Author Topic: Science Vs.  (Read 821 times)

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Not Enough Spare Time
Science Vs.
« on: August 12, 2016, 01:05:21 AM »
Gimlet has a new podcast called "Science Vs."

So far, I am impressed. It's no SGU, but that is kinda an unfairly high bar to compare podcasts against.

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Science Vs.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 01:37:42 AM »
It's pretty good, though I admit to a small cultural cringe when I hear Zuckerman's westie accent.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 11:20:18 AM »
I've just discovered this podcast, after it was mentioned in a thread here. It is truly one of the best. Science and evidence, and the hell with ideologies.

There are too many podcasts that consist of two or three people talking inanities, without substance of any sort. Sort of like college freshmen drinking beer and imagining they have something worthwhile to say, and you are sitting at the next table wishing they would STFU already. Which, fortunately, they do when I delete the podcast.

And there are too few podcasts that offer genuine, interesting information. Like the SGU or Science for the People. Or even fun useless information like Sawbones. Science VS is in the first (and best) category. Anybody reading this will probably love it.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 12:02:55 PM »
I like that it doesn't try to force a narrative either.  IT's really about the investigation.  So many of the "informative" podcasts feel like they're trying to tell a story first, and I wonder what facts didn't make the cut because they would have screwed with the narrative.
I agree with Clunn, which makes me feel all weird inside.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 12:15:14 PM »
It's a goodun, I'll agree.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline nameofthewave

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 09:00:37 PM »
Agreed. All the episodes I've listened to have been pretty good but in particular the one on hypnosis was one of the best analyses on the topic I've heard.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 02:56:19 PM »
The immigration episode was bad.  It couldn't distinguish between illegal and legal immigration, which makes all the results completely pointless for actually responding to people's concerns.  Disappointing.  :(
I agree with Clunn, which makes me feel all weird inside.