Author Topic: The Dresden Files or something else?  (Read 2135 times)

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
The Dresden Files or something else?
« on: January 01, 2016, 04:18:06 PM »
I did search for the old Dresden Files thread, it seems it was lost in the crash.

While I am awaiting book 16 of the Dresden Files, I happened upon a few short stories by Jim Butcher, and it has me longing for more, or another similar series.

I am thinking of trying Simon R. Green Nightside series. Has anyone read this? Opinions?

This site is fantastic for book recommendations, may I have some please.

Many thanks.

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: The Dresden Files or something else?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 07:34:50 PM »
Havent read Nightside.

In a very similar style to the Dresden Files Id also recommend Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles, and the Alex Verus series by Benedict Jacka.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline ShadowSot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 08:55:04 PM »
Nightside is a fun series, though not as good as Dresden.
 Nightside is cery much a rule of cool series, with loads of shout outs.
 It and his Hawk and Fisher series are my favorites of his.

But more like the Dresden Files is the Rivers of London series, which I heavily recommend. By Ben Aaronovitch
 Humor and style is very similar to Dresden.
 For strickly badly written but fun to read there is the Time ofBill. Basically what if a twenty something nerd got bit by a vampire?
Hijinks and hilarity ensue.
 Also echo Caffiene, Iron Druid is very good and touches on celtic and other less seen mythologies.
 It also has a scene where a two thousand year plus old druid, a Russian thunder god, a vampire, and some other sing its a small world after all after accidentally walking in on two frost giants bumping uglies.
 And Alex Verus is very good. He doesn't have the power of players like Dresden, and has to get by with hiss ability to see the future possibilities and guile. 
“I'm smart enough to know that I'm dumb.”
 - Richard Feynman

Offline ShadowSot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 09:06:01 PM »
And if you haven't read them yet, his Codex Alera series is very good too
“I'm smart enough to know that I'm dumb.”
 - Richard Feynman

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 05:22:58 AM »
And if you haven't read them yet, his Codex Alera series is very good too

I have 'read' those.

When I am into books, I tear through audio books.

Thanks for the recommendations, I think I might try a sample of Iron Druid first, Nightside is just not grabbing me.

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 11:09:21 AM »
Buche ríe tanino his Sheetrock time on his Newell series. I don't know if he will bring himself back to finish the Dresden files. He said he wanted like 21 to 25 books or something.

I really liked the last two books. Made a pretty wicked turn on events that I didn't really expect.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 05:55:27 PM »
Havent read Nightside.

In a very similar style to the Dresden Files Id also recommend Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles, and the Alex Verus series by Benedict Jacka.

I am reading the first book of the Alex Verus series, so far, quite enjoyable. It is also amusing as it is set in London, in particular, Camden, which I am really familiar with.

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 09:26:58 AM »
I have now made my way through all the available Iron Druid novels (great fun), all the Alex Versus novels, which I enjoyed immensely, and I am now on the last book of the Peter Grant/Rivers of London series, which has been my favourite of the three.

If anyone hasn't read 'The Laundry Files' by Charles Stross, they are also fantastic.

I am now looking for another series while I wait for the next novel in each of these series (and George RR Martin).

Any other suggestions for urban fantasy?

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 10:02:41 AM »
So, when is the next Dresden book coming? I've been thinking of rereading the Dresden Files Cause I was thinking of how much I enjoyed Fool Moon, Summer knight, And everything after Proven Guilty.

I like how characters have to change themselves or how they evolve through the series. Murphy, Molly, Thomas, Susan, etc. They all pretty much change in attitude and persona in a believable way as the series carries on.

(Now that I check, it's been two years since Skin Game, so it's not like it's been too long. Although it feels like an eternity.)
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 01:12:08 PM »
Just because I like playing the part of Debby Downer.   I eventually quit the Iron Druid series and even feel a bit silly for having read as many as I did. (I feel the same about the vampire chronicles) The main character was just too much of a mary sue for me, and a relationship between a 2000 year old man and his 20 something student too creepy especially given my dislike of my perceived mary sue quality of the main character.

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 06:38:19 PM »
I am still looking for a new urban fantasy series.

I tried with the first book of the series Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews, but it really didn't grab me.

Any suggestions?

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 04:25:18 PM »
Have you tried Artemis Fowl?

I liked it when I read them, but in retrospect they feel childish and repetitive. And Thus I haven't been motivated in getting the last book.

On a side note, while reading that series was the first time I heard the term "Homeopathic" used in a medical term in the series, before I knew skeptics existed.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 04:36:23 PM »

I tried with the first book of the series Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews, but it really didn't grab me.

Any suggestions?
The Gentleman Bastards series? It's a medieval setting, not modern, but it tends to be urban as the cast of characters are a gang of thieves who pull off rather elaborate heists.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 05:37:32 PM »

Any suggestions?
The Gentleman Bastards series? It's a medieval setting, not modern, but it tends to be urban as the cast of characters are a gang of thieves who pull off rather elaborate heists.

I read 'The Lies of Locke Lamora' and I loved most of this book. I have started 'Red Seas Under Red Skies' several times, but haven't gotten very far with it, I may have to give it another go.

I would put this series in the steam punk category rather than urban fantasy.

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 05:42:39 PM »
Have you tried Artemis Fowl?

I liked it when I read them, but in retrospect they feel childish and repetitive. And Thus I haven't been motivated in getting the last book.

On a side note, while reading that series was the first time I heard the term "Homeopathic" used in a medical term in the series, before I knew skeptics existed.

I have done the same thing with a few series before, I don't mind slightly simple books, especially when I am alone in the lab and listening to audiobooks.

If it is too detailed, for example, almost everything by Iain M. Banks, I have to repeat the same chapters over and over again as I miss his elegant writing or subtle point that is actually quite important to the development of the character or plot.

personate-rain