Author Topic: How strictly is the moderation applied?  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
How strictly is the moderation applied?
« on: August 29, 2016, 06:26:18 PM »
I know I have been in, shall we say, troubled relations with the moderation in the past. So I wonder how strictly the moderation is applied.

If I write something that can be interpreted as an insult to anyone, no matter how far-fetched that interpretation might be (I have rewritten posts several times before posting in order to avoid even getting close to it), will that result in an instant ban? Or how exactly are the rules applied?
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Re: How strictly is the moderation applied?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 07:00:15 PM »
I doubt that anything written in good faith would result in an instant ban. I suspect those are reserved for spam. Maybe also for cases where bad faith was clear. Otherwise I'll bet that a violation would result in a warning and possibly removal of the offending post.

(I'm not a mod and have never been a mod here or elsewhere, so I'm just basing the above on what I think is common sense.)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 08:20:59 PM »
I would suggest that if you have a question you address it directly to Louie.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 08:59:02 PM »
If you're not sure, don't post it.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Online Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • I'm sorry, Dr. Novella, I'm afraid I can't do that.
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 03:57:11 PM »
I know I have been in, shall we say, troubled relations with the moderation in the past. So I wonder how strictly the moderation is applied.

If I write something that can be interpreted as an insult to anyone, no matter how far-fetched that interpretation might be (I have rewritten posts several times before posting in order to avoid even getting close to it), will that result in an instant ban? Or how exactly are the rules applied?

First off, only (commercial) spammers get instant bans, so don't worry about that happening to you.

We don't treat insults on a 'in the eye of the beholder' basis. The rules really are quite simple: if you want to avoid warnings, don't direct abusive language at another member personally and don't dig into their perceived personal faults. Keep to the content of their arguments.

Acceptable: What you just wrote is idiotic.
Unacceptable: You're an idiot.

SQ's advice is a very good one.

Despite the 'troubled past' between you and the moderators, you've since shown willingness to adapt your posting behaviour to the rules. And when you don't understand those, you ask. We appreciate that. You're not on thin ice or anything. We only ban members after they've repeatedly violated the rules, ignored the warnings and show no willingness to change after temporary suspension. We don't like banning people, and it's not something we do lightly.

Does that make it a bit clearer?

« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 04:13:20 PM by Louie »
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 09:43:05 AM »
Does that make it a bit clearer?

Yes it does, thanks.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

personate-rain