Author Topic: What YouTube channels are we watching?  (Read 862 times)

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
What YouTube channels are we watching?
« on: July 13, 2016, 11:14:39 PM »
Seems like a missing link in the "what are you a fan of" threads.

Here are some I enjoy:

Sexplanations: A sex-positive channel, she explores all kinds of sex-related subjects and discussions without fear or apprehension
https://www.youtube.com/user/sexplanations

Java Central: The coffee channel, he reviews coffee, and talks about how cultures around the world drink coffee
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4Vao5VMA2gI67OdwXkDoPg

Emergency Awesome: The most sane, thorough, and thoughtful "nerd media" review channel. He does reviews on Marvel, DC and other nerdy media.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/emergencyawesome

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: What YouTube channels are we watching?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 05:55:01 AM »
I love drinking and watching music videos so make a lot of play list that we stream on our TV. There are also some good top hits type ones

Billboard top 100 updated ever week
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLx0sYbCqOb8TBPRdmBHs5Iftvv9TPboYG

Top alt 40
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeDakahyfrO8iMvJGpYODUuc5CA0ZZEix

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 09:30:56 AM »
Awesome topic Gerbig, I need to expand my subscriptions, last weekend I realized how helpful that part of Youtube really is, I'd never really subscribed to things before.

I'm at work and can't post links but check out

The Brain Scoop
Smarter Everyday
and a third one that I can't think of right now, but will update later.
People used to laugh at me when I said I wanted to be a comedian. Well, no one is laughing now.

Online random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 03:14:42 PM »
Glad to see the Brainscoop and Sexplanations getting shout-outs. They are great. By the same producers than SciShow and CrashCourse, also great. I pretty much watch everything the vlogbrothers have a connection with. Including the channel where John plays FIFA as Wimbeldon AFC on the Xbox.

Outside of science stuff, I listen to a lot of video game channels, mostly Rooster Teeth and Achievement Hunter (which are from the same people).

But the thing I find the most cruelly underrated and which doesn't nearly get enough views for their awesomeness is loadingreadyrun and in particular their Qwerpline series. It's a kind of improvised fake radio station sketch comedy podcast, and it is simply genius.

Just watch the first episode and tell me you didn't laugh your ass off.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 03:43:13 PM »
Here is another one, Jonathan Young makes incredible rock covers of songs.

Online brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 12:05:52 AM »
I love Smarter Every Day. I don't watch it every day, mind you - more like a binge every month or so.

There are about a dozen science and maths and language channels that get similar treatment from me: binge every few weeks.

I like Android Central when I'm curious about new phones and what's out there to buy.

I like the TWiT reviews playlist for all sorts of product opinions and reviews, ranging from the fairly formal to very informal recommendations.

I'll post more details on the science and math stuff later, when I'm on my PC.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 12:17:55 PM »
Im watching Prepare to Try on IGNs channel. Basically, a newb tries to beat Dark Souls 1 and 3 while getting advice from his long suffering friends. I find it really funny. Heres a highlight reel of deaths

I also subscribe to Rocket Jump. Freddie Wong is a pretty amazing film maker and his action directing is something else, considering his limited resources.
Heres a clip of Videogame Highschool which is like a Nickelodeon series but with Call of Duty style action sequences and lots of game jokes. More impressive than funny, but has its moments. Heres the trailer for season 2

They also do some awesome shorts

Also watch a lot of College Humour (which is actually really good these days).
My only educational stuff is Crash Course, and I subscribe to Steve Shives for social justicey atheist stuff because he makes at least one enjoyable video a week.

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 02:32:39 PM »
I love the channels that deconstruct film-making.
Every Frame a Painting, Now You see It, and Nerdwriter1. To a lesser extent Cracked.

And science popularization.
SciShow of course; Smarter Every Day, yeah; and Veritasium, Vsauce, Kurtzgesagt. And to a lesser extent, Cracked again.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 03:22:07 PM »
Kurzgesagt
watchmojo
Escapist
AsapSCIENCE
CimemaSins
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 07:25:29 PM »
I am pretty sure that I saw this first here, but You Suck at Cooking is one of my most anticipated updates on Youtube at the moment.

People used to laugh at me when I said I wanted to be a comedian. Well, no one is laughing now.