Author Topic: question(s) about organ transplants  (Read 162 times)

Offline God Bomb

• Not Enough Spare Time
question(s) about organ transplants
« on: January 18, 2017, 04:57:51 AM »
Feel free to nitpick anything and everything I'm saying in the topic.

When someone receives an organ, they have to take drugs so that organ is not rejected.  Over time, many years for example, does the chance of rejection drop?  I would assume it does, because cell tissue in our bodies gets replaced over time.  So an organ that started out as 100% foreign DNA would over time become 'assimilated'.  I'm assuming some tissues are permanent and don't get replaced?  What about something like Skin?  there are face transplants now and skin is definitely a type of tissue that is regenerated constantly.  So can these types of transplants become 'permanent', so that no drugs are needed to stop rejection?

Also, semi-serious question about testicles.  If a testicle was transplanted, I'm assuming it would produce the donor's sperm, because they are made within the testicle and based on DNA inside the testicle? 
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Well Established
Re: question(s) about organ transplants
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 07:51:09 AM »
Sorry to constantly thread lurk but :munch: again, mmmm chips of knowledge

I feel like I should know this but I actually literally and practically don't
'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson

Online daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 09:24:19 AM »
Do they even do testicle transplants? If they do, I presume your guess would be right.

As for the transplanted organ becoming "permanent" due to cell regeneration, I presume that the regenerated cells would still carry the donor's DNA and so would still be rejected without the drugs. I'm guessing the drugs would need to be taken forever. Unless maybe the donor is an identical twin?

However, I'm just talking through my hat here. I have no knowledge of this. Maybe we have a transplant surgeon on the board who could answer the question.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 09:43:12 AM »
Do they even do testicle transplants? If they do, I presume your guess would be right.

As for the transplanted organ becoming "permanent" due to cell regeneration, I presume that the regenerated cells would still carry the donor's DNA and so would still be rejected without the drugs. I'm guessing the drugs would need to be taken forever. Unless maybe the donor is an identical twin?

However, I'm just talking through my hat here. I have no knowledge of this. Maybe we have a transplant surgeon on the board who could answer the question.

[talk object="hat" direction="through"]
Hm. I would guess you would have to do some stem cell voodoo to make the transplant become self or be recognized as self. If the organ's stem cells are replaced with the recipient's stem cells it might become 'you' over time. Depends on how fast the cells are replaced from new, instead if just dividing. If you killed off the recipient's immune system and restarted it from scratch that might do it?
[/talk]
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Well Established
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 10:08:53 AM »
As far as I am aware, immunosuppressant therapy is needed for the lifetime of the transplant
'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 10:28:47 AM »
The tissues of the organ are replaced by the process of mitosis and division of the organ's cells, they don't migrate into he organ from elsewhere in the body.  The resulting cells have the same DNA as the parent cell, therefore.

My understanding is that the risk of rejection actually increases with time as the body develops antibodies to the foreign cells.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 10:34:14 AM »
I wonder if CRISPR tech could delete the donor's MHC from the organ in the dish, and perhaps copy and paste the recipient's?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 10:34:57 AM »

Hm. I would guess you would have to do some stem cell voodoo to make the transplant become self or be recognized as self. If the organ's stem cells are replaced with the recipient's stem cells it might become 'you' over time. Depends on how fast the cells are replaced from new, instead if just dividing. If you killed off the recipient's immune system and restarted it from scratch that might do it?
[/talk]

I don't think that replacing the organ's stem cells with the recipient's stem cells is actually a thing. Nor "restarting" the immune system from scratch.

"Hat" was a euphemism for another noun, which I uncharacteristically chose to avoid for that post. Which also would not have been physiologically possible, but is merely a figure of speech.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 10:36:57 AM »
I wonder if CRISPR tech could delete the donor's MHC from the organ in the dish, and perhaps copy and paste the recipient's?

You would have to delete the MHC (whatever that is) from every single cell in the donated organ. Probably not possible.

Before we can do that, we'll probably be able to grow a whole new organ from the recipient's own stem cells.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 11:02:55 AM »

[/talk]

I don't think that replacing the organ's stem cells with the recipient's stem cells is actually a thing. Nor "restarting" the immune system from scratch.

"Hat" was a euphemism for another noun, which I uncharacteristically chose to avoid for that post. Which also would not have been physiologically possible, but is merely a figure of speech.

Yeah, I'm not saying stem cell replacement in organs is a thing. Just speculating. Immune system transplants / resets are a thing, though dangerous and experimental (at least they were in 2010).

I enjoyed the way you used hat, and decided to geekily build on it.

You would have to delete the MHC (whatever that is) from every single cell in the donated organ. Probably not possible.

Before we can do that, we'll probably be able to grow a whole new organ from the recipient's own stem cells.

MHC = Major Histocompatibility Complex

Short version: The major histocompatibility complex (MHC) is an key way the immune system recognizes foreign substances in the body. The MHC determines compatibility of donors for organ transplant.

The major histocompatibility complex (MHC) is a set of cell surface proteins essential for the acquired immune system to recognize foreign molecules in vertebrates, which in turn determines histocompatibility. The main function of MHC molecules is to bind to antigens derived from pathogens and display them on the cell surface for recognition by the appropriate T-cells.[1] MHC molecules mediate interactions of leukocytes, also called white blood cells (WBCs), which are immune cells, with other leukocytes or with body cells. The MHC determines compatibility of donors for organ transplant, as well as one's susceptibility to an autoimmune disease via crossreacting immunization. The human MHC is also called the HLA (human leukocyte antigen) complex (often just the HLA). The mouse MHC is called the H-2 complex or H-2.

As for replacing this in every cell... one delivery mechanism is through viruses. I don't know if it is possible to use CRISPR/CAS tools to do that sort of thing in an organ. A Google Scholar search on "CRISPR MHC transplant" has papers like this that indicate that sort of technology and technique are being developed, however.

To be clear, I don't really understand what that paper says

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 12:16:01 PM »
Do they even do testicle transplants?

Without googling, I'm trying to imagine why.

Orchidectomy patients frequently get prosthetic testicles, I think just for cosmetic reasons. 

If the goal is reproduction, seems like the other methods are more reliable and just as satisfying.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline God Bomb

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 10:30:56 PM »
The tissues of the organ are replaced by the process of mitosis and division of the organ's cells, they don't migrate into he organ from elsewhere in the body.  The resulting cells have the same DNA as the parent cell, therefore.

My understanding is that the risk of rejection actually increases with time as the body develops antibodies to the foreign cells.

That pretty much answers it, thanks.  And sorry for deliberately misquoting you in another topic.

Offline God Bomb

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 10:31:46 PM »

Orchidectomy patients frequently get prosthetic testicles, I think just for cosmetic reasons. 

If the goal is reproduction, seems like the other methods are more reliable and just as satisfying.

to produce testosterone?

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 10:50:28 PM »

to produce testosterone?

Given the many detrimental effects of organ transplants and the aggressive immunosuppression that is required to maintain those organs, I suspect taking testosterone as a drug would likely have a much lower risk profile.

personate-rain
personate-rain