Author Topic: Cryptography Game  (Read 6364 times)

Online Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: Cryptography Game
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2016, 11:04:21 AM »
Nah I just picked a random number.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
  • Occasional Forum Necromancer
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2016, 11:56:00 AM »
acquysxxysjacquysxxxcauacquyuhupchjtcasjgtzupxmuacztzuqcfsujufuhujbastgcuacjwjb cjwjbcjwjbcj

Here's Some hints

1. Everyone's favorite Golden Girl
2. She has an affinity for 80's music
3. So little space to work equations!
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Online Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2016, 01:09:47 PM »
Oh snap, no more easy word checks without the spaces.  Ill give it a few attempts tonight before asking for more help.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Online Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2016, 06:18:27 PM »
I'm casting my vote for collaborative solving.  Here's my thoughts so far (not going to use spoiler tags since I haven't found a solution yet)

1 - So far we have seen simple substitution, caesar shift (which is the same thing), vigenere with hints at the password, and a combined vigenere/caesar.  I'm assuming we're still using some combination of those encoding methods, just with the new twist of not being able to use word length for clues.  If we've jumped to something more complicated drw will have to let us know.
2 - Everyone's favorite Golden Girl is probably Betty White?  So BETTYWHITE or WHITE could be the codeword, to be added or subtracted to the original message.  Or her character name?
3 - I'm assuming the solution is a quote from an 80s song.
4 - Could be substitution on top of vigenere?  Or could just be substitution, but then I don't know why we have multiple clues.
5 - Frequency analysis with vigenere only helps if you have a lot of characters.  This one is pretty short, so unless there's unique letter combinations popping up I'm not sure how to approach it.
6 - I doubt the characters at the end of the string are a coincidence.  Perhaps a mistake, but that can still help us.....
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 06:23:18 PM by Sawyer »

Online Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2016, 06:31:30 PM »
Still no solution, but perhaps I'm getting closer

(click to show/hide)

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2016, 08:05:36 PM »
Ok, well this won't be at all helpful, but here goes.

1. Everyone's favorite Golden Girl =  Bea Arthur
2. She has an affinity for 80's music = Martha Quinn
3. So little space to work equations! = Office 'Space' -> red stapler guy.

I haven't really looked at the cypher at all, so I'm just having fun.
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2016, 08:13:51 PM »
I'm casting my vote for collaborative solving.  Here's my thoughts so far (not going to use spoiler tags since I haven't found a solution yet)

1 - So far we have seen simple substitution, caesar shift (which is the same thing), vigenere with hints at the password, and a combined vigenere/caesar.  I'm assuming we're still using some combination of those encoding methods, just with the new twist of not being able to use word length for clues.  If we've jumped to something more complicated drw will have to let us know.
2 - Everyone's favorite Golden Girl is probably Betty White?  So BETTYWHITE or WHITE could be the codeword, to be added or subtracted to the original message.  Or her character name?
3 - I'm assuming the solution is a quote from an 80s song.
4 - Could be substitution on top of vigenere?  Or could just be substitution, but then I don't know why we have multiple clues.
5 - Frequency analysis with vigenere only helps if you have a lot of characters.  This one is pretty short, so unless there's unique letter combinations popping up I'm not sure how to approach it.
6 - I doubt the characters at the end of the string are a coincidence.  Perhaps a mistake, but that can still help us.....

1. We have jumped to something a little more complicated see my number 3 hint. This cipher is technically weaker than a substitution, but since we haven't done it yet, I thought we'd try.
2. You are very warm here, but the key is numbers.
3. HOT!
4. See my hint number 2, it not only give a clue about the lyric
5. Freq analysis will be weak against this cipher
6. Hot again.
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Online Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2016, 12:06:10 AM »
I probably won't get around to this until Sunday afternoon.  If someone else wants to take a crack at it go ahead.

Online Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2016, 08:01:56 PM »
Well Drw I guess I'm going to have to throw in the towel.  I spent about an hour today messing around with this one and really can't devote any more time to it.

If you want to reveal the type of encryption your using I can probably get it, but that takes away most of the fun.

I'm also happy to create some new ciphers if people still want a challenge, since it takes less time than solving one.  I know of at least one other "easy" scheme to use, and some super difficult codes.

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2016, 03:01:54 PM »
Well Drw I guess I'm going to have to throw in the towel.  I spent about an hour today messing around with this one and really can't devote any more time to it.

If you want to reveal the type of encryption your using I can probably get it, but that takes away most of the fun.

I'm also happy to create some new ciphers if people still want a challenge, since it takes less time than solving one.  I know of at least one other "easy" scheme to use, and some super difficult codes.

It's an Affine Cipher (equation) with spaces removed (no space) where a= part of bday year of our favorite Golden Girl and b= part of the bday year of our favorite Golden Girl.

Online Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2016, 06:01:03 PM »
Time to find an actual cryptography program.  Whatever jackass programmed the VLOOKUP function in Excel needs to be sent to a Russian gulag for a few years. 

Online Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2016, 06:51:27 PM »
Someone else please try this before I accuse drw of screwing up.  I've tried Affine cipher with a = 19 b = 22, and a =22 b = 19, both as an enciphering and deciphering code and I'm still getting garbage.  Based on how I think the original message should be enciphered, the first characters are "CYWOGS...." ?     C = 3, 3*19+22 = 79, mod 26 = 1, = A in the original encryption

I'm tempted to solve this the old fashioned way, because I also noticed a triple X in the original message.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 06:56:15 PM by Sawyer »

Online Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2016, 07:25:17 PM »
(click to show/hide)

I'll come up with a new one soon.

Online Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2016, 08:28:00 PM »
HCTKEV   EUEEYR   HPVJBK   TKUNEV   HUYHEC   OJFANU   KTSYOH   DBHHKY   KEYKGB   RGLDHU   OUCBOD   SYYUYS   HJAVOS   OJDCYF   UHGOPD   YFUHEX   YUJCLV   VYSYUH   ERWFNU   BGVLRG   SUMMTY   EWSTMM
HCYEYR   NRVJBE   CYRJOU   UZCYOG   FBOJYU   NTCYGB   VVRNYK   THCYTV   OKMATF   THCYFT   HHHJGO   FCKVJA   URNJBY   RNY

Hints:
1.  For this type of cipher, no one should cheat.  Everyone should follow the rules, so we're all operating on a level playing field.  I don't want to call in a referee or anything.  Be nice.  After all, it's hip to be square!
2.  You'll need to find a codeword.  It is the name of an old science fiction novel that I thought of while looking at the previous cipher solution.
3.  I screwed up one of the "normal" rules for encoding this, but it shouldn't matter much when deciphering.  I'm sure there are some errors too, but they won't propagate through the puzzle.
4. The character spacing should be ignored.
5. This is a pain in the ass to decode manually.  I'd consider it "solved" if someone gets the first few words or the source of the quote.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2016, 09:15:14 PM »
So its probably the four square cipher. 

EDIT:  Shit, after rereading the clues, it's probably the Playfair Cipher, which is close to the four-square cipher, but a little different.

So the next trick is figuring out what the key is.

Edit: The forever War is not the key for either of the ciphers above.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 09:20:09 PM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

personate-rain