Author Topic: Is VR finally here?  (Read 9347 times)

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: oculus rift
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2016, 10:59:31 AM »
Sordid, I don't know you from Adam, but you seem sooooooo curmudgeonly.  Like to the point I feel like it is a character you are doing, because no one can that negative about EVERYTHING in  life.

I don't think that I'm being overly negative about VR (let alone "everything in life"; I have no idea how you can assess my attitude to "everything in life" from a handful of posts about VR headsets), I'm just pointing out some of the problems that it has and that might cause the technology to fail to achieve widespread adoption. This is a skeptic's forum, I thought being skeptical of things was the done thing. Instead everyone seems to be jumping on the hype train and drinking the kool-aid. I guess we'll see in a few years who was right. I hope it's not me.

I also don't get what you mean by Adam but I suppose it's not important.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 11:01:41 AM by Sordid »

Offline gehnofdni

• Off to a Start
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2016, 04:26:51 PM »
I actually recently wrote a blog about this for my company.

http://fulkra.com/blog/vr-exploring-the-virtual-landscape/

In short, I'm a huge advocate of this technology, but I am going to wait at least a year.  HTC Vive is coming out in a few months, and anyone thinking of adopting VR should wait to see which model is best for you. Also, Nvidia will be releasing the GTX 1080 GPU later this year, and you are going to want & need a top-end GPU to drive the experience.  Besides, I suspect the price tag on the Rift 2 & Vive 2 will be lower.

People on this thread are vastly underestimating the potential of VR.  It isn't just for gaming, though admittedly, other kinds of applications won't become mainstream in the next year.

Check out this video from HTC where they discuss some of the potential.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2016, 04:33:15 PM »
There's hype, and then there's recognizing well established trends like Moore's Law, rapid advances in materials development technologies, and accounting for the billions of dollars being spent by big companies to bring VR and AR to market.

I'd expect to see AR glasses with a wide field of vision and solid environment tracking introduced in the next five years at CES as a prototype, and for public purchase within ten years.

I'm watching the video; I'll read your post later.

evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2016, 05:04:29 PM »
I'd expect to see AR glasses with a wide field of vision and solid environment tracking introduced in the next five years at CES as a prototype, and for public purchase within ten years.

Five to ten years, huh? ;)

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2016, 08:19:45 PM »
I have friends working on films for the rift right now, its pretty neat stuff, immersify yourself in the film, its difficult too make though, the camera rig sees 360 degrees in all directions, now where do we put the crew? LOL

I want to use it for work more than games, i never have enough screen real estate, I imagine being able to see several pseudo monitors within the rift display, just tilt my head a bit to see them all, zoom in and out as needed.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2016, 09:44:43 AM »
Im more on Sordids wave length for this.
VR would be cool but this probably isnt the VR we are looking for. 
I think it could have lots of interesting uses but gaming is probably the least of them. I would be way more excited about good AR games to be honest.
Isnt there some thing about the device needing an unusual amount of high quality usb ports to function?

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2016, 10:13:23 AM »
I want a Fallout-style HUD and will settle for nothing less.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2016, 11:36:38 AM »

Five to ten years, huh? ;)

I had the same thought as I wrote it. Still, looking at the tech required and the tech we have, I think I'm being very cautious in this prediction.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online RumbleFishTwist

• Off to a Start
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2016, 11:26:16 PM »
I want one but don't know if I'll get one.  I am gathering parts for new gaming PC build anyway.
I've really been into Dirt Rally since I got it and the VR videos of it look really cool.
I want to pet dinosaurs in VR too!
Rawr!

Offline Mormegil

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Know Evolution, know life. No Evolution, no life
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2016, 02:54:23 PM »
Awful because why? They might not be played in the home, but LARP style FPS/paintball could be pretty awesome.

So you're going to run around with a VR headset on your head? That sounds like a great way to blindly stumble over something, such as the damn thing's own cables that you're trailing behind you, and break a very expensive toy.  And how exactly are you going to aim with a VR headset on your head? It's going to have head tracking of some sort, but no way is it going to be precise and responsive enough to accommodate aiming in a serious FPS. Not to mention what if you want turn left in the game, then left again, then left again? Easy enough with a mouse, but what're you going to do with a VR headset, unscrew your head? You could of course just have the headset on while you sit at your desk and use traditional M+K controls, but that's a great way to give yourself motion sickness due to the fact that your sight tells your brain you're moving and looking around while the rest of your senses tell it you're not.

Clearly today's FPS model won't do in a room scale VR game.  I can't see the Virtuix Omni treadmill as every becoming mainstream.  I tried it, and it felt really awkward. They said you get use to it after about an hour.

Here's a really cool looking game using teleportation to move around.  Sort of Portal meets Splinter Cell

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2016, 03:55:44 PM »
That actually looks really cool, and I love how they got around the movement controls problem by simply not allowing the player to move. It reminds me of Sentinel in that regard, which also used a static teleporting player to overcome hardware limitations. I'd quite like to see a remake of Sentinel for VR, come to think of it.

Offline Mormegil

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Know Evolution, know life. No Evolution, no life
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2016, 05:35:09 PM »
The guys in that video are the developers of "Hover Junkers."  They get around the movement issue by having the entire room move as a platform in their game.  Basically a mobile hovering sofa fortress.

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2016, 02:16:23 PM »
So, one of the guys at our job visited a conference attended by Valve and HTC, and they got the HTC Vive for free.  So they set it up at work today to tinker with it and I finally tried modern VR. 

And that's pretty much all it took.  Two demos and I'm sold on this stuff.  Granted, I don't have a PC set-up that may be be particularly friendly for it, but the Playstation VR is set to come out in a few months or so, and now I'm looking forward to it. 

Just. Wow.
http://fromnothinggamestudios.com/

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?"

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2016, 12:45:56 PM »
I'm waiting to see how much Playstation VR is. According to Steam my PC can run the Vive but I just don't have that kind of money (The Vive is estimated to come in at around $800). But rumor is that the PSVR might be sub $500.

Online RumbleFishTwist

• Off to a Start
« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2016, 05:20:41 PM »
Steam is taking pre-orders for the Vive.
Release date is April 5th.
$799

personate-rain