Author Topic: The Expanse - Syfy/Space  (Read 2540 times)

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: The Expanse - Syfy/Space
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 04:38:45 PM »
The books are actually a lot more like Firefly than ST or SW.

The problem I have with the show is getting worse with each episode, especially the lady they have playing the kick-ass Indian Earth government lady.  I guess part of the problem is that there's only so much screen time to get those nuances across, but in the show she feels a lot like a cold, evil politician, rather than a plump, motherly Indian lady with a steel core who gives zero shits.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 02:40:57 AM »
Just watched the finale.  Haven't read the books (though I'm just now starting the first one) either.  I am very impressed with this show!  Very good stuff and I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for season 2.  I think more than anything though, I really have enjoyed getting to know the universe better as it's incredibly fascinating.

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2016, 02:56:06 AM »
OK, so I'm about halfway through Leviathan Wakes and just about to get to where the show concludes (more or less considering the order of events is different), and while I still am a big fan of the show it's pretty hard to not see where some of the criticisms in this thread are coming from.  Since I watched the show first, I can say that I feel the show on its own merits is really good and engaging, but it seems like some of the changes they made were in the interest of making things more dynamic between characters, and while they accomplished that I think they lost some of the wonderful flavor of the book.

More than anything, I have reacted pretty strongly to the differences between book Rocinante and show Rocinante.  In the book, Holden is a good leader who has the love and respect of his crew despite still making it up as he goes along.  In the show, I don't really see him as much of a leader at all and view the crew more as a group of people that don't quite get along or see eye-to-eye.  I mean, Alex is more or less the same, but Holden has a completely different dynamic with Naomi and Amos on the show and while it's certainly more dramatic I guess, I am left liking the book Rocinante crew way better.

Also, something that stood out to me is that the show doesn't seem to be depicting a war between the Belt and Mars at all.  Tensions, sure, but no war that I was aware of.  In the show, it feels much more like the main characters are trying to avert a war while in the book if feels like they are trying to navigate it and maybe stop it.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2016, 11:05:36 AM »
OK, so I'm about halfway through Leviathan Wakes and just about to get to where the show concludes (more or less considering the order of events is different), and while I still am a big fan of the show it's pretty hard to not see where some of the criticisms in this thread are coming from.  Since I watched the show first, I can say that I feel the show on its own merits is really good and engaging, but it seems like some of the changes they made were in the interest of making things more dynamic between characters, and while they accomplished that I think they lost some of the wonderful flavor of the book.

More than anything, I have reacted pretty strongly to the differences between book Rocinante and show Rocinante.  In the book, Holden is a good leader who has the love and respect of his crew despite still making it up as he goes along.  In the show, I don't really see him as much of a leader at all and view the crew more as a group of people that don't quite get along or see eye-to-eye.  I mean, Alex is more or less the same, but Holden has a completely different dynamic with Naomi and Amos on the show and while it's certainly more dramatic I guess, I am left liking the book Rocinante crew way better.

Also, something that stood out to me is that the show doesn't seem to be depicting a war between the Belt and Mars at all.  Tensions, sure, but no war that I was aware of.  In the show, it feels much more like the main characters are trying to avert a war while in the book if feels like they are trying to navigate it and maybe stop it.

I'm almost done Leviathan Wakes on Audible. (I was listening in time with the SyFy episodes, but then the order of events divereged too much.)

I think Holden is more heroic in the books, but only because they rewound his personal history a few years to start him at a more vulnerable and inexperienced time of his life. I'm glad they dropped the love interest plot line. Reading that after watching the show, it felt discordant and out of character.

I didn't mind the way they put more tensions among the characters. We see very little outside of the Roci's crew's view. The show can't really do the kind of narrative teleportation and exposition that the book does (at least, it would be a lot harder to relate to, IMO), so the tensions and outright warfare that we hear in the narrative is represented by the characters in the show.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2016, 05:54:59 PM »
I read the first two books prior to the show, and think the producers do a fair job. Adaptations ought to be judged separately from the source. The show is probably the best and most ambitious thing SyFy has done.

However, my wife, who has not read the novels, was unable to follow the story and grew bored by it. (Probably because she was too busy playing on her iPad rather than paying attention.)
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2016, 08:33:54 PM »
Binged it in three days and absolutely loved it.
Didn't read the books, don't intend to.
The gravity (or lack thereof) was mostly handled well (better than can be expected, at least), the science of the fiction was mostly reasonable, and most of the cast is pretty good.
Only thing that bothered me was that the last episode didn't really conclude anything - it didn't feel like a season finale at all.
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2016, 08:44:00 PM »
I got 5 episodes in and nothing was really clicking for me. Thomas Jane was cool. The other story was boring, the earth politicians were outright annoying.
That said, I find all political intrigue outside the Veep to be utterly insufferable so maybe Im not the audience.

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2016, 08:55:00 PM »
Yeah, I was definitely confused after watching the first season too, but after getting 3/4s of the way through the first book, I believe we're supposed to be confused at that point.  I'm not sure if us being unaware that our confusion was intentional was a good thing or not.  Even after getting through this book though, I'm still confused about the initial events that kick everything off.  What was the Scopuli's mission?  What was the stealth ship's that destroyed her?

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2016, 10:48:53 PM »
OK.  Finally finished Leviathan Wakes and my opinion's have changed a bit.  I think the show is definitely doing a good thing with the alterations they've made.  First off, the addition of a third POV character makes the whole thing way more interesting as I found having only Holden and Miller's POV in the books limited how deeply the narrative was explored.  It's like having GRRM write his books with only Tyrion and Dany's POV.  Still interesting, the story is still good and engaging, but the treatment feels very shallow and narrow.

Second off, I've decided that I do like the more dynamic nature of the Rocinante crew.  Yes, it makes Holden's character much less of an imposing figure, but it also leaves him room to grow into such a character and to let us see him earn the respect of his crew.

Third, I still dislike that they made Holden sneakily log the Scolpuli's distress call.  Since it was a trap laid by the other ship, it makes much less sense if the standard reaction to such a distress call is to ignore it for fear of lost money and of it being a pirate trap.  It makes much more sense that the Canterbury was forced to respond rather than the bad guys creating a sloppy plan and getting lucky.

All in all, I like both the book and the show, but I found that once I became used to the universe the author had built and most of the major mysteries had been answered, the book became much less engaging to me.  Still fun, still interesting, but much more straightforward and less dynamic.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2016, 11:03:58 PM »
OK.  Finally finished Leviathan Wakes and my opinion's have changed a bit.

[snip]

Third, I still dislike that they made Holden sneakily log the Scolpuli's distress call.  Since it was a trap laid by the other ship, it makes much less sense if the standard reaction to such a distress call is to ignore it for fear of lost money and of it being a pirate trap.  It makes much more sense that the Canterbury was forced to respond rather than the bad guys creating a sloppy plan and getting lucky.

[snip]

I thought the show hit the right beats to make it clear that ignoring a distress call in the "bad part of town" is not uncommon. In later episodes the "pirates" even make a comment to the effect of "Let's hope they don't ignore it so we can get this party started." It seemed to me that they were not expecting to snare the first ship that passed - just that they would snare someone eventually. They were always playing a longer game.

Holden's reaction also struck me as genuine and appropriate. He's portrayed as a relatively young and somewhat innocent and somewhat idealistic man, with a ton of natural charisma and leadership capacity. He's somewhat jaded, perhaps now thinking of people as 'mostly not evil' where he once thought of them as 'mostly good' so responding to the distress call is based in a crisis of conscience. This leads him to a crisis of confidence that shakes him for most of the season - up to the last few episodes.

It seemed like a very appropriate start to his journey as a reluctant hero.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2016, 12:41:12 AM »
No, it felt fine watching the show and fit just fine with the different version of Holden that they are portraying, but since:

(click to show/hide)

That brings up one other thing I liked better about the book than the show; that the Belter mindset of "do what you will, but fuck with my air, water, or food and even the most pious clergy will toss you out an airlock" didn't come through.  They even had Miller accepting bribes from a super to allow him to not change the air filters.  Him accepting a bribe at all, also struck me wrong when compared to the book Miller.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2016, 07:38:21 PM »
No, it felt fine watching the show and fit just fine with the different version of Holden that they are portraying, but since:

(click to show/hide)

That brings up one other thing I liked better about the book than the show; that the Belter mindset of "do what you will, but fuck with my air, water, or food and even the most pious clergy will toss you out an airlock" didn't come through.  They even had Miller accepting bribes from a super to allow him to not change the air filters.  Him accepting a bribe at all, also struck me wrong when compared to the book Miller.

(click to show/hide)

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2016, 10:27:04 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2016, 08:28:22 AM »
(click to show/hide)

That makes sense.

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2016, 05:46:13 PM »
I got 5 episodes in and nothing was really clicking for me. Thomas Jane was cool. The other story was boring, the earth politicians were outright annoying.
That said, I find all political intrigue outside the Veep to be utterly insufferable so maybe Im not the audience.

I think the political stuff is way more compelling in the books.  Possibly because I think the actress they picked to play Avasarala is 100% wrong for the role.

personate-rain
personate-rain