Author Topic: The Expanse - Syfy/Space  (Read 2527 times)

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: The Expanse - Syfy/Space
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2016, 05:53:46 PM »
I got 5 episodes in and nothing was really clicking for me. Thomas Jane was cool. The other story was boring, the earth politicians were outright annoying.
That said, I find all political intrigue outside the Veep to be utterly insufferable so maybe Im not the audience.

I think the political stuff is way more compelling in the books.  Possibly because I think the actress they picked to play Avasarala is 100% wrong for the role.

Maybe it's shallow and should be able to be written around, but the character REALLY suffers from cable TV foul language constraints.  She shines when every third word is fuck.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2016, 07:04:47 PM »
I got 5 episodes in and nothing was really clicking for me. Thomas Jane was cool. The other story was boring, the earth politicians were outright annoying.
That said, I find all political intrigue outside the Veep to be utterly insufferable so maybe Im not the audience.

I think the political stuff is way more compelling in the books.  Possibly because I think the actress they picked to play Avasarala is 100% wrong for the role.

Maybe it's shallow and should be able to be written around, but the character REALLY suffers from cable TV foul language constraints.  She shines when every third word is fuck.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that touch in the book!  Oh man... The foul-mouthed, no-nonsense, motherly Indian lady.

I don't think it's shallow at all, I think those small touches are what adds depth to a character, rather than the character we have in the show which is a pretty boring ruthless politician lady.

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2016, 02:28:31 AM »
I forgot about the swearing as well,  it has been two years since I read the book.

We just started watching 'The Expanse' and I am loving it, I love the visuals, the intrigue. Even though they changed the appearance of Miller's character, I don't mind him.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2017, 12:17:21 PM »
I was about to say that my one problem with casting is that Avasaral looks way too young.  So I looked the actress up on Wiki, she does not look her age. 

It would've been amazing if they could CGI some crazy tall, big headed belters but that's asking too much.

I've only seen the first ep but so far I like it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 12:20:24 PM by Ah.hell »

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2017, 02:43:14 PM »
I've seen a few more now.  I guess they do have a few CGI tall belters or just a few tall skinny actors.

I've only seen a little bit of Fred Johnson but, I always pictured him has taller, skinnier, and older. 

I can get used to the main cast though. 

Offline Muriel

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • My personal blog and homepage
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2017, 04:48:15 PM »
They covered a whole lot more in the season premiere than I expected! Bodes well for the future :)
"Anything one man can imagine,
other men can make real."
- Jules Verne

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2017, 03:13:55 AM »
Damn, I'm going to have to put this thread on ignore for a while. According to Gawker, Aussie Netflix isn't going to get any episodes of season 2 until the entire season has been broadcast in the US.

Fuck international distribution.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2017, 04:39:54 AM »
Damn, I'm going to have to put this thread on ignore for a while. According to Gawker, Aussie Netflix isn't going to get any episodes of season 2 until the entire season has been broadcast in the US.

Fuck international distribution.

My policy is, if I'm paying for a channel that broadcasts a show I like and they delay it by more than 2 days, then I'll find an alternate way to watch it.
They still get their money and I get to watch it spoiler free and can discuss it on my favourite forums in a timely manner.

It is the only way to get them to treat us fairly. It worked with Game of Thrones (Shown at the same time as the US) and The Walking Dead (Only 1 hour delayed) and many other shows are now same day broadcasts.

Showing it after the season is ended is unacceptable. Pre-internet that was the norm in Australia, due to different seasonal TV schedules and getting the shows physically transported here, but not now.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2017, 12:30:35 PM »
This series is a very worthy successor to Babylon 5 with a bit of Firefly tossed in.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2017, 01:05:34 PM »
This series is a very worthy successor to Babylon 5 with a bit of Firefly tossed in.

I love the hard sci-fi details.  How they handled the ship-to-ship combat?  My, oh my! 

Season's off to a great start
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2017, 09:00:17 AM »
Started watching ep 1. Then I realized I forgot a crap ton of what happened last season. Need to read up. I'm finding this about a lot of series. There's so much you forget and you spend half the first ep going "okay who is this guy again?"

Korean Podcast

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2017, 10:04:30 AM »
I started re-listening to the first book.  The devices used to get Miller and the Rocinante in the same place at the same time in the book make more sense than the TV show, I wonder why they made the changes?  With the exception of Thomas Jane, the whole cast is 10 to 20 years younger than they should be. 

Still dig'n the show.

edit to change listening to re-listening.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 09:55:15 AM by Ah.hell »

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2017, 08:33:05 AM »
Filmed in Toronto, this show. Roy Thompson Hall seems to be used a lot for the UN HQ or something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Thomson_Hall

Korean Podcast

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2017, 12:00:13 PM »
Filmed in Toronto, this show. Roy Thompson Hall seems to be used a lot for the UN HQ or something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Thomson_Hall

I thought I saw the ballet in there too.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

personate-rain
personate-rain