Author Topic: Cryptography Game  (Read 6159 times)

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Re: Cryptography Game
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 04:05:08 PM »
:munch:
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 05:19:01 PM »
My first attempt failed.  Unfortunately I'm working until 10 p.m. tonight, so I won't have a chance to look at it much tonight.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
  • Occasional Forum Necromancer
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 05:35:17 PM »
Hint:

(click to show/hide)
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Online Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 06:00:16 PM »
Hint:

(click to show/hide)

You owe me the last half of my lunch hour today.   :laugh:

Online Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 06:22:57 PM »
Did you mean to drop a digit halfway through on this one?  Your spacing rules are also inconsistent, but that combined with your other error may have helped me find the answer.
(click to show/hide)

I'll make a new puzzle tonight, mainly because I just came up with an AWESOME clue.

Online Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2016, 07:45:21 PM »
YRHSH ZYYAM UYOO JBG IF GOGRD UEGXL YQH OHE OBIB
DXFPE SCDGK CHZ OHHEYQ MBT WODRDH OHE

Hint - Neither Tommy Tutone no the ruler of Rome could solve this cipher, but perhaps if they combined efforts......
Hint 2 - See previous puzzles.  Spaces do NOT count as characters for this one.

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2016, 08:08:19 AM »
Did you mean to drop a digit halfway through on this one?  Your spacing rules are also inconsistent, but that combined with your other error may have helped me find the answer.
(click to show/hide)

I'll make a new puzzle tonight, mainly because I just came up with an AWESOME clue.

Sorry about that, great recovery. You always read about the code breakers, but never about the code writers. It's harder than it looks to make sure everything lines up.
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Offline starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Well Established
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2016, 09:36:31 AM »
:munch:
'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson

Online Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2016, 11:04:05 AM »
Yeah I do everything in Excel, which is great for cycling through different codes, but awful at processing strings.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Online Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2016, 10:28:08 PM »
Let me know if I need to provide more detailed hints.  I have no clue of the limit of people's decryption skills, or whether anyone here is going to suffer through a pencil and paper method when they should be using a computer.

And if anyone is completely lost, I'd highly recommend checking out The Code Book by Simon Singh.  Trying the challenges in the back of that book was a pick step up for me from the occasional cryptoquote in the newspaper.

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2016, 06:57:13 AM »
Let me know if I need to provide more detailed hints.  I have no clue of the limit of people's decryption skills, or whether anyone here is going to suffer through a pencil and paper method when they should be using a computer.

And if anyone is completely lost, I'd highly recommend checking out The Code Book by Simon Singh.  Trying the challenges in the back of that book was a pick step up for me from the occasional cryptoquote in the newspaper.

(click to show/hide)

Online Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2016, 08:48:19 AM »
Try a caesar shift I top of that

Online HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2016, 10:30:24 AM »

(click to show/hide)

I'm with you on this.

(click to show/hide)
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2016, 10:45:31 AM »
Try a caesar shift I top of that

You Rick-Rolled me....WHY!!!!!??????

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2016, 10:48:34 AM »
OK. I used a primary shift of 8675309 then a Caesarian shift of 19 to solve. Did the 19 have significance?

personate-rain