Author Topic: Female Introspective Host  (Read 500 times)

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
Female Introspective Host
« on: August 11, 2016, 02:43:42 PM »
So I thought about the podcasts that I listen to on a regular basis to expose myself to different interpretations of current events, from different philosophical and ideological lenses.  There are numerous and they are varied, both in tone and format.  However, I came to the realization that they are all either hosted by a man, or have a panel that is predominantly male (with some guest host exceptions).  I'm not looking for a "this is the feminist take" podcast, but instead for a reflective, deep thinking female who responds to current events.  A deep thinker who just happens to have a vagina.  Any recommendations?
You want data?  My pie charts are made with a secret family recipe, my relationship charts stay committed even through tough times, and my line charts will get get high as fuck!

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
Re: Female Introspective Host
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 10:20:36 PM »
I listen to http://TWIS.org (This Week In Science) in part because Dr. Kiki Sanford is more than a little clever, as is Blair. Justin is not nearly as clever, but adds a really good chemistry to the trio. He and Kiki have been at the program for well over a decade - since before podcasting, as a radio show.

The http://TWiT.tv network (This Week in Tech) has many female hosts for various shows. They also have a pretty good range of ages in their hosts, which I appreciate.

Spark (http://CBC.ca/Spark) is hosted by Nora Young. Very clever and insightful.

Invisibilia (NPR) has three female hosts. I can't remember their names (because I'm shit at names) but they've all been interesting and insightful.

Ophelia Eisenberg runs Ask Me Another (also NPR). Damn funny and clever puzzle/quiz/interview show.

You'll find a lot of women in NPR, CBC, ABC and BBC programs.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 01:01:43 AM »
Science Vs. has been picked up by Gimlet. So far, I am impressed. The host is Wendy Zuckerman.

The DoubleX gabfest on Slate offers a feminist perspective on current news.

2 Dope Queens isn't news related, but it is fantastic.

KCRW's Press Play with Madeline Brand is a good news show, but a big chunk of the issues are of local interest (SoCal).

Slate's Amicus with Dahlia Lithwick is fantastic.

On the whole, though, podcasts seem to be pretty male dominated. I guess they call it "mansplaining" for a reason.

Offline jasonsmashtalk

• Triskaidekaphilic
    • Skeptic Smash-Talk
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 08:25:08 AM »
So I thought about the podcasts that I listen to on a regular basis to expose myself to different interpretations of current events, from different philosophical and ideological lenses.  There are numerous and they are varied, both in tone and format.  However, I came to the realization that they are all either hosted by a man, or have a panel that is predominantly male (with some guest host exceptions).  I'm not looking for a "this is the feminist take" podcast, but instead for a reflective, deep thinking female who responds to current events.  A deep thinker who just happens to have a vagina.  Any recommendations?

My wife has started joining me on my podcast www.skepticsmashtalk.com its quite interesting as we are chalk and cheese, Im an ex-Army Australian, Skeptic, Atheist, who often gets angry at everything, and she is an ex-Navy, English, vegan, hippy....and yet we never argue about our personal philosophy.

Dont tell her I said this but I think she is extremely intellectual and as she gets more comfortable with talking into a microphone (which if you haven't done, can be daunting) she will be doing more and more segments

Now I have no real proof of this, I'm only going off what I have heard from female  podcasters  that they do get a lot of abuse in the Skeptic/Atheist community so I get why they shy away sometimes...

But to answer your question, BBC5 live often has female presenters such as Kat Arney

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 10:48:31 AM »
Awesome, going to give Science Vs, skeptic smash talk, and Invisibilia a shot (already tried Invisibilia once, was turned off by the political commentary and the fact that I couldn't tell the hosts voices apart, but second chances and all).
You want data?  My pie charts are made with a secret family recipe, my relationship charts stay committed even through tough times, and my line charts will get get high as fuck!

personate-rain