Author Topic: In search of podcasts  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
In search of podcasts
« on: May 12, 2016, 12:03:42 PM »
Partially to fill the gap left by Caustic Soda and partially to fill the mind-numbing boredom of going to gym, a thing that I started doing recently, I need to find some new podcasts to listen to.

The topics I am looking for are: Zoology, Palaeontology, Geology, Archaeology, Anthropology, Ethnography/Folkloristics and related fields. I would prefer podcasts directly from people working in these fields (as opposed to panels of "generalists" like the SGU) or at least very knowledgeable about them, discussing preferably cutting-edge research or theory.

I am already following Tetrapodcats, In Our Time, Thinking Allowed, Palaeocast and a bunch of stuff from the Archaeology Podcast Network, but most of the latter is only there because I haven't found anything better. I tried Myths and Legends, but it pure storytelling and nothing more.

Any suggestions?

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
Re: In search of podcasts
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 11:49:16 PM »
I know it's not one of topics you mentioned, but I just can't help but recommending "Lexicon Valley".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 01:13:42 AM »
"Science... Sort Of" I really like and fits your criteria. Its very rambling and easy-going conversation, but at the same time feels like theyre really experts. It does have some non-science segments but I tend to like their style of discussion anyway even if its just rambling about beer. Have a look at their website for some of the episode descriptions. The content tends to change depending on what fields the guests have expertise in.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 02:13:16 AM »
What happened to Caustic Soda? I haven't been listening to podcasts at the moment.

What about No Such Thing as a Fish or the Infinite Monkey Cage or the Naked Scientists?

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 02:41:12 AM »
What happened to Caustic Soda? I haven't been listening to podcasts at the moment.

They wrapped up.

Offline dylanharris

• Off to a Start
  • a broad brit abroad
    • arts & ego
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 04:54:26 AM »
The Nature Magazine and Science Magazine podcasts often cover those subjects (well, not folklore). They've both a high production quality, and Nature's got a playful sense of humour too.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 09:33:08 AM »
Thanks, so far, I picked up all of these and will be listening to them with time.

I also gave a try to the Mythology Podcast, but then quickly unsubscribed when I realised that it was just storytelling, by a guy who couldn't even pronounce foreign names correctly.

I am sticking with Lore for the time being. It has lots of woo, but it is entertaining in a spooky campfire story-esque manner and includes context and background details as well.

Keep the suggestions coming :)

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 08:48:51 AM »
it's not a podcast per se (They just 'podcast' course lectures), but I enjoyed the UCSD intro to cognitive enthnography course I heard years ago.
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 12:21:09 PM »
Hardcore History is fun, although the host only puts out an episode like every 3 months or so. They do tend to be several hours long, so there is that. The History of Rome Podcast wrapped up several years ago but is still out there and still has lots and lots of episodes if you're into that sort of thing. I also recommend picking up an Audible subscription if you don't already have one and if you do browsing the Great Courses series. There are several that deal with archaeology and history which you would probably enjoy (the series on Egyptology, hosted by Bob Breyer, is especially cool).
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 01:17:04 PM »
Hardcore History is fun, although the host only puts out an episode like every 3 months or so. They do tend to be several hours long, so there is that. The History of Rome Podcast wrapped up several years ago but is still out there and still has lots and lots of episodes if you're into that sort of thing. I also recommend picking up an Audible subscription if you don't already have one and if you do browsing the Great Courses series. There are several that deal with archaeology and history which you would probably enjoy (the series on Egyptology, hosted by Bob Breyer, is especially cool).

I am already subscribed on Hardcore History. It is great fun, though sometimes it veers off course (like how the most recent episode on the Persians became a giant Greekaboo (Hellenaboo?) fest.) and I am still not completely used to Carlin's obnoxious intonation.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 08:47:32 PM »
I've just downloaded some episodes of Surprisingly Awesome. It seems like the kind of thing I'd be into.

Offline ShadowSot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 07:48:59 AM »
Monster Talk and Archeology Fantasies. It's on the APN but you might have missed it.
“I'm smart enough to know that I'm dumb.”
 - Richard Feynman

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 01:24:18 PM »
I think someone here offered up The History of English Podcast.  http://historyofenglishpodcast.com/

This has become my favorite show. I've binge-watched over sixty episodes, almost to the exclusion of everything else. Exceptionally well researched and presented with great production values, it's as much the history of England as it is the history of the language. Britain's history is like fifteen hundred years of The Game of Thrones.
Modify message

T
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 02:14:51 PM »
I think someone here offered up The History of English Podcast.  http://historyofenglishpodcast.com/

This has become my favorite show. I've binge-watched over sixty episodes, almost to the exclusion of everything else. Exceptionally well researched and presented with great production values, it's as much the history of England as it is the history of the language. Britain's history is like fifteen hundred years of The Game of Thrones.
Modify message

T
Thanks for this recommendation.  I've only listened to the bits on Indo-European and they're great.  I'm likely to listen to it all again.  Very dense material but fascinating.

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2016, 02:20:14 PM »
Thanks, so far, I picked up all of these and will be listening to them with time.

I also gave a try to the Mythology Podcast, but then quickly unsubscribed when I realised that it was just storytelling, by a guy who couldn't even pronounce foreign names correctly.

I am sticking with Lore for the time being. It has lots of woo, but it is entertaining in a spooky campfire story-esque manner and includes context and background details as well.

Keep the suggestions coming :)
Have you tried Snap Judgement, the NPR show/podcast?
HIISSSSSSSS