Author Topic: Is VR finally here?  (Read 9030 times)

Online RumbleFishTwist

• Off to a Start
Re: Is VR finally here?
« Reply #135 on: December 20, 2016, 10:07:10 AM »
HTC got my bad cable last Monday but customer service has no idea where my replacement is. So last night I bought one from Newegg for $40. When I eventually get my cable from HTC I'll return it to Newegg. Fuck! I won't be buying any more HTC products.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #136 on: December 20, 2016, 10:26:58 AM »
plus one for newegg, happy customer for years.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #137 on: December 20, 2016, 11:40:13 AM »
We used our amazon wedding registry also as our xmas gift list. Someone got us a Samsung vr but not sure yet when we will get it. I'm hoping xmas...

Offline fonebone

• don't want a pickle
  • Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #138 on: December 28, 2016, 05:12:37 PM »
I just got my Touch controllers in for my Rift last week.  Its pretty amazing.  I really got my Rift more for flight sims and have put a shit ton of hours into Elite Dangerous (I call it space truckers.)  The handheld controllers really bring another element into the game that I didnt even really know I wanted.  So far my favorite two games for Touch are Space Pirate Trainer and Superhot.  I wish Space Pirate Trainer had more depth but damn its fun to have a shield and gun and take out drones.

Online RumbleFishTwist

• Off to a Start
« Reply #139 on: December 28, 2016, 11:12:40 PM »
Well, VR is still not here for me but I am optimistic.  I got my new cable (not replacement from HTC but the one I bought) and I still can't get the Vive working.  So tonight I chatted with support again and again let tech do remote access and check things out.  Seemed to be going well, after some trial and error he told me that the error I have is probably a software issue.  Also says he recommends uninstalling the Vive software, Steam VR, and Steam, and letting Vive setup reinstall everything fresh.
OK, that is fine.
But then he uninstalled Steam and rebooted me.  Now I have to download ALL of my games again. 
This is going to take WEEKS.  He could have just told me "Backup all your Steam games then uninstall and reinstall x, y, & z."
Grrr!!!!
This better work!

Online RumbleFishTwist

• Off to a Start
« Reply #140 on: December 30, 2016, 11:33:13 PM »
Grr!!! 2 more hours in chat with tech support. Supposedly tomorrow between noon and 9 "the call back guys" are going to call me about "the issue" and "the fix". This person didn't define the issue or the fix but at least didn't delete any of my shit. I just hope "call back guys" are going to tell me how I return this piece of shit and get my $ back.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
    • The International League of Skeptics
« Reply #141 on: December 31, 2016, 12:48:55 AM »
OMG, you are experiencing my absolute nightmare (and default expectation) for new tech.  Sorry to hear :(

Online RumbleFishTwist

• Off to a Start
« Reply #142 on: January 02, 2017, 11:40:27 PM »
So I've been around and around with HTC support.  Now they say it is a problem with my video card and I am on my own other than support for my vid card. I'm not buying it. When I plug Vive into HDMI Nvidea control panel shows is as DVI but when my other monitor is in HDMI it shows as HDMI. I'm beyond my 30 day return policy due in large part to the 17 fucking days I waited for replacement cable.
Just fucking shoot me now.

Online RumbleFishTwist

• Off to a Start
« Reply #143 on: January 07, 2017, 02:14:41 PM »
Well  my Gigabyte 980Ti was messed up.
Bit the bullet and got ASUS Strix 1080.
By the way, the 1080 runs MUCH cooler than the 980ti.

Vive works now.  Now reinstalling Steam apps and games.

Raaawwwrrr!!!
 :
  ;)

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
    • The International League of Skeptics
« Reply #144 on: January 07, 2017, 03:59:02 PM »
Fingers pointlessly crossed!!! Good luck!

Online RumbleFishTwist

• Off to a Start
« Reply #145 on: January 07, 2017, 08:25:10 PM »
Works great.  Played some Asteroid Blaster, tried to play ping pong, banged my desk with controller.  gotta figure that out.
Will probably just dip in and try different games and apps I have for a bit before I really dive into any single thing.  Vive doesn't natively work with Dirt Rally but there s a work around I have to research.  That game about gives me a fucking heart attack on the monitor with bumper cam view. When I work up the balls I'm going to try in car view, of course using my Logitech wheel and pedals.

Online RumbleFishTwist

• Off to a Start
« Reply #146 on: January 11, 2017, 10:33:22 PM »
I still haven't tried Dirt Rally but I've really been enjoying playing ping pong. I used to play a lot when I was younger.  Now I'm downloading the demo for a roller coaster game. I don't want to spend $40 for motion sickness that some reviewers mention. I've been liking the vive a lot so far. Getting better at ping pong too. Might soon move myself up from amateur for a bit. When I can hold my own there I'll try online multiplayer.

personate-rain