Author Topic: Cause we were barely seventeen And we were barely dressed  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Oh Henry

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: Cause we were barely seventeen And we were barely dressed
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 04:49:28 PM »
If I remember correctly the baseball announcer in the song had no idea what the song was going to be about when he agreed to do it.

That's Phil Rizzuto.  Various reports of him either not knowing, not knowing and then being pissed, and knowing but pretending to not know in order to avoid criticism.

I saw Meatloaf live in a local college gym in 1991.  Good times.
"My father considered a walk among the mountains as the equivalent of churchgoing." ~ Aldous Huxley

Offline tmead

• Brand New
Cause we were barely seventeen And we were barely dressed
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 06:15:41 PM »
tmead, I am so glad to see that you've been a registered member since Feb. 2015 and it took a thread about Meatloaf's teenage fantasies, that I may have started when I was a little tipsy,  to finally get you to post

I don't spend a lot of time on this forum because I'm usually a couple months behind on listening to the podcast.  The only reason this caught my eye in my tapatalk feed was because I had just heard the song on satellite radio that day.

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 06:21:12 PM »
I don't spend a lot of time on this forum because I'm usually a couple months behind on listening to the podcast. 

Pfft, don't let that stop you!  You can participate in many fascinating discussions (like this one) without being up on the podcast.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 08:06:34 PM »
There's hope for all of us, I lurked for over 5 years before I ever posted, and now look at me, a moderator thinks my subject is fascinating!

Back to the subject at hand. Now that we have the motivations of the girl out of the way, what in the world would motivate a barely 17 year old boy to be so stalwart in his conviction to "never break my promise or forget my vow"? When I was 17ish I couldn't even be trusted to take out the garbage if I promised to do it. Why should I believe that this guy is praying for the end of time, so he can end his time that he promised for one night of glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife?

"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2016, 08:23:43 PM »
:munch:

We need another Forumvision.  One that we can stop and abandon even closer to being done.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2016, 08:33:11 PM »
I lived with a person who went through a phase of listening to this album on repeat, constantly, for several months. If it wasn't several months, it sure felt like several months. As a result, I came away with a deep and abiding hatred and despisition (that's a word now) of every moment, every lyric, every sound, of the album. I hate it with a burning passion that surpasses rationality. I hate it with the fire of a thousand suns. I hate it more than Sauron hated Gandalf. I hate it to the deepest core of my being.

And now you've given me an earworm. Thanks for that.

Offline Zaros

• been pissed off for years
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • I'm the Sheriff.
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2016, 08:35:57 PM »
tmead, I am so glad to see that you've been a registered member since Feb. 2015 and it took a thread about Meatloaf's teenage fantasies, that I may have started when I was a little tipsy,  to finally get you to post

I don't spend a lot of time on this forum because I'm usually a couple months behind on listening to the podcast.  The only reason this caught my eye in my tapatalk feed was because I had just heard the song on satellite radio that day.

Hell i've never even listened to the podcast. I dont know who any of these people are  :bob: :evan: :jay: :rebecca: :steve: :perry: :cara:
Danger is my middle name.

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2016, 10:18:59 PM »
There's hope for all of us, I lurked for over 5 years before I ever posted, and now look at me, a moderator thinks my subject is fascinating!

Back to the subject at hand. Now that we have the motivations of the girl out of the way, what in the world would motivate a barely 17 year old boy to be so stalwart in his conviction to "never break my promise or forget my vow"? When I was 17ish I couldn't even be trusted to take out the garbage if I promised to do it. Why should I believe that this guy is praying for the end of time, so he can end his time that he promised for one night of glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife?

I haven't listened to the rest of the album, but it sounded like it was part of a larger story. Like a rock musical concept album. Is there any hint elsewhere of some supernatural force that might actually hold his feet to the fire for the vow he made? He believes in God, and the End of Times, apparently... he's been to Paradise, maybe he fears... banishment?
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2016, 10:39:32 PM »

I haven't listened to the rest of the album, but it sounded like it was part of a larger story. Like a rock musical concept album. Is there any hint elsewhere of some supernatural force that might actually hold his feet to the fire for the vow he made? He believes in God, and the End of Times, apparently... he's been to Paradise, maybe he fears... banishment?

Side 2 starts with "two out of three aint bad" which describes the breakup, "Paradise" is them reminiscing about how the relationship started, the last song  "For Crying Out Loud" is about her leaving and how he was nothing without her.

The album is worth listening too start to finish

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2016, 12:55:02 AM »
what in the world would motivate a barely 17 year old boy to be so stalwart in his conviction to "never break my promise or forget my vow"? When I was 17ish I couldn't even be trusted to take out the garbage if I promised to do it. Why should I believe that this guy is praying for the end of time, so he can end his time that he promised for one night of glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife?

We've all been 17. At that age we'd say anything for a root  ;)   >:D
Very occasionally we'd actually mean it.  ;D

I was a huge fan of that album when it came out. I still have the vinyl edition I bought in 1977.

I was devastated when he was brought out to Australia to play at the 2011 AFL Grand Final to sing his hits and he was absolutely terrible.
He was a laughing stock for months after that performance.

personate-rain
personate-rain