Author Topic: Penn Jillette Weight Loss  (Read 6094 times)

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
Re: Penn Jillette Weight Loss
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2017, 12:25:50 PM »
A key part of my 20+ pound loss last year: Track your weighted average weight, which is a more accurate view than a single day's reading.

7*today
6*yesterday
1*six days ago
divide by 28

As long as that guy is going down, even by a little bit, you are good. If not, you step it up for a couple days until it is.

Yeah, it always bugged me people who would say not to weigh yourself so often - even once a day they'd say is too often - more data is good... you just have to know how to process it.

I want to buy one of those wifi scales that tracks it all for you and shows it on your phone.

Amend and resubmit.

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2017, 12:30:01 PM »
I have a buddy who's been on the Furhman plan for 5 months now.

He's down to 170lbs from his 243lb starting point.

I've been inspired to give it a try.

I bought the Fuhrman book "End of Dieting" on Amazon and the weight loss aspect seems pretty solid.  There are a couple chapters about cancer fighting "superfood" and "detox" nonsense, but I think overall the diet is clearly healthier than what I'm consuming on the regular now. 

There is a six week plan in the book that I'm going to give a shot.  If the results are good, I'll likely be inspired to continue.  In any case, the fact that the plan allows limitless fresh fruit consumption will probably save me.  I'll eat a 5 lb bag of oranges on my own in a day if left to it......debating picking up Penn's book too....
I read that as "he's down 170lbs from his original weight of 243" and thought your friend might need treatment for severe anorexia... :o Otherwise, good for him!
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2017, 12:53:29 PM »

I bought the Fuhrman book "Eat to Live" on Amazon and the weight loss aspect seems pretty solid.  There are a couple chapters about cancer fighting "superfood" and "detox" nonsense, but I think overall the diet is clearly healthier than what I'm consuming on the regular now. 

There is a six week plan in the book that I'm going to give a shot.  If the results are good, I'll likely be inspired to continue.  In any case, the fact that the plan allows limitless fresh fruit consumption will probably save me.  I'll eat a 5 lb bag of oranges on my own in a day if left to it......debating picking up Penn's book too....

Can you give a tweet-length summary?  It obviously isn't a LCHF diet.

Unlimited vegetables excluding white potatoes. (goal 1lb per day)
Unlimited fresh fruit. (goal 4 servings per day)
Unlimited legumes. (goal 1 cup per day)
Limited Whole grains. (limit to 1 cup per day)
Limited Nuts/Seeds. (limit to 1 oz per day if trying to lose weight)
Extremely limited animal products (eggs, "white" chicken/pork, white fish limit to 12oz a week)
No dairy, no sugar, no booze, limited salt, limited oils.

Tofu/Seitan is listed as an unlimited food as well.

I guess that's more than a tweet.

I read that as "he's down 170lbs from his original weight of 243" and thought your friend might need treatment for severe anorexia... :o Otherwise, good for him!

Yeah, I guess I worded that badly.   It's pretty amazing.  I knew the guy in high school and he now weighs less than he did in high school. He also had a very limited palate, and this plan forced him to eat lots of foods he "didn't like".  Many of which he now "likes".    Even if there is a yoyo effect, reversing 20+ years of weight gain in 5 months is a pretty good thing.  His doctor pretty much wanted to give him a kiss and a hug after he showed up weighing 50lbs less than his last visit.  His blood pressure meds might be going away soon too.  I've got a much more modest goal of 30-40 lbs to lose.  We'll see if it works. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 01:00:37 PM by stonesean »
Well.  There it is.

Online lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2017, 03:48:43 PM »

I bought the Fuhrman book "End of Dieting" on Amazon and the weight loss aspect seems pretty solid.  There are a couple chapters about cancer fighting "superfood" and "detox" nonsense, but I think overall the diet is clearly healthier than what I'm consuming on the regular now. 

Can you give a tweet-length summary?  It obviously isn't a LCHF diet.

Google Fuhrman.  You have to buy the book to get much off the site, but his pyramid is all you need, really.

Then listen to some Jason Fong lectures.  He is very good crushing the calories in/calories out myth.  Sort of why one needs to treat the ultimate cause not the proximal.  He is keen on fasting and eating well; not very restrictive, actually.  Oh, he is a nephrologist and runs a clinic for weight loss and diabetes treatment.

Here are two lectures at the Vail Colorado Low Carb conference.

http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes/15529/1203-dr-jason-fung-2016-low-carb-vail/
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2017, 04:29:17 PM »
Extremely limited animal products (eggs, "white" chicken/pork, white fish limit to 12oz a week)

While I think there's some good basis there, the problem with listing any healthy food as "unlimited" is that I really like most of the healthy fruits and veggies, and if I don't set limits I can gain weight just by eating too much fruit and veggies.

The problem I had with Weight Watchers (a pretty good program on which I lost 25 pounds and reached my goal weight) is that most fruits and veggies are not counted, and I can eat enough calories to gain weight while still remaining on plan, by eating too much of those.

As for "No dairy, sugar, or booze," I am skeptical of any diet that completely excludes any food. Sugar is not good for you, but a little won't hurt. I personally don't like alcohol, because it makes me feel a little dizzy and it muddles my brain, but a small amount won't hurt you. And I think that dairy has a real, beneficial place in a balanced diet. I don't eat meat or poultry, but that's an ethical choice, not a health-related choice.

Tofu is another food I can gain weight on. I love it. Sadly, most people don't know how to prepare it properly and are convinced they don't like it, because they've had it in an Asian restaurant where it's grossly undercooked and under-flavored. Mooshy and tasteless. Mine is firm (because I cook it thoroughly) and delicious, because it's seasoned.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2017, 07:00:43 PM »
Here is the difference between tracking weighted average weight (the dark heavy line) and actual weight (the gold line). The light green line was my initial target. My body very insistently leveled off a couple pounds above that, but I have held it pretty well. The Excel diet: If Excel says you have flattened, slow down the eating and/or exercise more.

I am recalling, not with good feeling, the couple days of large single-day actual weight drops this summer when I was struggling with an intestinal bug of some kind. It came at an opportune time for leveling the weight loss.

Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2017, 07:51:59 PM »
Wow.
Im pretty disappointed to hear he will be going on Oz. I thought better of him.

I'm pretty disappointed he didn't say 'IT'S MAGIC!'
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2017, 07:54:52 PM »
Oz has a huge audience, and they'll be very interested in what Teller has to say, and Teller is interested in reaching them.

I know this is months old, but I can't help chiming in that I would be very surprised if Teller had anything at all to say on this subject.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2017, 08:48:42 PM »

While I think there's some good basis there, the problem with listing any healthy food as "unlimited" is that I really like most of the healthy fruits and veggies, and if I don't set limits I can gain weight just by eating too much fruit and veggies.

The problem I had with Weight Watchers (a pretty good program on which I lost 25 pounds and reached my goal weight) is that most fruits and veggies are not counted, and I can eat enough calories to gain weight while still remaining on plan, by eating too much of those.

As for "No dairy, sugar, or booze," I am skeptical of any diet that completely excludes any food. Sugar is not good for you, but a little won't hurt. I personally don't like alcohol, because it makes me feel a little dizzy and it muddles my brain, but a small amount won't hurt you. And I think that dairy has a real, beneficial place in a balanced diet. I don't eat meat or poultry, but that's an ethical choice, not a health-related choice.

Tofu is another food I can gain weight on. I love it. Sadly, most people don't know how to prepare it properly and are convinced they don't like it, because they've had it in an Asian restaurant where it's grossly undercooked and under-flavored. Mooshy and tasteless. Mine is firm (because I cook it thoroughly) and delicious, because it's seasoned.

I find the main reason I love tofu dishes like Tofu Tod, it's because it's deep fried tofu that I dip in sweet chili sauce. Deep frying and sweet chili sauce not really encouraged in the diet........
Well.  There it is.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2017, 10:58:17 AM »
I find the main reason I love tofu dishes like Tofu Tod, it's because it's deep fried tofu that I dip in sweet chili sauce. Deep frying and sweet chili sauce not really encouraged in the diet........

I cook it in a skillet with onion and just a little bit of oil and a fair amount of water and a lot of seasonings, including soy sauce. As the water boils, the tofu cooks thoroughly. Once the water is gone, it is sautéed in the oil until golden brown. It is firm because it's been thoroughly cooked, and the seasonings give it the flavor. Often I'll add a previously-baked potato (chopped up) near the end of the cooking. Sometimes mushrooms at that point also.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2017, 10:47:36 AM »
Day three of my little Dr. Furhman experiment.

I weighed 219 lbs at 6am on Monday and I weigh 216 at 6am on Wednesday.

I assume it's all water weight, since according to the diary I've been keeping in the "My Fitness Buddy" app, I have been eating fewer than 1000mg of sodium a day.

After 48 hours of only vegetables, fruit, beans and nuts, no added sugar, no added salt I find I'm not hungry.  Eating 1 lb of day of raw veg a day minimum makes NOT feeling full impossible.

I've had no sweet cravings. Fresh fruit is my preferred sweet anyway.  The co-worker who's cube is next to mine bought Five Guys a burger and fries for lunch yesterday and the smell was intoxicating.  I'm definitely craving salt and fat, but not really sugar.  However, the full feeling helps me ignore the cravings.  The long weekend may be a challenge.  (In the US, Martin Luther King Jr. Day is Monday, and it's a Federal Holiday).
Well.  There it is.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2017, 11:46:43 AM »
From his book, and his podcast, what I can gather is he ate potatoes, plain potatoes with no spices or butter etc for two weeks, and that fundamentally changed his pallet and food-related desires to a point where he doesn't really crave calorie dense food anymore.

Sounds a bit like ad-hoc reasoning, or a one-solution-cures-all type thing. Kinda wooey, but if it works for him it works.

He describes often on his podcast how he loses tastes for certain foods, like one day he no longer wanted to ever have milkshakes again.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2017, 12:00:22 PM »
From his book, and his podcast, what I can gather is he ate potatoes, plain potatoes with no spices or butter etc for two weeks, and that fundamentally changed his pallet and food-related desires to a point where he doesn't really crave calorie dense food anymore.

Sounds a bit like ad-hoc reasoning, or a one-solution-cures-all type thing. Kinda wooey, but if it works for him it works.

He describes often on his podcast how he loses tastes for certain foods, like one day he no longer wanted to ever have milkshakes again.

His diet is a combination of the book "Eat to Live" by Dr. Joel Furhman, MD and the advice of Ray Cronise, a former NASA employee who advocates the potato "hack" you speak of, long term fasting and all sorts of other nonsense. 

I'm following the 6 week diet that Furhman lays out in his book to see if I can lose 20 lbs.  I have a couple friends who have tried it, one who was a Penn podcast fan who has made a permanent switch and dropped about 70lbs in 6 months. 

He now weighs less at age 40 than he did when I first met him at age 19.   He has also been taken off his blood pressure medication by his primary care physician, who is stunned.  He reports some of those same losses of taste.  For example, he used to drink 3-4 nights a week and now reports that in the last 6 months he's had one vodka and cranberry juice cocktail a couple different times.  Both times they made him feel such a sugar rush and so out of sorts that he no longer enjoys them.

Cronise is a nutcase.
Well.  There it is.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2017, 11:12:01 AM »
Update:

Went from 219 last Monday morning to 213 on Saturday.

It's Wednesday and I'm still hovering around 212.8 - 213.4.

That first week certainly resulted in dramatic weight loss, but the last 4-5 days seems to have slowed to almost nothing.  I did "cheat" on Saturday, in that I had some vegetarian panang curry when my wife requested we order Thai take out for dinner.  It's got more salt and oil than the diet allows, but is otherwise fine.

Interesting.  I'm going to wait a few more days.   If nothing much else happens in the weight loss department, I'm going to consciously decouple myself from this diet and go back to my weekly exercise routine.

I think I'll stick with the breakfasts and the giant, low calorie but extremely filling salads for lunch.  Perhaps return to nice omnivore food for dinner with seasonings and oil.  In any case, simply by paying attention for a week or so I've learned where it's easy and tasty to cut 500-750 calories and a bunch of sugar and sodium out of my diet with minimal effort at breakfast and lunch time.  (at least on work days) That can't be a bad thing.

Well.  There it is.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2017, 06:26:33 PM »
From his book, and his podcast, what I can gather is he ate potatoes, plain potatoes with no spices or butter etc for two weeks...

It's been several decades since I put butter on potatoes. I love a baked potato in its skin with black pepper. Sometimes I eat potatoes with beans or spicy tofu or curried veggies. But I still love them with just black pepper.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck