Author Topic: CIVILIZATION VI  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
CIVILIZATION VI
« on: May 11, 2016, 06:43:59 PM »
CIVILIZATION VI pre-sale dropped on steam today

http://store.steampowered.com/app/289070/

I found a few details here

http://www.pcgamer.com/civilization-6-everything-you-need-to-know/

With Civilization VI, Firaxis wants a game that doesn't settle into an established meta. "We want players to have to think on their feet more," says Beach. "We want a situation where you have to react to what the game is presenting for you. What the map is giving you, your starting position, what it means to have certain leaders next to you." It's all designed to provide a more varied, improvisational campaign.

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
Re: CIVILIZATION VI
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 06:46:10 PM »
Uuugh I don't wanna pay so much for the right to a possible future DLC.
Season Passes in gaming need to die.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Online Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 07:36:40 PM »
I'm sorry, I refuse to support any institutions that promote inferior Roman numerals.
You want data?  My pie charts are made with a secret family recipe, my relationship charts stay committed even through tough times, and my line charts will get get high as fuck!

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 09:42:35 PM »
I haven't played any of the Civilisation games since 3. They got too complex - tried to stuff too much stuff into the gameplay.

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 09:21:22 AM »
If you think Civ is too complicated, don't go near Paradox titles then... :o

I don't do pre-orders and Civ5 was kind of garbage for about a year after it came out, so while this is interesting it will be way, way, way on the backburner for me. They will, I am sure, do the thing they've done for the past few versions where they strip out a lot of the stuff they added in the previous version in the hopes that people will pay extra for it in the form of DLC, so that is more added incentive for me to wait until at least the first expansion to bother with it.

That being said, I like DLC a whole hell of a lot better than season passes. Paradox does the DLC thing and while some of the expansion content is a lot more robust than others (the last expansion for EU4, Mare Nostrum, had a lot of game-balancing elements but the big new things they added - a slightly revamped spy system, better naval orders, and the concept of states and territories - weren't nearly as major as some other expansions they've done), it remains a good way IMO of getting new content out for a game that is now 3 years old while still being able to pay the devs to do it. If you don't want to buy the DLC, you don't have to buy it, or you can at least wait until the DLC goes on sale. The problem with season passes is that you're paying in advance for content that may or may not ever exist. I totally get why a developer would prefer this method - you get paid even while you're working on content instead of releasing it - but from a consumer standpoint it encourages the bare minimum to be put out during a particular "season".
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 10:38:43 PM »
Nice preview.  The concepts of districts is intriguing.

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 04:19:08 PM »
Yeah, early LPs of it look really intriguing. I especially like the concept of districts, in that it looks like you will have to make some hard decisions in the mid to later game involving whether or not a plot of land should be turned into a district or improved. The AI now has primary and secondary goals for all of the NPCs, which I hope will get it that much closer to the gold standard that is Alpha Centauri in that regard. What's also nice to see for the time being at least is that I for one didn't see the studio actually pulling out features that were in Civ 5; I mean, some of the mechanics have changed rather drastically (the whole culture points thing has been up and replaced with separate tech and civics trees, and government types are once more a thing you can do) but it's not like they did like they did from 4 to 5 and yanked out religion or whatever (which, in fairness, 5 had *so* many new things going on with it that I can accept that removing religion made some sense) (and in fairness to the fairness I held off on buying the game for quite a while in part because the new stuff was buggy and also because 4 was more feature-rich and interesting for quite a while).

I might just have to pick this up on launch day...
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 11:35:06 AM »
I don't mind the DLC and season pass idea so long as the content is worth it for me and the original game is worth the price.  Generally I wait for the game to be at least 50% of on steam which of course means I probably wont be playing Civ VI or Fallout 4 for ever.   Still, districts look good, have they fixed the issue where the game goes from so easy its boring to impossible by changing from one difficulty setting to the next.  Seriously, they have like 10 settings, how about a little gradation. 

Online random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 11:51:00 AM »
This game is coming out this week.

I expect full reports and renewed youtubing.

Just one… more… turn…
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 12:09:50 PM »
The Aztecs were too much. I pre-ordered last night. I NEVER LEARN ANYTHING FROM THESE SITUATIONS >:(

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 04:12:21 PM »
I'm lucky, I won't have a spare $60 until after Xmas :D

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 09:08:51 PM »
The Aztecs were too much. I pre-ordered last night. I NEVER LEARN ANYTHING FROM THESE SITUATIONS >:(

did you learn if its worth $60 yet?
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 08:02:04 AM »
I'd say yes but I really enjoy Civ so I am biased.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 01:52:38 PM »
It's a good game, probably best vanilla Civ out of the box since III.

That being said, it has some balancing issues to sort out yet.  You could enjoy it now, or you could wait for mods and/or fixes to address those.

personate-rain