Author Topic: Is VR finally here?  (Read 9748 times)

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
Is VR finally here?
« on: January 04, 2016, 02:44:10 PM »
Anybody getting it? Pre orders start in a few days, I'm curious to see how it works and how much it will cost? I have no immediate plans to get one but think it seems cool and would love to try gaming in it.

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 02:10:36 PM by moj »

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: oculus rift
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 03:34:59 PM »
Nah. It's a stupid gimmick just like motion controls and those dance pad things and guitar-shaped controllers and 3D TVs and voice commands. It'll be super popular for six months, then fade away like every other fad.

Now if someone would make a good gamepad, that I would get excited about.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 03:37:16 PM by Sordid »

Offline Pusher Robot

• Frequent Poster
  • Do you have stairs in your house?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 04:04:02 PM »
Nah. It's a stupid gimmick just like motion controls and those dance pad things and guitar-shaped controllers and 3D TVs and voice commands. It'll be super popular for six months, then fade away like every other fad.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/controllers/elite-wireless-controller
A novice was trying to fix a broken Lisp machine by turning the power off and on.
Knight, seeing what the student was doing, spoke sternly: “You cannot fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no understanding of what is going wrong.”
Knight turned the machine off and on.
The machine worked.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 04:09:23 PM »
I was thinking it could be a good stand in for huge tv screens.
You sit in your tiny shoebox apartment and get to watch movies on a massive flat screen.
Also, if we get consoles that multitask, we could all share one xbox as a hub and play our different games in the same room (or different rooms) simultaneously (watching my flatmate play FIFA made me wish for this technology).

Also, it might be pretty decent flight training tech and could maybe be used as an extra layer for driver testing?

Offline Anders

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 04:29:32 PM »
I thought oculus rift was the McGuffin in "End of Days". ???
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 05:47:24 PM »
The dailey tech news prediction show all the guests had big ideas about VR in 2016. I think there is a lot of potential but right now only 1% of computers can run it well. I think we will see some cool things start this year and it will spread in unpredictable ways.

http://www.dailytechnewsshow.com/dtns-2657-predictions-for-2016/

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 06:07:35 PM »
I want one very much but since I will need a new PC to go with it, probably not happening anytime soon.

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 07:40:18 PM »
I want one very much but since I will need a new PC to go with it, probably not happening anytime soon.

This.

First step is a new PC and I won't buy anything unless it's next-to-top-of-the-line, which is still a lot of money and I'm still struggling to justify to myself the expenditure since most of the games I play are really low graphics indie stuff.

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 04:13:15 AM »
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/controllers/elite-wireless-controller

That's three times as expensive as the regular one while offering only marginal improvements and not addressing any of the fundamental design problems only addressing one of the fundamental design problems.

Also, if we get consoles that multitask, we could all share one xbox as a hub and play our different games in the same room (or different rooms) simultaneously (watching my flatmate play FIFA made me wish for this technology).

We're not going to get consoles that multitask. Consoles are built down to a price, they're never going to be able to run two games at once like you describe. You want a PC for that.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 05:52:21 AM by Sordid »

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 11:12:27 AM »
I'm not particularly interested in Oculus Rift, but will keep my eye on Sony's Project Morpheus--which I think has more potential for success, and that one Steam is developing with HTC.  Unlike having to upgrade a PC for Oculus, Morpheus is intended to simply work with the PS4, theoretically requiring only a firmware update.  I think Morpheus will probably also be sold cheaper.
http://fromnothinggamestudios.com/

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?"

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 01:42:33 PM »
It's taking orders now, 599. Too rich for me at the moment, I would love to see this bring the rise of old school arcades with VR games.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 09:36:50 PM by moj »

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 08:00:14 PM »
Im really interested... Ive already got a Samsung Gear VR; but at the moment and especially at that price Im finding it hard to pick the Oculus over one of the competitors.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 11:36:15 PM »

I dont think it will be a fad, Its hard to compare this to a dance pad or guitar controller (both of which are still in stores and have been selling for more than 10 years) it mite be somewhat fad like with the gaming community but filmmakers are interested in this as well as advertisers and online storefronts. It mite just revolutionize film but i can also imagine a 3D immersive film would be tiresome and not for everyone much like 3D projections.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Mormegil

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Know Evolution, know life. No Evolution, no life
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 05:54:25 PM »
Getting mine in March.  Already have the DK2 and play Elite: Dangerous and War Thunder in it.  That first time flying through and asteroid field is really something else.  I believe I beat the odds.

This one will be for the competing HTC Vive first, but eventually go on Rift when the hand controllers are released later in the year.

Offline Mormegil

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Know Evolution, know life. No Evolution, no life
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 03:00:14 PM »
Went to the Virtual Reality Los Angeles Winter Expo.  Here's some video I got (I'm the guy in the brown shirt).

personate-rain