Author Topic: Garage gym DIY  (Read 1335 times)

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Garage gym DIY
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2017, 06:44:47 PM »
Indoor rock walls are a HUGE deal! He will develop serious strength and dexterity! You are doing him a life long solid.

likewise, if you had along the side of the monkey-bars an alternative to the bars, some young-boy-equivalent-sized 'baseball grips' (drill hole in baseball, put rope through it, hang them, struggle to hold yourself up on baseballs because of finger and forearm strength requirement)

Sewing or gluing vinyl seems like it might be out of my wheelhouse

funny you should mention that. talking about life-long epic strength n stuff, what came to mind was the mushroom (how little kids learn olympic pommel horse / awesome breakdancer power moves). they have how-tos online of how to make them, and typically they end with 'coat the soft stuff in vinyl'. What they recommend is not sewing/gluing, but using like a hammer tacker and pounding staples into the ends to fasten it to the underside of the substrate :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 06:48:41 PM by GodSlayer »
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2017, 04:32:46 PM »
My new nightmare is cutting 4x4s precisely.
The inexpensive miter saws only have a 3.5" maximum 90° cut, and the price basically doubles for a saw capable of greater than 4".

Found a chop saw that cuts deep enough and was fairly inexpensive, but nobody could tell me whether the "general purpose cutting wheel" is appropriate for wood.
(And my phone was dead.)

Decided to wait, and upon looking it up when I got home I find that indeed it is not appropriate for wood. The word "explode" came up more than once on various forums discussing the question.

So... crap. Stalled again until I can justify buying $300 minimum for cutting tools.

Of course my little skill saw can cut just over half way through. But I turn it over and, well, I'm not precise. I end up with uneven edges.
I am in favor of killing all whales on principle. Where is my avalanche of 'provocateur' money?

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2017, 07:50:41 PM »
Of course my little skill saw can cut just over half way through. But I turn it over and, well, I'm not precise. I end up with uneven edges.

hah, I had this same issue last week. it's a lot of sanding to fix that bullshit.
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

personate-rain
personate-rain