caught the first episode.  In Canada it is streaming on space.ca.  In the US it is streaming all over the place, on Syfy, at Goodreads, on Amazon, and in numerous other places.

I'm a huge fan of the novels, and have been excited for the show for months.  The first episode was very enjoyable to me - but I'm famously easy to please.  Anyone else check it out yet?

Episode 2 is slated for Dec 15.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
Re: The Expanse - Syfy/Space
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 10:03:24 AM »
It wasn't available to legally watch in Australia, but that has never stopped me  ;)

I enjoyed it. It started off a bit all over the place, which is understandable, there are a lot of characters and storylines to introduce.
I liked Leviathan Wakes, but not enough to read the rest of the series.

The episode ended on a high and I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the series.

Online amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 12:26:35 PM »
Haven't seen enough of Holden yet to really get a feel for him (initial reaction is he seems younger than I'd imagined), but Thomas Jane has so completely nailed Miller already - you can see so many layers to him already in just the one episode.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Online amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 05:50:58 PM »
FYI, there is also an Expanse podcast, 7 episodes in (some character/cast discussion before the show came out, and one since).  Give it a search on your podcast provider of choice.  It's not bad.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 05:59:01 PM »
Woah, this is relevant to my interests!

PS, haven't seen any episodes yet, but the actor is 100% NOT the Holden I expected.  In my head I pictured basically Tom Hanks.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 06:01:10 PM by teethering »

Online amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 06:03:48 PM »
I don't know why, but I always had a early-90s William Hurt in my brain for Holden.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 06:10:03 PM »
I don't know why, but I always had a early-90s William Hurt in my brain for Holden.

That works too.  I also heard people picturing him as Ron Livingston or Nathan Fillion, either of whom would fit well for me as well.  But no the guy they cast.  You need that capacity for everyman cluelessness coupled with surprising sharpness and heroism when called upon.

I hope he can pull it off..

Online amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 06:13:41 PM »
The big thing for me will be uncertainty followed up with decisiveness - pulling both of those off.

(ie. basically just rewording what you said)
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 12:49:17 AM »
Close to finishing the first episode, this is a badly cast show.  It's still a fun story, but it's less fun because the characters aren't coming through with the actors they picked.

Online amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 10:35:26 AM »
I'm still OK with it - Jane as Miller is a home run.  The others haven't had a chance yet to really do anything.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 12:34:07 PM »
Even Miller is way too pretty, not to mention Amos.  It feels like the casting was based on how good looking the actors are, rather than how much character they bring.  It's supposed to be a rag-tag group of nobodies and the crew looks like a bunch of models.  Just not buying it.

I'll still watch because the story is fun, but I am disappoint.

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 09:11:26 AM »
Just caught the first episode.  In Canada it is streaming on space.ca.  In the US it is streaming all over the place, on Syfy, at Goodreads, on Amazon, and in numerous other places.

I'm a huge fan of the novels, and have been excited for the show for months.  The first episode was very enjoyable to me - but I'm famously easy to please.  Anyone else check it out yet?

Episode 2 is slated for Dec 15.

I'd never heard of it, so I went to Amazon. It's not on Prime, but it's free to buy the first episode. So I did. I'll watch it soon. I suppose they're giving away the first episode as a teaser.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 12:13:18 PM »
Thanks for the heads up!
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 04:40:00 PM »
Last night I watched the first episode of The Expanse. It's not my cup of tea. But I don't care for Star Trek or Star Wars or their ilk either. I love Firefly and Serenity. And I love both the book and the BBC radio serial (that came first) of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I didn't much care for the movie or tv versions. The infinite improbability drive seems to me a lot more probable, and certainly more fun, than warp drive. There's no imagination at all in the latter.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 04:52:51 PM »
So?  My wife liked Ep1 enough that I'm not allowed to watch any more without her.  Looking forward to the next ones...
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

personate-rain