Author Topic: SGU Forumvision 2017! Round 9 - Open Round - Music to Sooth the savage beast?  (Read 17738 times)

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
Forumvision is back! And better than ever. A new Host, A new format, A new slew of songs waiting for a brutal cutdown from the snark masters of the SGUF!

For those needing a review: (quote edited for adjustments in game play and clarity)

There are Ten players and one moderator. In each round, all of the players submit a song (via YouTube) to the moderator, who shuffles and anonymizes them and presents them back to the players for voting.

Players give each of the songs submitted by the other players one of the following scores: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10. They don't score their own submission. You can't give two songs the same score - you have to give one song 10 and one song 0, even if you hate (or love) everything in the round. Traditionally, the players also provide short comments on the entries, and sometimes guess at who submitted what. The one who scores the most total points is the "winner" of that round - though they don't actually win anything except bragging rights. The game runs for twelve rounds.

Scores are submitted to the moderator rather than posted in the thread. The moderator compiles and posts them all at the same time to avoid favoritism and OMGUS voting.

Games tend to run for a long time - Forumvision 2 lasted for over a year realtime due to peoples' schedules and delays in rating and submitting - so it's a bit of a commitment. However, it's a great way to discover new music, and it's always fun engaging in snarky banter about other players' clearly inferior musical tastes.

I'll mod the game, but i'm going to play as well, also in order to move things along, you'll be submitting all 12 songs upfront so there will be no waiting for submissions to begin a new round. as far as the voting time is concerned, there will be a dead line, and points will be deducted everyday over time.

I'm considering 6 "theme" rounds and 6 "open" rounds for music which I'll post if and when we get a full group of players.

So who's in? signups start today.

1. arthwollipot
2. AQB24712
3. Pants
4. Zaros
5. Andrew
6. Gerbig
7. Drunken Idaho
8. Simon Jester
9. The Latinist
10. Custard1506

List of Themes for the rounds:
Round 1 - Open - Submissions received.
Round 2 - songs that never fail to cheer you up. - Dudes, I need this more then ever, Make me smile!
Round 3 - Open
Round 4 - girl bands, I had too, I am a sucker for a Banarama, a Garfunkel and Oats, show me what else it out there.
Round 5 - Open
Round 6 - Favorite Advertising Jingle, Ha HA, good luck finding it on YouTube! do your best this will be fun.
Round 7 - Open
Round 8 - Best Cover - I can't argue that there are a lot of Great Cover's out there, who did it better than the original? PLS sub the original, if you can find it.
Round 9 - Open
Round 10 - Non-English song - *advantage English is my second language speakers*?
Round 11 - Open
Round 12 - Summer Strut - It's a hot summer day and you're walking through the park, and this is the song that comes on the player that makes you step up your step.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 10:16:01 PM by HighPockets »
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: SGU Forumvision 2016!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 10:06:56 PM »
I'm in!

I'll start building my list of songs immediately.

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 10:11:41 PM »
I knew you were just waiting for me to post this sign up!

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 10:13:49 PM »
Bow down, goobers, I am IN.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 12:02:06 AM »
I've produced a full list of 12 tracks. It should be noted that in the system I proposed, though all rounds are submitted in advance, anyone is free to change their selections at any time. The pre-submitting is purely so that if someone doesn't get to it for a while, the round can still be started.

I don't know how my preprepared list of 12 will go with any prepared themes, though I point out that it is currently winter here in Australia.

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 07:55:02 AM »
I don't know how my preprepared list of 12 will go with any prepared themes, though I point out that it is currently winter here in Australia.

Oh, man, I'm going to have to rethink these themes with a global audience in mind.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 11:26:57 AM »
PANTS! slips it in.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 11:48:27 AM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline Zaros

• been pissed off for years
  • Well Established
  • I'm the Sheriff.
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 03:39:09 PM »
I believe i have to play
Danger is my middle name.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 04:17:16 PM »
Very much in
Banned from both Hacker News and the xkcd forum.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 08:23:34 PM »
You're not slipping into my PANTS!

Unless you really want to.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 08:51:51 PM »
I believe I approve who slips into PANTS!
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Online Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 01:12:52 PM »
In! I have my 12 ready

Online Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 02:59:10 PM »
IN  >:D
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 12:59:42 PM »
We're more than half way there.

Online Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 03:27:09 PM »
I may be bending the definition of "song" for some of these.