Author Topic: Penn Jillette Weight Loss  (Read 5179 times)

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
Re: Penn Jillette Weight Loss
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2016, 02:15:49 PM »
I can picture Penn backstage with the producers "Now if he says something nutbally I'm going to call him on it, I'll be really nice about it but you know me..." LOL
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2016, 04:01:20 PM »
What did Oz say that should have been challenged?
What he did or did not say in the segment is irrelevant to me (unless it was "Listen folks, Ive been misleading you all for years and misrepresenting science") he constantly says things that need to be challenged. So much so that he got grilled before congress and still hasnt appeared to change his ways from what I can see.
Just because he may not have spouted any woo to Penns face, does not give him a pass in my book. Your view may be different, not saying you should hold my values.

Online estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2016, 04:38:44 PM »
What did Oz say that should have been challenged?
What he did or did not say in the segment is irrelevant to me (unless it was "Listen folks, Ive been misleading you all for years and misrepresenting science") he constantly says things that need to be challenged. So much so that he got grilled before congress and still hasnt appeared to change his ways from what I can see.
Just because he may not have spouted any woo to Penns face, does not give him a pass in my book. Your view may be different, not saying you should hold my values.

Oz is not that bad. He is a qualified surgeon and a medical professional.

The problems with Oz are that sometimes he welcomes purveyors of woo on his show and allows them to go unchallenged, and other times he himself promotes woo.

But that doesn't happen as often as you seem to assume, and most of the time the information he presents is consistent with mainstream medicine.

That doesn't excuse any of his woo, but it's not reasonable to expect someone like Penn (or Novella) to pass up a chance to reach such a large audience.

Nor is it reasonable to expect guests on his show to always point a finger and call him a liar.

Nor do we really know all of what Penn said or did on the show, since we only see an edited version.
Your mileage may vary.

Online Harry Black

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2016, 05:16:19 PM »
First of all, Steve went on the show specifically to call Oz out and debate him. If he went on to promote a book or whatever then I would think less of him too.
And yes, it is reasonable to expect someone to pass up a chance to appear on Ozs show specifically because we know his angle and we know how these things can often be edited.
Just because Oz doesnt spew woo every moment of every episode, does not get him a pass from me. He spouts enough and endorses enough woo that he is a net negative in my opinion.
His qualifications mean jack shit to me when he uses them to lend legitimacy to quacks, and now the famous presenter of a show called "Bullshit" has gone on and had an amicable segment with him, thus lending further legitimacy.

Its fine to just say he did it for the money. Thats fine. Its just less ethical than I prefer.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2016, 08:03:09 PM »
Oz has certainly changed his mind about eating fat.  He has been a fan for a couple of years.
“You get old and you realize there are no answers, just stories.”

Garrison Keillor

Online estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2016, 08:14:23 PM »
First of all, Steve went on the show specifically to call Oz out and debate him. If he went on to promote a book or whatever then I would think less of him too.
And yes, it is reasonable to expect someone to pass up a chance to appear on Ozs show specifically because we know his angle and we know how these things can often be edited.
Just because Oz doesnt spew woo every moment of every episode, does not get him a pass from me. He spouts enough and endorses enough woo that he is a net negative in my opinion.
His qualifications mean jack shit to me when he uses them to lend legitimacy to quacks, and now the famous presenter of a show called "Bullshit" has gone on and had an amicable segment with him, thus lending further legitimacy.

Its fine to just say he did it for the money. Thats fine. Its just less ethical than I prefer.

I'm not saying he did it for the money. I'm saying he did it to reach the Oz audience. Yes, he wants to reach the Oz audience so he can sell them his book, but chances are Penn believes in what he's doing and believes his book will help people with the same kind of weight problem that he had (most Americans, these days) and he probably wrote the book and promotes it with the best of intentions.

And what mainstream television show or network does not dabble in woo from time to time?

Should anyone selling a science based product (or a product like Penn's that's not really based on science) avoid trying to reach Dr. Oz's audience?

Your mileage may vary.

Online Harry Black

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2016, 08:49:59 PM »
If reaching his audience means legitimising him? And we take the money out of the equation? Yeah, they should pass up the opportunity.
Other shows dabble in woo, they dont make their living from it.

Online estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2016, 04:45:38 PM »
Actually, he is fully legitimatized in the eyes of his audience.

The effect is more that appearing on Oz legitimizes Penn with that audience.
Your mileage may vary.

Online Harry Black

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2016, 05:16:41 PM »
I see where you are coming from.
I disagree.

Online estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2016, 05:27:59 PM »
I also see your point.
Your mileage may vary.

Offline fonebone

• don't want a pickle
  • Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2016, 09:37:06 AM »

Does anyone see my point?

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2017, 11:46:09 AM »
I have a buddy who's been on the Furhman plan for 5 months now.

He's down to 170lbs from his 243lb starting point.

I've been inspired to give it a try.

I bought the Fuhrman book "Eat to Live" on Amazon (Penn's diet) and the weight loss aspect seems pretty solid.  There are a couple chapters about cancer fighting "superfood" and "detox" nonsense, but I think overall the diet is clearly healthier than what I'm consuming on the regular now. 

There is a six week plan in the book that I'm going to give a shot.  If the results are good, I'll likely be inspired to continue.  In any case, the fact that the plan allows limitless fresh fruit consumption will probably save me.  I'll eat a 5 lb bag of oranges on my own in a day if left to it......debating picking up Penn's book too....
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 12:54:39 PM by stonesean »
Well.  There it is.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2017, 12:00:31 PM »
Good Luck.
“You get old and you realize there are no answers, just stories.”

Garrison Keillor

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2017, 12:18:04 PM »
A key part of my 20+ pound loss last year: Track your weighted average weight, which is a more accurate view than a single day's reading.

7*today
6*yesterday
1*six days ago
divide by 28

As long as that guy is going down, even by a little bit, you are good. If not, you step it up for a couple days until it is.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Online Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2017, 12:19:27 PM »
I have a buddy who's been on the Furhman plan for 5 months now.

He's down to 170lbs from his 243lb starting point.

I've been inspired to give it a try.

I bought the Fuhrman book "End of Dieting" on Amazon and the weight loss aspect seems pretty solid.  There are a couple chapters about cancer fighting "superfood" and "detox" nonsense, but I think overall the diet is clearly healthier than what I'm consuming on the regular now. 

There is a six week plan in the book that I'm going to give a shot.  If the results are good, I'll likely be inspired to continue.  In any case, the fact that the plan allows limitless fresh fruit consumption will probably save me.  I'll eat a 5 lb bag of oranges on my own in a day if left to it......debating picking up Penn's book too....

Can you give a tweet-length summary?  It obviously isn't a LCHF diet.

personate-rain
personate-rain