Author Topic: Any Elite: Dangerous Players  (Read 461 times)

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
Any Elite: Dangerous Players
« on: August 22, 2016, 06:34:05 PM »
Anyone play Elite: Dangerous? I recently started getting back into it. Decided to wipe my save and start all over. If anyone's interested my pilot name is Dan I. Will be fairly useless for awhile since I'm starting over but if any one plays be nice to have some interaction out there in the black.

Online SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
Re: Any Elite: Dangerous Players
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 12:11:26 AM »
I picked it up on steam sale. The controls are...unintuitive. I may experiment with a game pad, because KBM is not cutting it.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 08:00:08 AM »
I picked it up on steam sale. The controls are...unintuitive. I may experiment with a game pad, because KBM is not cutting it.

It's a complicated game for sure. Very much a "sim" and not an "arcade style" system. There is a Xbox version so a gamepad might work. I currently use a joystick but and planning to invest in a HOTAS at some point. I've heard that you really need a HOTAS to get the most out of it.

Online SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 01:37:40 PM »

It's a complicated game for sure. Very much a "sim" and not an "arcade style" system. There is a Xbox version so a gamepad might work. I currently use a joystick but and planning to invest in a HOTAS at some point. I've heard that you really need a HOTAS to get the most out of it.
I fixed it!

Rebind mouse X axis to yaw, A-D to roll, space/ctrl to forward/backward maneuver thrusters, W/S to vertical thrusters, and leave Q/E as left-right thrusters, and change he throttle to the mouse wheel in increments (I went 12.5%) and BAMCIS, suddenly I can beat the advanced combat training. I was trying to fly it like Freelancer or something similar, whereas it plays much better if you think of it as an actual 3-dimensional space sim. Kicking in maneuver thrusters to get the guns facing the right way makes it a lot easier then trying to pull maneuvers like it's an in-atmo dogfight.

I still can't manage to drop out next to a station quite right, but that's user error.
HIISSSSSSSS

Online fonebone

• don't want a pickle
  • Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 04:45:28 PM »
Ive got quite a few hours in this game.  I cant imagine playing it without a HOTAS.

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 08:39:48 PM »

Looks like the aliens (video assumes they are the Thargoids) have made an appearance.

Offline Dujardini

• Brand New
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 09:41:19 AM »
I still play this on and off, although it's been a while.  I found my initial time with the game most rewarding; playing with a HOTAS learning all the mechanics such as flying, docking, trading, combat etc.  I started to lose interest once I became familiar with everything; and even the Horizon updates including the planetary landings seem a bit shallow.  I think I need more career progression options (more narrative driven missions I think) rather than the simple missions system they have at the moment.  They've given it all a lick of pain recently (NPCs) but it's still a bit shallow.

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 09:54:01 AM »
I'm glad I didn't spend money on the $249.99 HOTAS I was looking at earlier because Thrustmaster (who makes GREAT stuff) just released this:

http://a.co/2fFWmps

Which (if you can't tell by the color scheme) was actually designed with input from Frontier for optimum use with Elite.

Offline Dujardini

• Brand New
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 10:11:50 AM »
Wow, that looks really good.  I borrowed a friend's X52-Pro (which was sitting unused); it's amazing with a HOTAS.

Online Colonel Panic

• Off to a Start
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 10:27:27 PM »

HOTAS is by far the best way to play Elite: Dangerous.

When I first got the game, I tried playing on keyboard and mouse and it was no fun at all. Playing with a standard game controller on my brother's Xbox was a little better, but still a bit of a chore.

Then I picked up a used Saitek x52 on Ebay for about $100, and it has really brought the game alive.