Author Topic: The Magicians  (Read 1631 times)

Online PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
The Magicians
« on: February 17, 2016, 09:41:26 AM »
Anyone watching it?  It airs on Scyfy (or whatever the hell the call it).  I enjoyed the books, with some reservations*.  And the show is getting pretty good reviews.  What do y'all think?

*Rape should not be used as character advancement for the boyfriend.  While I'm on the subject, fuck you Downton Abby......
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: The Magicians
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 01:48:55 PM »
I'm somewhat enjoying Harry Potter's Creek.  I find the lead actor to be somewhat irritating, but it's about magic and shit so it'll do.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 03:06:02 AM »
So I'm watching it and quite enjoying it. It's finding its balance as the season progresses. The acting is getting better - and it was a solid C+ to start with, unlike the Netflix series "Shadow Hunters" that has (yet) to overcome the acting.

The shows I'm interested in right now seem to have a BSG+[concept] vibe to them. The Magicians is BSG in tone, but Harry Potter in concept. The 100 is BSG tone as well, with something like Red Dawn as the concept? I'm not sure, really. Just sayin'.

I do like the machinations and the willingness to eviscerate characters that one might think important. I haven't read the books or looked at the publication timeline, so I don't know how they relate to GRRMDeath.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 04:15:30 AM »
So I'm watching it and quite enjoying it. It's finding its balance as the season progresses. The acting is getting better - and it was a solid C+ to start with, unlike the Netflix series "Shadow Hunters" that has (yet) to overcome the acting.

The shows I'm interested in right now seem to have a BSG+[concept] vibe to them. The Magicians is BSG in tone, but Harry Potter in concept. The 100 is BSG tone as well, with something like Red Dawn as the concept? I'm not sure, really. Just sayin'.

I do like the machinations and the willingness to eviscerate characters that one might think important. I haven't read the books or looked at the publication timeline, so I don't know how they relate to GRRMDeath.

I gave up after 3 episodes but based on your comments I will watch a few more, It was not horrible C+ was a fair assessment, would you say its more of a B or higher as the season progresses?
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 06:35:37 AM »
I DVRd the marathon.  I am enjoying it, maybe more than I enjoyed the books.
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 08:46:37 AM »

I gave up after 3 episodes but based on your comments I will watch a few more, It was not horrible C+ was a fair assessment, would you say its more of a B or higher as the season progresses?

B to B+, with some A moments.

I DVRd the marathon.  I am enjoying it, maybe more than I enjoyed the books.

I understand that there are books, but have no interest in them, which is odd for me.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 10:55:24 AM »
The early episodes were very uneven, but had enough bright spots to keep me going.
(click to show/hide)
I find the episodes are getting better as the show goes along.

It's very different from the books but this isn't all bad.  TV Penny and TV Quentin are much more likable than their book counterparts.  And contrary to other comments, I thinkt he acting is great.  Quentin, Alice and Julia in particular.  They seem to really just know who their characters are.

Online PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 11:04:27 AM »
The early episodes were very uneven, but had enough bright spots to keep me going.
(click to show/hide)

It's very different from the books but this isn't all bad.  TV Penny and TV Quentin are much more likable than their book counterparts.  And contrary to other comments, I thinkt he acting is great.  Quentin, Alice and Julia in particular.  They seem to really just know who their characters are.

Oh yeah - that scene freaked me right the fuck out.  Which is unusual for a TV show.

In the books there is a great deal of sexual violence.  And Julia disappears from the books
(click to show/hide)
, which I really disliked.
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 11:32:11 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Oh yeah - that scene freaked me right the fuck out.  Which is unusual for a TV show.

In the books there is a great deal of sexual violence.  And Julia disappears from the books
(click to show/hide)
, which I really disliked.

I really like the whole moth thing.  way scarier than whats in the books.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 10:52:43 PM »
Are the books worth reading / listening (if they're on Amazon)?

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 06:33:13 AM »
Are the books worth reading / listening (if they're on Amazon)?

I feel like the main theme of the books is learning to appreciate the world around you.  Quention spends a lot of time in the first 2 books lamenting that his life is only like 97% awesome instead of 100%.  Depending on your own circumstances this message will really resonate with you or piss you the fuck off.

The books also go way way deeper into the mechanics of magic.  Again, a certain type of person will just love this, while others will find it boring as hell.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 11:00:27 AM »
I would probably love the mechanics, but have that enjoyment overwhelmed by the angst.

Online HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 11:21:45 AM »
After a number of false starts trying to watch from episode one, I could not reconcile the Quentin from the books, that I made up in my head while reading, and the actor in the show. And the same for Penny.

This weekend I binge watched from episode 3 and am now current for the show tonight. It definitely has improved as it's progressed, I like the structure of the Neitherlands that the creators made, it's beyond the vision I had in my head.

My only critique is i kind of wished that they had taken a liberty with the name Penny and called him something else. every time I hear his name I hear:

"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Online PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 11:47:03 AM »
The show is fer sure gathering up steam.  Each episode seems to top the last.  I do not like that they killed off
(click to show/hide)
tho.  But I think they come back?  Anyway, they really handled the
(click to show/hide)
story line very well.  So nasty.  And I like that they kept Julia in the first season.  Although I hope they avoid the woman in the fridge shit that she got in the books.  It looks like they might, but we shall see.

I am getting a little excited for the SciFi channel as a whole.  Between this and the Expanse they are doing some of the best genre work on TV.  Especially when you factor in the budgetary restrictions.

Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

Online HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 01:04:26 PM »
They certainly haven't pulled any punches as far as adult themes go. At least not for a basic cable network. They seem to skirt the Sex, Drinking, Smoking, language, gore they have got to be pushing the limits.

(click to show/hide)

And is it my imagination or are they so subtly cutting the 'uc' out of the work fuck, that it's as present and impactful but not 'actually' said?
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

personate-rain
personate-rain