Author Topic: Is it possible to start anew from a blank slate?  (Read 2629 times)

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Is it possible to start anew from a blank slate?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 08:08:33 PM »
That dog isnt so smart. She is going to get lung cancer.

Yes. Lady dogs can be academically successful too you guys.

Edit- I actually came to say: I know the rules are the rules and I dont think Id want exceptions made. I would have been interested though to see what would have happened if Quetz request had been possible.
Im a sucker for giving second chances. Though I must say, I certainly dont see anything unsalvageable at the moment.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 08:17:43 PM by Harry Black »

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 08:38:37 PM »
You guys don't even know it's Awesome220.   I envy your innocence.

Now I'm trying to figure out a way to get a post in from Awesome221(tm)  Hmmmmm..... Wonder if I can do it without breaking anything..
#notarealskeptic

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2015, 08:56:57 PM »
Well, if you worry that your past interactions will color your old ones, I cant say that you are wrong. Some people will expect certain behaviors, arguments etc from you, and some may even treat you differently based on how you have conducted yourself.

But a lot wont. I used to be much more ignorant than I am not, and have said some colorful things in the past. But ive been here 5+ years now, and I can easily say that the forum members will treat you semi-fairly from thread to thread, even if youve said colorful things in the past.

In short. You're treating this forum too seriously, this is supposed to be fun, arguing and debating things are supposed to be enjoyable.

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 11:44:18 AM »
Honestly i haven't been able to figure out what you did wrong to get spanked, I missed it, you appear to have learned something because you seem embarrassed.

Just wait till my next big mafia game, i expect the forum to crash in the middle of it like the last 2 big games i ran and everything you said in the last year will be lost  >:D

I admit to having a thread I was not proud of that I was happy got deleted, not that my opinions changed nor do I think the person I slapped around deserved it any less but I should have vented my own frustrations privately, I cant even remember who it was that i verbally and mentally slapped around, just the horrible topic and i don't want to bring up again.  I only received a mild public warning. I have sometimes wondered if the guy is still around and if he is i wonder if its someone I have learned to like so if anyone remembers this exchange PM me and maybe we will get a laugh out of the situation (Ill still slap you for stating the same opinions though)

I do wish both my screen name description and my first argument (in health) was around for both my own reference and for some others, I was brash and argued poorly but not as poorly as I was treated by some in those threads, I have learned allot since then , I have noticed that the mild abuse I encountered seems to be going away with new members and Johnny just takes getting used too.   :P
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 02:22:24 PM »
Quetz, although I have a few problems with your general response to your suspension, and despite not being able to grant your request for a clean slate, I assure you that I don't hate you, as you've recently alleged. I genuinely only give a toss about whether members stick to the rules or not. Sometimes that brings judgment calls with it, but one of the reasons that we've got five independently-minded moderators is to let them subject each decision to a tremendous amount of scrutiny.

That is to say, we don't really care which opinions you express, but we do care about how you behave while doing so. If you've come to recognise that fact and adjust your approach accordingly in future, we'll leave you alone.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2015, 09:43:22 AM »

Suggested signature:

"Ruff, ruff!" 
- Professor Barkington, age 7

I need to teach my Cocker Spaniel to smoke a pipe.
Well.  There it is.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2015, 06:31:21 PM »
Well, if you worry that your past interactions will color your old ones, I cant say that you are wrong. Some people will expect certain behaviors, arguments etc from you, and some may even treat you differently based on how you have conducted yourself.

But a lot wont. I used to be much more ignorant than I am not, and have said some colorful things in the past. But ive been here 5+ years now, and I can easily say that the forum members will treat you semi-fairly from thread to thread, even if youve said colorful things in the past.

In short. You're treating this forum too seriously, this is supposed to be fun, arguing and debating things are supposed to be enjoyable.

My advice is that you don't need to do that at all.  If you make an effort to interact with people differently, everyone will respond and what's even better they'll notice and respect your personal growth.

We will see. Time will tell.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2015, 07:29:21 PM »
It most certainly is possible.

Here's how.

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2015, 08:06:01 PM »
It's possible to start anew. But the blank slate part is not up to you; it is up to your audience.
The best you can do is to tell them that you have changed your ways, and hope that they take you at your word.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2015, 08:29:42 PM »
You'll be fine Quetz, relax.

I am a sucker for second chances as well. I promise if I see anyone judging you unfairly based on past threads instead of the thread in front of them, I will call them on it.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2016, 07:56:28 PM »
I have such a bad memory that if someone is rude to me in one thread I can't remember in the next thread that I'm supposed to be mad at him.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2016, 08:40:38 PM »
Honestly? A name change is the way to go. Nobody bothered to read the announcements, and even when we do we forget about it immediately.
I can't tell most people here apart anyway. Change your avatar and I might think you're a different person altogether. Change your name and signature as well and I'll probably assume you're a different person.
I'm that dense.
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2016, 09:40:44 PM »
Not that dense. Name, avatar and signature are literally the three identifying marks on the forum. Change those and you're effectively a different person.

Changing posting style is a harder thing, though, and changing thinking style even harder than that.

personate-rain
personate-rain