Author Topic: How much mystery swag can one want?  (Read 900 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
How much mystery swag can one want?
« on: July 31, 2016, 09:13:35 PM »
Several podcasts I listen to hawk "Loot Crate" and makes me wonder quite a bit. I believe I have heard Cara hawking it and so has Seth Andrews among others. Now I understand that they have to do this in order to keep their shows on the air so I don't have a major problem with them doing it.

I have a comic book collection of specific comics I wanted, I have various action figures I have collected over the years, and some other items of swag. A few have been happy accidents but most has been stuff I have specifically wanted.

What I don't understand is wanting a box of mystery swag each month. I assume most is stuff that the various toy and other companies could not get rid of. Even if you want the stuff, I think one would run out of places to put the stuff pretty damn fast if nothing else. Otherwise, do you just look at it for a month and throw it away?

Thoughts?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline arthwollipot

• Frequent Poster
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: How much mystery swag can one want?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 09:30:43 PM »
I get that some people might be interested in that. I personally have no interest in collecting swag for pop culture products that I am not already a fan of. At best it would be just useless junk to clutter up my home and at worst it would make me feel like a fraud for giving the impression that I know something about a franchise that I really don't.

So no, even if I could afford it I'd never consider a subscription service like that.

Offline Shibboleth

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 11:11:28 AM »
I think for some people it is like getting a birthday present every month. It isn't so much the stuff inside as the excitement and surprise of what they get every month.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 12:33:11 PM »
I have achieved a more zen-like state about tchotchkes.  I actively avoid them, as all they really do is take up space, and give noting my mind.  (Exceptions are made for music and books, and some visual art - for obvious reasons).  Life is not about things, it is about moments.  Specifically shared moments.  So instead of gathering another thing, I try and gather another moment.

All this is to say.  Yes, Loot Crate, and their ilk makes me WTF all over the place.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown - Prince 👉

Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly
Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land
Man got to tell himself he understand
― Vonnegut

Offline kvuo75

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 05:18:49 PM »

people say all the time the american consumer is always wasting money on shit they dont need.. these are services that literally sell you shit you dont need...

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 05:23:58 PM »
I think for some people it is like getting a birthday present every month. It isn't so much the stuff inside as the excitement and surprise of what they get every month.

What the hell do you do with it after six months or so?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Rider

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 06:36:11 PM »
Plus the quality of these modern tchotchkes are shit.

The two big items every month are a t-shirt and a pop viynl type figure.  How many mash-up t-shirts and big eyed big headed dolls do we need in the world.

Oh hey look it's t-shirt, that looks like the tron poster only it has <insert character here>

"The biofield is the master energy field that regulates the body’s functions and informs the body to relax."

Offline arthwollipot

• Frequent Poster
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 06:04:57 AM »
I have achieved a more zen-like state about tchotchkes.

About what?

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 07:05:27 AM »

About what?

tchotchkes. Its yiddish.  Aka knickknacks, gew-gaws, baubles, trinkets, bric-a-brac, and grimcrackery.  Thenlast two being collective nouns.

But I think tchotchke gets closest to the heart of it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tchotchke

Now where I come from
-Uptown - Prince 👉

― Vonnegut

Offline arthwollipot

• Frequent Poster
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 07:08:03 AM »

About what?

tchotchkes. Its yiddish.  Aka knickknacks, gew-gaws, baubles, trinkets, bric-a-brac, and grimcrackery.  Thenlast two being collective nouns.

But I think tchotchke gets closest to the heart of it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tchotchke

Okay. Not a term I've come across before.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 07:11:15 AM »
Its a damn good one, I think. It's context doesn't come up that much, but when it does.  :dance: :dance:

It came up more when I went to trade shows / conventions for work.
Now where I come from
-Uptown - Prince 👉

― Vonnegut

Offline Shibboleth

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 09:54:59 AM »

What the hell do you do with it after six months or so?

I have no idea. I guess I am picturing a code monkey somewhere that has a desk full of them fighting MechWarrior figurines and Happy Meal toys.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Online Ah.hell

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 10:37:32 AM »
I'd bet that most folks cancel their subscriptions after about 6 months.  It sort of appeals to me but after about a minute of thought I get to, "what would I do with all that crap?"

On a side note:
My last uber driver works for some competitor to loot crate, who knew they had a competitor right?  Geek swag or some nonsense.  I told him they really need more advertising so he gave me a flier.

Online Skulker

• Mafia Pimp
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • I survived both forum crashes of 2014!
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 10:45:14 AM »
This reminds me of the W00t bag-o-crap but at least that was only a one-time mystery purchase. Can't imagine subscribing to this or even using Trunk Club or Dollar Shave Club or any other subscription service like this.
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
- Larry Hardiman

Online Ah.hell

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 11:57:17 AM »
I'll defend dollar shave club due to my own character flaws.  It is cheaper than the razors I was using and instead of waiting until the blade is so worn I can't use it without hacking my face up, I always have a fresh blade near at hand. 

Aside from that, at least dollar shave and trunk club are useful things that get worn out and need replacing.  Although, I can't quite imagine needing a box of close every month.

personate-rain
personate-rain