Author Topic: Pokemon Go  (Read 7190 times)

Online SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
Re: Pokemon Go
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2016, 07:48:15 AM »
I have a Rattata, Pidgey, and a Bulbasaur. This could be fun.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2016, 08:55:01 AM »
I am a big gamer, but I just don't get PG.

The gameplay appeal is very similar to widespread appeal of the loot system in games like Diablo. Plus PoGo has a significantly greater social water-cooler aspect (of 4 non-managers who were at work tonight, 3 out of 4 are currently playing it and excited to talk about it)
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2016, 09:55:39 AM »
I can see the appeal of it, but I just know it hasn't got enough game for me. I like something that is a challenge, otherwise I get bored.
I'm not judging people who love it. Have fun. Go catch them all  ;)

This will be huge for a month or 2, then disappear just as fast.

I made a conscious decision years ago to NEVER to play a MMORPG because I know I probably can't be trusted to maintain a productive real world existence with that sort of thing in my life....Pokémon Go is probably the same sort of thing for other folks....

I hear you. I purposely never played WoW or similar because I know I would get addicted.
I play games on my XBone, but can limit myself to a few hours maximum when the AAA titles come out.

Though occasionally I find myself still playing at 4:00AM, having lost several hours.

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2016, 10:11:46 AM »
I can see the appeal of it, but I just know it hasn't got enough game for me.

Ah, fair enough. I read "dont get" as "dont get the appeal".

I agree in its current state. I was in the beta test and only got about 3 weeks out of it before I got bored. When it release and all my friends starting to play it I took a few days to get back into it.

It is, though, in pretty much an unfinished state with major features still coming (trading as priority is confirmed, and personally I hope more strategic battling than just button mashing). I dont know if Niantic decided to release it like that or if the rumours are true that there was strong pressure from Nintendo to get it out the door, but either way its telling that the current worldwide "full" release is only version 0.29
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2016, 10:59:30 AM »
This shit is getting out of hand:

<hipster>Also, I used to play Ingress since it was still in closed Beta</hipster>
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2016, 11:03:07 AM »
This shit is getting out of hand:

<hipster>Also, I used to play Ingress since it was still in closed Beta</hipster>

Washington DC seems to have lots of Pokémon to catch.  Today on my walk from my office building (within sight of the Pentagon) to the local coffee joint, (approx. 2 blocks) I saw two separate incidences of people wandering into the middle of the street then looking at their phones while standing in the street.  I was confused and then realized...."ah...Pokémon Go...."   Thankfully both streets were traffic free at the time....
Well.  There it is.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2016, 02:45:01 PM »
I think one should be careful of confirmation bias.

I did a brief informal survey of people who were distracted by looking at their phones today on my short walk to work.  I only used people who bumped into someone, stepped into traffic that shouldn't have or obliviously moved on as someone else moved to get out of the way.  I also only counted the people who's phone I could see.

11 People spotted

6 checking email
2 some other unidentified app
3 playing Pokemon Go.

Essentially be careful blaming Pokemon Go for the idiot in the street in front of you.

#notarealskeptic

Offline DG

• The Prophet
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2016, 07:11:26 PM »

Ingress was better in closed beta. Actually, ingress was good until (a) they built levels beyond 8, (b) included a store, (c) had a portal explosion. It just got to be too much hard work to keep up with the teams.

I suspect that PokemonGo is struggling because of the issues that Ingress didn't have - there were only two teams, you were either breaking or building a portal, the battles were direct and interactive. In PoGo, there is a greater interaction with "gyms" (i.e the number of times it crashes when trying to "train" at a gym, or take down an enemy gym is infuriating) and the spawning of creatures - although it appears that the spawn is device specific - my colleague will not see the same pokemon as I do (i.e I might see diffrerent, or none at all, when compared to a friend standing next to me), GPS issues (the GPS tracking in PoGo compared to ingress is horrendous - and losing GPS stops game play, in a way that is not applicable to ingress), screen brightness (for ingress the screen is largely black). 

Interestingly, I have noticed seasonal drift with my Ingress - in summer my GPS places me in a different location to in winter, by about 25 metres. Could be confirmation bias (given random drift throughout the day, but it does seem to have a noticeable difference as to which "portal" I can reach from my desk. There's a period of about 4 months (in two monthly intervals) where I can not reach either portal.
"If you don't like the theory of evolution you should probably skip the practical".

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2016, 09:47:25 PM »
although it appears that the spawn is device specific - my colleague will not see the same pokemon as I do (i.e I might see diffrerent, or none at all, when compared to a friend standing next to me)

Spawns are not device specific, although they can be greatly affected by whether you and your friend are similar level and able to see/catch the same pokemon.

For two players of the same level you can see the same pokemon and even catch exactly the same pokemon (spawns in the same place, with the same stats, etc)
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2016, 09:52:44 PM »
Seems like the release schedule is set up to get a sense of the demand. They got that in droves.

It appears that there has already been a death? Jeez.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2016, 10:22:03 PM »

Do you have a source? It's not that it's all that implausible, but there's a satirical article about a deadly car pile up that's making the rounds. Googling doesn't lead to any articles about a death from Pokemon go that I can find.

Offline DG

• The Prophet
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2016, 11:30:50 PM »

Do you have a source? It's not that it's all that implausible, but there's a satirical article about a deadly car pile up that's making the rounds. Googling doesn't lead to any articles about a death from Pokemon go that I can find.
I'm a bad person for laughing at "cause of death: Pokemon" and an image of a growlithe gnawing on someone's intestines.
"If you don't like the theory of evolution you should probably skip the practical".

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2016, 11:34:43 PM »
To have acted like that indicates this person was dead long before PoGo appeared on the scene.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2016, 12:30:09 AM »
Ingress was better in closed beta. Actually, ingress was good until ..........(b) included a store

I can see a store being added to PG. Otherwise how do they monetise it  ??? Does it have ads?

Unless they do a "Draw Something" and get bought out just before the bubble bursts.

personate-rain