Author Topic: Will Facebook make ads for my groups if my memberships are hidden?  (Read 537 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
As you might have noticed, Facebook will occasionally make ads for groups that at least one of your friends is a member of.

I have my settings so as someone that views my profile can't see which groups I am a member of. Of course, people who go directly to the pages of groups that I'm a member of will see me in the membership list there, but it is not visible from my profile.

I wonder, will Facebook, despite my settings, make ads to people on my friendlist for groups that I'm a member of on basis of my membership in them?
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
Re: Will Facebook make ads for my groups if my memberships are hidden?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 11:52:19 PM »
Good question, and post of why I don't trust Facebook with anything but full public posts.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 08:10:54 PM »
I agree, Facebook as a rule can't be trusted at all.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 02:22:58 AM »
I wish that Facebook would steal the circles concept from Google+.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 02:28:09 AM »
I have another question with regard to Facebook if that is alright?

I don't use Facebook a lot but my sister does. I sent a picture to my sister through Facebook from a kayak trip I got back from. My brother commented as well on the picture indicating he could see it as well. That is fine but not sure I want everybody to be able to see something I send someone specific. Not sure if she shared it or if anybody can see it.

What I am curious if if you send somebody something on Facebook, how far does it go?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 02:29:55 AM »
What do you mean by saying you "sent" it to her?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 05:25:38 PM »

Sorry, I realized what was going on. . . .Facebook just does not work like I think it does.
I posted to her page which means anybody who can view her page can see it.
Wanted to at least get back to you.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 06:39:50 PM »

Sorry, I realized what was going on. . . .Facebook just does not work like I think it does.
I posted to her page which means anybody who can view her page can see it.
Wanted to at least get back to you.

That's what I suspected.   You can send someone a direct message which will not show up on their feed, but that's through Messenger.

Offline arthwollipot

• Frequent Poster
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 09:46:00 PM »
I wish that Facebook would steal the circles concept from Google+.

I liked G+'s Circles. Unfortunately I think G+ is the Betamax to Facebook's VHS.

Offline eaglevintage

• Off to a Start
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 06:18:33 AM »
As you might have noticed, Facebook will occasionally make ads for groups that at least one of your friends is a member of.

I have my settings so as someone that views my profile can't see which groups I am a member of. Of course, people who go directly to the pages of groups that I'm a member of will see me in the membership list there, but it is not visible from my profile.

I wonder, will Facebook, despite my settings, make ads to people on my friendlist for groups that I'm a member of on basis of my membership in them?

Facebook ads  is the number one 'stricky rule' in this planet..

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 12:06:53 AM »
Facebook ads  is the number one 'stricky rule' in this planet..

Forgive me, but...what the hell is a 'stricky rule'?

personate-rain