Author Topic: Garage gym DIY  (Read 1383 times)

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
Garage gym DIY
« on: August 16, 2016, 11:22:36 PM »
Anyone have tips or ideas?  This is mostly for my young son.
Any structural expertise?
Short version for the op. Longer version below:
I am in favor of killing all whales on principle. Where is my avalanche of 'provocateur' money?

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
Re: Garage gym DIY
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 11:24:23 PM »

The house I just moved in to has a 1500 sq ft shop building, concrete floor. 4x4 studs, mostly 2x4 cross members and trusses, I'll get some pictures of how it's constructed if anyone cares.

I finally scored some floor mats, but they weren't as thick as I had hoped, so one thing I'm looking to do is put together some kind of safe landing surface. I'm thinking of hitting up some furniture stores for cushion padding and.. I don't know what. Sewing or gluing vinyl seems like it might be out of my wheelhouse, and almost as expensive as just buying the dam things (and that's very expensive).

So far I've thrown up a climbing rope, and plan to put a couple of climbing walls along the walls.

Big building material expenses will have to wait until the old house sells, but I'm trying to drum up some ideas.
Eventually I'll want some monkey bars and similar obstacles, a climbing pole. That sort of thing.
I am in favor of killing all whales on principle. Where is my avalanche of 'provocateur' money?

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 11:43:19 AM »
I'm a structural engineer.

In the US, in a building meant a some sort of work space or garage, you should be able count on the exposed trusses to support 2000lbf at the panel points.(where the truss members are connected.)  I personally wouldn't count on it in a garage associated with a private residence.  I'd count on 300lbf. 

Wood frame walls can support a lot if you attach directly to the wood studs but you shouldn't drill to many holes in them.  That's about as precise as I'd get with that.  If you want to put up the climbing wall, I'd primarily support it from the roof and just attach it to the wall in order to keep it from flapping about.  Self supporting would be ideal.  Also, look into your local building codes, they likely have rules regarding what sort and the value of modifications that require permitting.

My advice is worth what you paid for it. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 11:47:09 AM by Ah.hell »

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 08:34:37 AM »
I'm a structural engineer.

In the US, in a building meant a some sort of work space or garage, you should be able count on the exposed trusses to support 2000lbf at the panel points.(where the truss members are connected.)  I personally wouldn't count on it in a garage associated with a private residence.  I'd count on 300lbf. 

Wood frame walls can support a lot if you attach directly to the wood studs but you shouldn't drill to many holes in them.  That's about as precise as I'd get with that.  If you want to put up the climbing wall, I'd primarily support it from the roof and just attach it to the wall in order to keep it from flapping about.  Self supporting would be ideal.  Also, look into your local building codes, they likely have rules regarding what sort and the value of modifications that require permitting.

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
I appreciate your input. I certainly understand that you wouldn't dream of offering up a professional opinion just going on a description or pictures, but that sort of generalized info is valuable, as I don't really know.

I'll throw pictures up later, and some more as I go; if you need to jump in with dire warnings please do :)

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 08:41:09 AM »
I recommemd googling how to make a homemade TRX and looking at a few videos on their use.
They can be safely used in a door frame and can be usefule for working a range of muscle groups.
Mine always goes with me on trips of more than a few days.

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 08:58:07 AM »
I recommemd googling how to make a homemade TRX and looking at a few videos on their use.
They can be safely used in a door frame and can be usefule for working a range of muscle groups.
Mine always goes with me on trips of more than a few days.
I'll check that out, thank you

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 01:14:10 PM »

Our old house is under contract finally.
Will probably close in about 6 weeks, then I'll be able to buy some materials to get going.
(Which will also be nice, because the weather should be much cooler by then.)

In the meantime, finally scored a 12ft ladder, so I put up a couple of climbing ropes and rings.
It's not much, but I'm excited to get going on it.

Those trusses are 2x6, I realized once I really looked.
I think that should be plenty strong enough until my son is at least in his early teens.
If I go to adding too much to that support, I might just add a 4x4 beam and mount it to the floor with one of these

And some concrete bolts... I guess?
And having a new stud in the middle of that corner of the shop would be fine, because we've kicked around the idea of eventually putting some kind of platform, like a loft type thing, in that corner

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 01:15:42 PM »
Not a good perspective in the photo, but those ropes all hang about four feet away from that light, by the way

ETA
You might also notice the big, ungainly knots in the ropes at the top (and that one for the left-hand ring appears looped over, but that's just excess from where it's knotted.)
I plan to get some good crimps pretty soon and fix that.
Something like this maybe
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 02:09:36 PM by lubbarin »

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 05:53:02 AM »
You could splice that three strand ropes easily for no money, or just tie them off on the beam with a clove hitch. 
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 07:00:34 AM »
You could splice that three strand ropes easily for no money, or just tie them off on the beam with a clove hitch.
I would have to know what a clove hitch is. ;)
I'm by no means a ropes and knots guy.
I'll Google it.

Thanks for the idea.
(Yes, this post started with 3 consecutive different forms of the word 'I'.
Because I am a self centered )

Offline Harry Black

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 07:19:55 AM »
If you cant tie knots tie lots is what I always say!
I grew up on boats and Im SHIT at them, but I have to say, it is always worth youtubing them if you need to tie them as they are really easy once you see them.
My brain just refuses to retain them for the next time.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 08:53:56 AM »
umm
my home gym setup is a chinup bar and the heaviest weighted resistance band I could find.  I do mostly isometric exercises like squats, pushups, etc.

For a while I was using this 8 minute workout app that was surprisingly intense,  I was pretty winded by the end.

So good luck with your way more ambitious setup!

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 01:32:25 PM »
I grew up on boats and Im SHIT at them, but I have to say, it is always worth youtubing them if you need to tie them as they are really easy once you see them.

Bummer.  Knots, bends and hitch are very cool.
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 03:43:34 PM »
umm
my home gym setup is a chinup bar and the heaviest weighted resistance band I could find.  I do mostly isometric exercises like squats, pushups, etc.

For a while I was using this 8 minute workout app that was surprisingly intense,  I was pretty winded by the end.

So good luck with your way more ambitious setup!
My tiny slice of the space may end up a lot like what you describe.
The rest is for my son, who is ridiculous and deserves a full ninja obstacle course, but will have to make do with some rock walls, monkey bars and the like that I can put together.

Offline Harry Black

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 06:43:29 PM »

Bummer.  Knots, bends and hitch are very cool.
Its fine. I keep a laminated cheat sheet where I need it.
Ive always been able to learn them to pass courses but they are gone the next week.

Lub,
Indoor rock walls are a HUGE deal! He will develop serious strength and dexterity! You are doing him a life long solid.

personate-rain
personate-rain