Author Topic: anyone seen hamilton the musical?  (Read 757 times)

Online superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
anyone seen hamilton the musical?
« on: April 05, 2016, 05:08:57 PM »
The hype I am hearing for this is mind blowing.  People are practically selling kidneys for tickets.
i listened to the soundtrack,  it was fine.   Has anyone here seen it and can tell me if the hype is justified?

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Re: anyone seen hamilton the musical?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 02:15:11 PM »
I wish.  My sister has, and she loved it.  But she is more easily swayed by the buzz surrounding a work....  Not that that's a bad thing.  I often envy that ability.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 12:59:29 AM »
Hodgman and Savage are all over it. I'll be playing the soundtrack on a loop tomorrow.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 01:30:06 PM »
Ok almost finishing listening to the album, it's really long and my drive to work has not been enough time.

But here are some observations.

1)  It's comes close to delivering on the hype
2)  The sum is greater than the parts.  The music, the singing, the lyrics, none of these is really significantly better or worse than a typical Broadway show.
3)  Where this comes together is sheer ridiculousness of a hip hop biography of Hamilton.  It works, and it's fun.
4)  It makes a great statement about the inclusiveness of Black culture as a part of greater American culture.

personate-rain
personate-rain