Author Topic: CarlSagan dismissed. What's the harm?  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
CarlSagan dismissed. What's the harm?
« on: April 28, 2016, 12:25:44 PM »
I was having fun in CarlSagan's thread. Why did it have to be killed?

Yeah, I know "...not soooo open that your brain falls out" and "productive environment" and all...
I just wish the forum mods were more open to a bit of silliness, and that we as a forum were more welcoming. I think we can handle the few nutters that come our way...

ETA:  http://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,46599.html
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 11:16:08 AM by Henning »
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
Re: CarlSagan dismissed. What's the harm?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 12:27:29 PM »
Is it a giant burden to monitor the thread because it's so active and could go nuclear at any moment?? Could you not move it to Personal and then not worry about it so much? 
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 12:29:15 PM »
Tolerating a few means tolerating a shitload though, once thwy figure out the line to walk and it becomes more murky as to when people are actually sick of them.
I really prefer not to have their shit popping up as a new thing for me to read, I come here to get away from that stuff.
Better to just have well thought out rules and smart people enforcing them. As we do.

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Well Established
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 12:35:34 PM »
When someone is clearly having some kind of episode as a result of a mental condition, there is absolutely nothing to be gained by prolonging the copy-pasta, the inevitable rants and the snide jokes from spectators. We did not see that as 'a bit of silliness'. We've judged that this forum is not equipped to give this person the help they so obviously need, and that in this case, we can't stretch our consciences to letting people point and giggle.

Space Elves, Holocaust deniers and Mormons are still welcome - up to a point.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 01:04:49 PM »
Well, then, I wish the snide jokes and rants were not so inevitable here.
Did you send him off with a note to the effect of, "we hope you get help"?

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 01:06:52 PM »
When someone is clearly having some kind of episode as a result of a mental condition, there is absolutely nothing to be gained by prolonging the copy-pasta, the inevitable rants and the snide jokes from spectators. We did not see that as 'a bit of silliness'. We've judged that this forum is not equipped to give this person the help they so obviously need, and that in this case, we can't stretch our consciences to letting people point and giggle.

Space Elves!  Man....I haven't heard that one in a long time. 

Online Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 01:09:33 PM »

I think there were a lot of jokes (I made one) early on, when we thought it might itself be a joke.  Then after the third post it sunk in that he was being for real.  People engaging though wouldn't really be very helpful, well maybe it would, maybe snide jokes might have been helpful or hurtful.  The point is that with somebody who has such a delusion you're playing with fire and we could have done some real harm, even without meaning to.  The mods made the right call here, even though I don't think that we would have reacted with malice or continued with mockery once knowing the nature of the situation.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 01:40:13 PM »
My problem with that guy was that it looked like his main purpose was to post a bunch of links and unrelated stuff just to get some Google search ratings. Admittedly, I might have missed some things, seeing how I tl;dr'ed the whole thing; I notice that people are taking it seriously.

Otherwise I found it just too incoherent to provide entertainement, and because of the length I pretty much skipped over the whole thing. If others enjoy it, I figure just moving it to personal would have been fine.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Well Established
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 02:41:22 PM »
Did you send him off with a note to the effect of, "we hope you get help"?

The rants would probably have been his (although I don't completely discount the other possibility). We did advise him to seek professional help, but the lack of any illusion that it'll accomplish anything is part of the reason why we decided to bar him from the forum. Besides, there was very little chance of him actually engaging with anyone beyond vomiting copy pasta.

My problem with that guy was that it looked like his main purpose was to post a bunch of links and unrelated stuff just to get some Google search ratings.

That could very well be the case. Spammers like that end up getting banned as well, so it would all have worked out the same in the end.

The point is that with somebody who has such a delusion you're playing with fire and we could have done some real harm, even without meaning to.

I strongly doubt that some comments on a forum is going to leave any lasting impression on a guy (I presume) who holds lengthy discussions with himself in YouTube comment sections, but yeah, we'd rather stay far from that kind of thing. That's why our 'I'm going to kill myself!' policy is what it is. Here's the number for the National Suicide Hotline, please take off that noose - and there's the door.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Online SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 02:45:48 PM »

That is a good policy.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 05:00:20 AM »
I tried looking for him, and the thread you're referring to and didn't find anything. Has it all been removed? All his posts? So now I can't even go back and look at what it was you're talking about? I can't see what it was and form an opinion of my own?

I can't say I like that much. Can someone  give me a brief summary of what the content was? What were his issues? Why were they considered so heinous that all record of him had to be expunged?
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Offline InsanePat

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • coward among the cowards

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 09:43:59 AM »
I tried looking for him, and the thread you're referring to and didn't find anything. Has it all been removed? All his posts? So now I can't even go back and look at what it was you're talking about? I can't see what it was and form an opinion of my own?

I can't say I like that much. Can someone  give me a brief summary of what the content was? What were his issues? Why were they considered so heinous that all record of him had to be expunged?

Based on the post just below yours, would you like to retract the accusatory tone in this post?
#notarealskeptic

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 10:19:27 AM »
Seriously.  That is not something we would do.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 11:00:33 AM »
Yipes. Yeah, sorry Bel, AQ....Just made a bit of an ass of myself.

I couldn't find him on the member list, which in retrospect is what you'd expect when someone's been dismissed, and jumped to a rather extreme conclusion. Sorry.

Tgabks for the link.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

personate-rain