Author Topic: Penn Jillette Weight Loss  (Read 5181 times)

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Penn Jillette Weight Loss
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2016, 01:55:48 PM »

No one is talking about a
guru for any one narrowly-defined diet.
or
quasi-religious belief or commercial interest in one or another of the many fad diets
other than you. 

The consensus has certainly changed in nutrition, take a look at the USDA 2016 guidelines.

Except percentage of calories is not the best way to gage the effect of protein. It's complicated. It's the amount of protein beyond what your body can use that can cause issues. If you're active and eating relatively low calories you can eat a higher percentage of calories from protein. But if you're not active and are eating a high calorie diet, a relatively low percentage of protein could be unhealthy.
Your mileage may vary.

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2016, 02:50:13 PM »
https://www.drfuhrman.com/library/articles.aspx

I'm unable to find any peer reviewed clinical studies for this diet.

Am I missing something?
Your mileage may vary.

Online jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2016, 02:59:03 PM »

I'm probably around 5/20/75. But my protein may be higher, at the expense of fat.

At the expense of your kidneys, anyway.

Seriously?

Excess protein?  Yeah, seriously.

Online jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2016, 03:03:57 PM »

I'm probably around 5/20/75. But my protein may be higher, at the expense of fat.

Seriously?

I thought one would have to exceptionally increase one's protein intake from 20% to cause any 'expense' to one's kidneys.

I don't think anybody really knows, so you are left with basic science to determine the risk vs. benefit of consuming excess protein.  Since I can't think of any benefit to consuming more protein than your body needs, so the risk/benefit of infinitely high.  On the other hand, you have to weigh the risks and benefits of consuming the other macronutrients as well, and that is more contentious.

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2016, 03:09:28 PM »

Seriously?

I understand it's never been shown that a high protein intake can actually harm healthy kidneys (and even people with problems seem to tolerate it better than previously assumed). If you have anything that contradicts that, I'd be interested.

Online jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2016, 03:10:31 PM »

or
quasi-religious belief or commercial interest in one or another of the many fad diets
other than you. 

The consensus has certainly changed in nutrition, take a look at the USDA 2016 guidelines.

Except percentage of calories is not the best way to gage the effect of protein. It's complicated. It's the amount of protein beyond what your body can use that can cause issues. If you're active and eating relatively low calories you can eat a higher percentage of calories from protein. But if you're not active and are eating a high calorie diet, a relatively low percentage of protein could be unhealthy.

As far as I am aware, absolute protein requirement, increases fairly linearly with energy expenditure, or equivalently, with total energy requirements.  Therefore, your protein requirement as a percentage of total energy requirement remains fairly constant as you vary your amount of physical activity. 

Online jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2016, 03:12:15 PM »

Seriously?

I understand it's never been shown that a high protein intake can actually harm healthy kidneys (and even people with problems seem to tolerate it better than previously assumed). If you have anything that contradicts that, I'd be interested.

I don't have anything specific.  As I said in another post a few minutes ago, in a sense, the risk/benefit ratio for consuming more protein than necessary is infinitely high—so why do it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 03:14:59 PM by jt512 »

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
Penn Jillette Weight Loss
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2016, 03:13:21 PM »

or
other than you. 

As far as I am aware, absolute protein requirement, increases fairly linearly with energy expenditure, or equivalently, with total energy requirements.  Therefore, your protein requirement as a percentage of total energy requirement remains fairly constant as you vary your amount of physical activity.

In a calorie restricted weight loss diet where calories and proportions are relatively fixed?
Your mileage may vary.

Online jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2016, 03:17:46 PM »

or
other than you. 

In a calorie restricted weight loss diet where calories and proportions are relatively fixed?

No.  I was assuming energy balance.  In energy deficit, protein requirement increase as a percentage of calories, and for an athlete, probably even in absolute amounts over requirement under energy balance.

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2016, 07:42:49 AM »

Seriously?

I don't have anything specific.  As I said in another post a few minutes ago, in a sense, the risk/benefit ratio for consuming more protein than necessary is infinitely high—so why do it.

I don't understand, how is it infinitely high? We seem to be well-equipped to deal with it.

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2016, 09:19:17 AM »

I don't understand, how is it infinitely high? We seem to be well-equipped to deal with it.

I'm pretty sure he just meant the mathematical conceit of having zero as the denominator in a risk/reward ratio.

With zero reward assumed, all you have is risk.

I think. Though it's an odd way to put it.
"And what it all boils down to is that no one's really got it figured out just yet" - Alanis Morisette
• • •
"I doubt that!" - James Randi

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2016, 11:09:34 AM »
Back on topic, I'll record Dr. Oz today and watch this evening.

From what I've read Dr. Furhman isn't his only diet guru. There another guy, Ray Cronise, who uses cold baths somehow.

The Penn Jillette Diet – 105 Pounds in 86 Days
http://calorielab.com/news/2015/06/12/penn-jillette-diet/

Ray Cronise - disrupting dogma with innovative ideas | about.me
https://about.me/raycronise
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 11:15:26 AM by estockly »
Your mileage may vary.

Online jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2016, 11:45:34 AM »

Seriously?

risk/benefit = risk/0 = ∞ for any risk > 0.

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2016, 12:14:35 PM »
Back on topic, I'll record Dr. Oz today and watch this evening.

From what I've read Dr. Furhman isn't his only diet guru. There another guy, Ray Cronise, who uses cold baths somehow.

The Penn Jillette Diet – 105 Pounds in 86 Days
http://calorielab.com/news/2015/06/12/penn-jillette-diet/

Ray Cronise - disrupting dogma with innovative ideas | about.me
https://about.me/raycronise

Yes, he does talk about Cronise a lot.  Had him on to discuss extended fasting once.  Ray and Penn both seem to be sponsored by the wifi connected weight scale.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2016, 12:32:42 PM »

risk/benefit = risk/0 = ∞ for any risk > 0.

This discussion is predicated on the assumption that there is no benefit to eating protein in excess of requirements, or above a certain percentage of calories.

I dispute both.
Your mileage may vary.