Poll

How in are you? Dates are likely June 27-June 30 ish.

Definitely in, provided I can swing timing and $$ and transport
Maybe, looks interesting, 50% likely to come.
Eeeeeh, less likely 25% likely to come.
I'm just makin' trouble, I probably won't come.

Author Topic: Skepticamp(ing)  (Read 25117 times)

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
Re: Skepticamp(ing)
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2016, 11:00:47 AM »
Okay, holding it in the Olympic Mountains in Washington state CHECK
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 11:10:18 AM »
I would like to organize a retreat for any curious, science loving, outdoorsy folks that possibly includes Skepticamp style presentations. Kind of a blend between Skepticamp and Skeptics Under the Stars. Possible locations include Cacapon Resort State Park, WVor Ithaca NY (Gorges and a Sagan connection). We could potentially drag along an astronomer for star gazing and such. Nobody would be required to present and I was thinking that maybe a loose itinerary with group events that can be selectively participated in might be the best way to proceed.

Accommodations would be ideally cheap in cabin-style lodging but absolutely with modern amenities, and an attempt will be made to be near enough a town for food and beverage adventures.

Timeline would be late summer, early fall.. August or September perhaps?

Please share your thoughts, I am especially interested answers to the following questions:
Would anyone like to this? Definitely? Maybe? What would prevent you for doing it? What would you like to do if you would come?
Airfare from the West Coast.  :'(

If it helps at all, I'll be driving to wherever from reasonable distance from four NY airports- I can drive a few out-of-town folks if its cheaper or easier to fly into one of them...

Me too.  Although I have to keep room in the car for all of the Qubie's Kitchen cookies and mac 'n' cheese I plan to bring to share.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2016, 11:11:22 AM »
If you're going to take along the mac and cheese, don't forget the ketchup! :)
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2016, 11:12:25 AM »
If you're going to take along the mac and cheese, don't forget the ketchup! :)

bane  >:(
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 11:30:30 AM »
I'm interested. I would likely be driving down from Toronto (so Toronto skeptics with interest take note) and June is better than Aug/Sep.

What is your position on dogs? I have a big old bouvier who would have a blast, and TBH he's pretty skeptical except when it comes to vermin, whereupon he transforms into a ruthless killingchasing machine. I have other options for Wally, so he's not a limiting factor - but I thought I'd ask.

As for presentations - well, I'm a professional public speaker and facilitator, so I can help organize any kind of agenda related to that side of things whether I can actually go or not. Also, I'm an instructor on a variety of topics, and can totes help anybody who wants to try their lips at making a presentation to a friendly crowd - again - whether I can make it or not. Video chat is a wonderful thing.

6EQUJ5 - PM me if you'd like me to send you some event planning stuff. (I have resources for agendas and such because I'm frankly shite at planning, and need all the help I can get.)

GRATE IDAEA!1!!
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2016, 11:48:28 AM »
>:( If brilligtove is in then I am

(click to show/hide)

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2016, 12:28:36 PM »
As I said off-forum to 6E, since only two people in the discussion thus far have expressed any preference for location, I will proceed with research and information about Cacapon (including the rules re dogs), since I'm familiar with it.  I will serve the group as Native Guide and Interpreter.

Offline fonebone

• don't want a pickle
  • Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2016, 12:45:15 PM »
East coast is so farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :P

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2016, 12:47:50 PM »
>:( If brilligtove is in then I am

(click to show/hide)

You know,
(click to show/hide)
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2016, 12:49:30 PM »

Great motorcyclin' in that part of the world.  Also, it's not quite the coast.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2016, 01:06:13 PM »

This place? http://www.cacaponresort.com/

Offline Skulker

• Mafia Pimp
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • I survived both forum crashes of 2014!
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2016, 01:14:46 PM »

Is everything coal powered there?
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
- Larry Hardiman

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2016, 01:15:11 PM »

That's the one.  Plus Berkeley Springs State Park nearby.  Please note, right away, that Cacapon is designated a Resort Park by virtue of its designer golf course.  The 1950s lodge is clean and comfy but modest; it lags way behind the other Resort Parks in swankiness.  There are several different cabin options.

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2016, 01:15:44 PM »

Is everything coal powered there?

Hush you.  We're exploring alternative energy these days in the Mountain State.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2016, 01:19:39 PM »
I would like to organize a retreat for any curious, science loving, outdoorsy folks that possibly includes Skepticamp style presentations. Kind of a blend between Skepticamp and Skeptics Under the Stars. Possible locations include Cacapon Resort State Park, WVor Ithaca NY (Gorges and a Sagan connection). We could potentially drag along an astronomer for star gazing and such. Nobody would be required to present and I was thinking that maybe a loose itinerary with group events that can be selectively participated in might be the best way to proceed.

Accommodations would be ideally cheap in cabin-style lodging but absolutely with modern amenities, and an attempt will be made to be near enough a town for food and beverage adventures.

Timeline would be late summer, early fall.. August or September perhaps?

Please share your thoughts, I am especially interested answers to the following questions:
Would anyone like to this? Definitely? Maybe? What would prevent you for doing it? What would you like to do if you would come?
Airfare from the West Coast.  :'(

If it helps at all, I'll be driving to wherever from reasonable distance from four NY airports- I can drive a few out-of-town folks if its cheaper or easier to fly into one of them...

He. Depending on dates it might be faster and easier for me to fly in on Porter to Newark, if a ride is in the offing. My wife's family is in Poughkeepsie, so I'd see if she can get appropriate time off to meet me there for the drive home or something.

Plans are afoot...