Author Topic: I predict Song of Ice and Fire will NEVER be finished  (Read 4572 times)

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: I predict Song of Ice and Fire will NEVER be finished
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2016, 10:12:02 AM »
I think it's a stretch to say they're in the same series, the way the other books we're discussing are. Each stands on its own with it's own beginning and end.

That's my exact point - they are a shared universe and not a series.  You can't really argue it.  Foundation is more like a series than Future History is, but less like a series than, say, The Wheel of Time is.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2016, 03:02:37 AM »
given his girth, he may not finish it. Perhaps he needs a writing partner, who can complete the series where he, uh, leaves off.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2016, 06:41:19 AM »
I once held fears we'd never see the end of the books, but I think we will one way or another.

It would not surprise me if George has already finished "The Winds of Winter" and is delaying the release until after the TV show finishes and have a shorter space before Book 7 "A Dream of Spring"

Either way there is going to be enough written, combined with what the TV show knows and does with Season 7 for a competent fantasy writer to complete the series.

Ideally I want George to finish it himself and before the end of this decade and not extend it out to an 8th book as he has hinted at. It was originally going to be a trilogy.

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2016, 09:00:13 AM »
Every time this thread comes up, I panic a little that the latest post is an announcement of Martin's death. And yeah, it'd be nice if he managed to finish this decade. I quite like the books, but goddamn does he like to drag things out.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2016, 09:32:53 AM »
I think even if Martin does finish what HE plans, Westeros won't be finished.

Just look at Frank Herbert's "Dune" books.

His completion of the series and eventual death resulted in MORE Dune books, not fewer.  (Though in my head, that series ended with "God Emperor of Dune")

Well.  There it is.

Online Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2016, 01:47:25 PM »
Agreed. With all the legends, tales, history that martin off hand mentions in his books, and the fact that this entire book series is a small slice in westeros history, there are many tales to be told.

Do authors need an open license to write in another author's world? How does that work?

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2016, 01:56:21 PM »
Agreed. With all the legends, tales, history that martin off hand mentions in his books, and the fact that this entire book series is a small slice in westeros history, there are many tales to be told.

Do authors need an open license to write in another author's world? How does that work?

Typically, although some are open to Fan Fic, and open licencing.  GRRM is very against fan fic.  He does have an open licence shared world that he started, but no longer writes for, called Wild Cards.  But I do not know if he would do that for Westeros, but I doubt it.  See here:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/151914.html
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 02:01:29 PM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2016, 08:08:07 AM »

Typically, although some are open to Fan Fic, and open licencing.  GRRM is very against fan fic.  He does have an open licence shared world that he started, but no longer writes for, called Wild Cards.  But I do not know if he would do that for Westeros, but I doubt it.  See here:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/151914.html

The thing is, MZB handled that fiasco VERY badly and got either bad legal advice on it or didn't seek legal advice at all. It's a poor example for Martin and other writers opposed to fanfic to cite as a "reason" why they oppose fanfiction.

Now, I have no issues with Martin not liking fanfic and not wanting people to do it for Westeros. His world, his rules. He created it he gets to dictate how its used. He doesn't "owe" anyone anything in terms of letting them write in his universe. If that's his position, fine, stake it out and stick to it.

But using the MZB example doesn't help his case because she handled the situation badly and it reflects badly on Martin and others that cite it.

Offline Spock.

• Brand New
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2016, 03:57:35 PM »
Half a decade is really far too long between installments of a story as complex as Fire and Ice.
Considering the complexity of the story I hardly see it as being "far too long". Each book is about 1000 pages and the level of detail put into each page is astonishing. I am not surprised that it has taken him so long to get to where he is at with the story now, personally.

Offline fonebone

• don't want a pickle
  • Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2016, 03:27:39 PM »
After Robert Jordan died before completing The Wheel of Time series, I've been hoping that Martin has detailed outlines and notes in case someone has to finish it for him.

Hasnt Martin basically said if he dies the series dies with him?  No one else gets to finish cause "fuck you its mine!" basically.  I wont read any more of the book basically because of this.  I guess its his IP to do with as he pleases, but it strikes me as exceedingly selfish. 
'

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2016, 03:35:02 PM »
That seems at odds with how he handled the TV show, but it could be.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2016, 03:38:45 PM »
After Robert Jordan died before completing The Wheel of Time series, I've been hoping that Martin has detailed outlines and notes in case someone has to finish it for him.
Then you end up with something like Brian Herbert.  A dozen books set in a similar universe to the original but not quite as good and that don't quite makes sense in the context of the original. 

Offline gcason

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2016, 03:05:32 PM »
Then you end up with something like Brian Herbert.  A dozen books set in a similar universe to the original but not quite as good and that don't quite makes sense in the context of the original.

Agreed, but I've invested 20 years in this series and I'm seeing it through to the end no matter who finishes it.
My name is gcason and I approved this message.

Offline sowellfan

• Off to a Start
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2017, 01:56:58 AM »

Hasnt Martin basically said if he dies the series dies with him?  No one else gets to finish cause "fuck you its mine!" basically.  I wont read any more of the book basically because of this.  I guess its his IP to do with as he pleases, but it strikes me as exceedingly selfish. 
'
In this article he indicates that no one else will be finishing the books after he dies, if he and his wife have anything to say about it.

http://winteriscoming.net/2015/12/02/george-r-r-martin-doesnt-see-anyone-else-writing-in-the-a-song-of-ice-and-fire-universe/

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2017, 10:27:11 AM »
There is very little to argue with in that article.

I've read all the Frank Herbert "Dune" books and only a couple of the Brian Herbert ones.  They just didn't have that same magic.  They were decent, but clearly lesser books.
Well.  There it is.

personate-rain