Author Topic: Looking for players, 5E Saturday/Sunday Morning CST/Afternoon GMT  (Read 810 times)

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
I'm working on a campaign in D'n'D's 5th ed, I'm happy with the focus shifting back toward RP and away from WoW on a board. SO wants to give it a whirl, and I have a workmate who may be playing as well depending on numbers. I have a post up on Reddit [r/LFG] but haven't had much luck. I'd also be more than happy to play if there's someone dying to DM.

The campaign I'm working on I call Brigands and Bastards, which focuses on generally evil, criminal, or otherwise Not The Good Guys. Blackguards, Black Knights, Assassins, Thieves, Clerics of Gruumsh and Paladins of Wee-Jas. To quote a favorite movie, "I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists."

So far I have one confirmed, one interested, and if we're hurting to make  players that bad I'll just GM a series of NPCs or something. I'd be happy to use hangouts or skype, and I'm investigating Roll20's whole dealio.

HIISSSSSSSS

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Looking for players, 5E Saturday/Sunday Morning CST/Afternoon GMT
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 09:00:20 PM »
Roll20 is a nice platform. It does take a bit of getting used to, but if you're interested I'd suggest having a look at the Roll20 YouTube channel for some long-format games using the software.

I'd be interested, but I think the times you're proposing are my peak work times, so I wouldn't be able to. :(

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 02:22:13 AM »
Roll20 is a nice platform. It does take a bit of getting used to, but if you're interested I'd suggest having a look at the Roll20 YouTube channel for some long-format games using the software.

I'd be interested, but I think the times you're proposing are my peak work times, so I wouldn't be able to. :(
Well that is most unfortunate, but I do believe it would be about your weekend nights time wise. Damn spherical earth conspiracies and their fake timezones!
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 03:45:48 AM »
I have not been thrilled with Roll20, it works but its clunky, setting up a map is much more work than it needs to be.

We migrated to Tabletop sim and google hangouts for webcam/materials support.  There are tons of preset tables in TS right now, lots free material to choose from.  (now with VR LOL)
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 05:34:45 AM »
I'll check out Tabletop Sim, might just roll dice and use hangouts for a bit.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 07:40:05 AM »

Well that is most unfortunate, but I do believe it would be about your weekend nights time wise. Damn spherical earth conspiracies and their fake timezones!
Yes, Friday and Saturday nights are peak business time for Uber.

I should mention that some of Roll20's fancier features (dynamic lighting, scripting) only come with a paid account. You can use it for free without these features though.

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 03:53:07 PM »
First off, to clarify I'm looking to play Saturday morning CST with Sunday as an alternate morning or t'uther whey round.

Poking around roll20 it looks like the free version will suffice as a video, audio, chat, and game board. I prefer to do the dice rolls and a lot of the stat tracking and whatnot on paper and the scene-building verbally, because I'm old school like that. Also because a lot of the integrated dice rolling and messaging looks like a lot of noisey typing when what I want to do is talk.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 05:35:00 PM »
One thing that is nice about the paid version of R20 is that your players can use the tablet/phone app, this is great to keep your character sheet on.

Hangouts sort of blows the communication on R20 away both chat and webcam but you can integrate the two through the R20 interface. You can also show content easier with hangouts. You can pull up any screen or window from you computer to display to the group.

TS has decent audio and chat communication as well as PMs but no video so its better just to open hangouts and run side by side.

Character sheets are better integrated into R20 than TS however there are several workarounds that make TS better. You can string several note cards together (others have set this up for you), or you can use an online character sheet on myth weavers or similar service then keep them open in TS with a virtual web tablet.

As far as the play table itself R20 is clunky and difficult to maneuver around. This goes double for creating maps and throwing out props. In R20 it took me an hour to lay down a simple tavern tile set the way I wanted that took me less than 5 min in tabletop. Obviously TS is in 3d so dice and cards look and play better.  TS now has scripting and user made content for dice and other play that has been coming out left and right.

There are a few mega setups for TS 5e that people have created containing thousands of maps, figures, tables, props and templates right at your fingertips behind your game screen on the table.  Roll 20 has a lot of content for free but the good stuff is all payed content, there is probably more of it since it has been around longer. 

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

personate-rain