Author Topic: SGU Forumvision 2017! Round 8 - Covers, songs the way they were meant to be.  (Read 14753 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: SGU Forumvision 2017! Round 4 - GIRL BANDS Deadline for Votes 01/14/17
« Reply #330 on: January 08, 2017, 09:36:48 PM »
On a happier note, I'm finding this round by far the most enjoyable so far; I've created a playlist of all the songs that are available on Apple Music (only Children of Frost is not available, which is strange because there's a metric shit-ton of Indica on there) and I've been listening to it off and on all day.  This is the first round I even thought about doing that for.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #331 on: January 08, 2017, 09:44:50 PM »
Heart.  They are talking about Heart.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #332 on: January 09, 2017, 10:22:13 AM »
Ah authenticity.  The way I see it, any submission not from a "girl band" automatically goes to the bottom.  And that does gets ranked on the merits of the song.  So it's not a matter which, "Which is the purest girliest band?" but rather, "Which is the best song by a girl band?"  Does Heart qualify as a girl band?  Also, this is Heart circa 1976, which is very different from mid-80s Heart, or even Heart today.  If it's the debut single by band fronted by two sisters, where one co-authored (how much?  who knows?) the song, and one's lead guitar and the other the vocalist for the song, where they at that moment a girl band?  Does it matter that they since wrote other songs and performed songs that they had others write for them?

I'll just say this, if "Will You still Love Me Tomorrow?" was co-written by Gerry Goffin and Carole King, does that take away from the authenticity of it being performed by The Shirelles (none of whom even play an instrument)?  I am the one who submitted the Heart song, and I stand by my submission for better or worse.

EDIT -

Typically I wouldn't defend my submission openly, but since people have been openly discussing whether it should even qualify, I felt I had to.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 10:27:58 AM by Andrew Clunn »
You want data?  My pie charts are made with a secret family recipe, my relationship charts stay committed even through tough times, and my line charts will get get high as fuck!

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #333 on: January 09, 2017, 11:57:24 AM »
Finished my first pass.  Now time for the second and to rate them.  Will have results in before the end of the day.
You want data?  My pie charts are made with a secret family recipe, my relationship charts stay committed even through tough times, and my line charts will get get high as fuck!

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #334 on: January 09, 2017, 01:38:44 PM »
Well, if it wasn't a zero before it is now.  Revealing that you submitted a song and openly advocating for it in the thread should be disqualifying in itself.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #335 on: January 09, 2017, 01:43:04 PM »
Well, if it wasn't a zero before it is now.  Revealing that you submitted a song and openly advocating for it in the thread should be disqualifying in itself.

Only if openly attacking a song's qualifications while voting is still going on is also grounds for the same.  The difference is that I had the integrity to be up front about what I was doing because I was basically forced into it by your unsportsman like conduct, while you're submission is still anonymous.

Online Drunken Idaho

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #336 on: January 09, 2017, 02:37:09 PM »
FWIW, I think Andrew's defense was pretty solid. I now feel that the song is indeed from a 'girl band.' I agree that the criticisms should have been leveled in the post-rating commentary, not in the thread during voting, where they can't help but sway other voters.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #337 on: January 09, 2017, 02:56:14 PM »
I am unswayed!
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #338 on: January 09, 2017, 03:07:14 PM »
Just to be a stick in the side of "You should judge songs MY WAY" people, im going to judge the songs based on their length.
Longest automatically gets the highest score, shortest gets zero.

(click to show/hide)

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #339 on: January 09, 2017, 04:20:20 PM »
Ah authenticity.  The way I see it, any submission not from a "girl band" automatically goes to the bottom.  And that does gets ranked on the merits of the song.  So it's not a matter which, "Which is the purest girliest band?" but rather, "Which is the best song by a girl band?"  Does Heart qualify as a girl band?  Also, this is Heart circa 1976, which is very different from mid-80s Heart, or even Heart today.  If it's the debut single by band fronted by two sisters, where one co-authored (how much?  who knows?) the song, and one's lead guitar and the other the vocalist for the song, where they at that moment a girl band?  Does it matter that they since wrote other songs and performed songs that they had others write for them?

I'll just say this, if "Will You still Love Me Tomorrow?" was co-written by Gerry Goffin and Carole King, does that take away from the authenticity of it being performed by The Shirelles (none of whom even play an instrument)?  I am the one who submitted the Heart song, and I stand by my submission for better or worse.

EDIT -

Typically I wouldn't defend my submission openly, but since people have been openly discussing whether it should even qualify, I felt I had to.

I agree.  I wanted to submit The Breeders until I read The Lat's ruleset.
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #340 on: January 10, 2017, 01:33:17 AM »
I generally don't take theme compliance into account when scoring anyway. I rate the song, not how well the song conforms to a theme.

I haven't done my scores yet - I'll be getting to them in the next couple of days. Not tonight - I have a headache.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #341 on: January 12, 2017, 11:47:06 AM »
Replacement for the now taken down song:

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #342 on: January 12, 2017, 12:21:56 PM »
That is a live version, which is gonna be different.

You could also use the version here, which should be the same as original studio version that was posted:

https://exhexband.bandcamp.com/track/you-fell-apart

EDIT:  I changed the version linked in the posting for anyone running behind.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:25:08 PM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #343 on: January 12, 2017, 07:16:11 PM »
EDIT:  I changed the version linked in the posting for anyone running behind.

Jeeze, don't mess with teh games mod. more on top of things than me, I didn't even notice it was broken.

and as an aside, I don't remember there being so many problems with songs disappearing the last time we did this.
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Online Drunken Idaho

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #344 on: January 14, 2017, 12:15:55 AM »
Couldn't get them in tonight, but I'll have mine in on the 15th without fail if y'all can wait.  :-[
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

personate-rain