Author Topic: Would posting this kind of link be against the rules or not?  (Read 832 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
Would posting this kind of link be against the rules or not?
« on: January 24, 2016, 05:51:45 PM »
So I know Jay this week was at a Skeptics in the Pub in Malmö, Sweden. I originally posted a link about it, but removed it as the rules regarding these issues seem unclear to me. Was it permissible for me to post that link or not? The link contains 8 photos of Jay and a few Swedish skeptics. The link goes to someone's Facebook profile, but you need not to be the Facebook friend of that person to view the photos (I'm not his Facebook friend), though you do need to be signed into Facebook to view them.

Would that fall under the ruling against posting about someone's private information or not? Would it be impermissible in any other way?

(It was sorta hinted/suggested that this event would be talked about on a podcast (not SGU).)

If it does, then please appreciate my effort at looking carefully into how the rules are applied in this case.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Double-Plus Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
Re: Would posting this kind of link be against the rules or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 02:30:04 PM »
Grey area, you're right. What wins out here is that the public content of a Facebook profile is not private information. Even if it concerns the private life of the poster, they've made it public themselves by posting it as such. This makes it entirely possible that anyone with an interest could find these photos, or others like them, by spending a few minutes on Google.

As with all of our rules, this one's subject to a fair-use policy of sorts. Say someone starts compiling a foe's personal details - however freely available - for the purpose of getting others to harass them. We'd frown on that. But if someone wants to link someone's public profile to show a few snaps of Jay at an event, that's perfectly fine.

Additionally, we do appreciate your effort at looking carefully into how the rules are applied here. Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 02:33:28 PM by Louie »
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
Re: Would posting this kind of link be against the rules or not?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 04:46:50 PM »
Thanks for the reply. The link is now restored.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi