Author Topic: Episode #582  (Read 2588 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Re: Episode #582
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2016, 09:39:04 AM »
I'm sorry to say that I really detested that NFL (or was it college football?) ad.  I don't mind the tasteful, NPR-style ads read by the rogues themselves, but that was really jarring and annoying.  There's a reason I haven't been able to listen to commercial radio in decades, and it's the tone and loudness of ads that speak to you as though you were a moron.  Additionally, the vast majority of your listening audience outside the US couldn't give a crap about this.

Please, no more!  It was thoroughly beneath you and this show. I'm currently not in a position to become a contributing member, but I hope to be one day.

That's why podcast apps have a Skip Forward button. I don't get the ads on SGU, but there are a couple of podcasts I listen to that I don't subscribe to, and I use the Skip Forward button when they begin their ads.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2016, 10:08:58 AM »
That's why podcast apps have a Skip Forward button. I don't get the ads on SGU, but there are a couple of podcasts I listen to that I don't subscribe to, and I use the Skip Forward button when they begin their ads.

Not sure that is why they have a skip forward button, because the default iOS app changed from 30 seconds to 15 seconds, making it more tedious to skip commercials that usually last multiples of 30 rather than anything less than that.

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2016, 12:27:14 PM »

Not sure that is why they have a skip forward button, because the default iOS app changed from 30 seconds to 15 seconds, making it more tedious to skip commercials that usually last multiples of 30 rather than anything less than that.

Okay. To be precise, they have the Skip Forward button so that you can skip through anything you don't want to listen to. I figure that's mostly ads, though I will admit it's not necessarily only ads.

As for the iOS Podcast app, I'm a pretty big fan of Apple, and I found that app to be crap. There are so many other podcast apps available, and probably all of them are better. I use iCatcher, which has 30 seconds for the Skip Forward and Jump Back buttons.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2016, 01:04:00 PM »
I use iCatcher, which has 30 seconds for the Skip Forward and Jump Back buttons.

Pocket Casts lets you pick your own skip times for each.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline voxmoose

• Brand New
    • T.D. Gutierrez
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2016, 05:12:39 PM »
I'm sorry to say that I really detested that NFL (or was it college football?) ad.  I don't mind the tasteful, NPR-style ads read by the rogues themselves, but that was really jarring and annoying.  There's a reason I haven't been able to listen to commercial radio in decades, and it's the tone and loudness of ads that speak to you as though you were a moron.  Additionally, the vast majority of your listening audience outside the US couldn't give a crap about this.

Please, no more!  It was thoroughly beneath you and this show. I'm currently not in a position to become a contributing member, but I hope to be one day.

I'm glad someone mentioned this.  My concern was with the very existence of an ad of this character on the show, not whether one could in principle forward through it using one's favorite podcast software, as other listeners have focused on.  I understand the need for some sponsorship to pay the bills, but this ad was simply embarrassing. 

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2016, 06:36:50 PM »
I use iCatcher, which has 30 seconds for the Skip Forward and Jump Back buttons.

Pocket Casts lets you pick your own skip times for each.

So does iCatcher, but the default is 30.  Actually, you can set up two different skip gestures for different lengths.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2016, 07:15:37 PM »
Allow me to say a few words in defense of the "Muscle Confusion" principle.

As background, I was into the bodybuilding scene back in the 1970's and 1980's - think "Pumping Iron" - as a wannabe and fanboy. Later, starting in 1990, I became part owner in 3 different Gold's Gyms. I also got certified as a Personal Trainer by the ACSM in the early 1990's.

The "Muscle Confusion" principle was one of many popularized by Joe Weider:

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=425660.5;wap2

The one in question:

MUSCLE CONFUSION: Constantly change variables in your workout — number of sets, number of reps, exercise choice, order of exercises, length of your rest periods — to avoid getting in a rut and slowing growth.

Now, I'll stipulate that Weider's principles were not necessarily held out to be scientific - most were based on anecdote, though I'll venture a few have been validated scientifically.

Still, I think I can make a case for "Muscle Confusion":

1) As stated, doing the same exercise day after day can get very boring. Mixing it up can keep things fresh and improve program compliance.

2) Different exercises stress muscles in different ways, stimulating different fibers. Think of bicep curls - wrist position makes a difference. Hence, you can get slightly different results by using different bars or different machines, for example.

3) Similarly, joints, ligaments and tendons are stressed to various degrees by different exercises. By mixing up exercises, one may decrease the frequency of overuse injuries.

As an aside, one other idea that seemed promising - variable resistance - seemed like a good idea, but at least as of the early 1990's had little or no evidence of efficacy. I'm talking about Nautilus machines, Hammer Strength and virtually every machine incorporating a cam. They may feel better, but as far as I know there's no real evidence they do anything beneficial.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 07:19:15 PM by Fast Eddie B »
"And what it all boils down to is that no one's really got it figured out just yet" - Alanis Morisette
• • •
"I doubt that!" - James Randi

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2016, 09:17:53 PM »
Speaking from "Corn Country," and definitely NOT a fan of "industrial agriculture," I do have a partial defense of corn-based ethanol, and that is as a transitional technology. You can't solve the hard problems of ethanol production without first perfecting the easy problems. I do see some hope in perfecting the generation of fuel from less desirable sources, such as corn stover (leftovers from harvesting) and various grasses and other biomass that might be grown on less desirable land. The sooner the better.

Meanwhile, my flex-fuel vehicle gets a nice tax break on E-85 fuel in Iowa, so I get some of my tax money back.

Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline Ron Obvious

• Off to a Start
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2016, 10:13:36 PM »

Ah, but I listened, as I usually do, on my bluetooth headset while cycling, and I only had the options to advance or skip back a track at a time.

In any case, we don't want the SGU to go down this path, do we?

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2016, 03:16:44 AM »

Most ads, on most podcasts I listen to are for US only products. I put up with it as the price of getting great content. I noticed that ad, only because it was unusual for SGU. It doesn't concern me if there are more like that. I prefer the ads the rogues do.

Depending on what device I'm listening on (My Nano has skip backwards only), I will skip forward if it is an ad for a product I know is not available in Australia.
But I have taken advantage of several podcast ad deals in the past. I will listen to anything that is new.

Offline Tom Hopper

• Brand New
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2016, 09:12:00 AM »
I'd like to know how exactly they propose to transmit power from solar satellites down to the Earth...

The usual assumption is microwave transmission...

Okay. So it could be done safely. But the military will build a version to be used as a weapon...

Weaponisation is a problem with any technology. Microwave directed energy weapons (specifically, high-power microwave, or HPM) are generally conceived of as human-safe means of disrupting electronics; it's technically and physically difficult to make a killing microwave beam. Also, in this case, the Outer Space Treaty would also pose a legal barrier to deployment of such orbital weapons.

Offline Tom Hopper

• Brand New
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2016, 09:43:05 AM »
I've been in the renewable energy industry for thirty years, and the key argument in favor of biofuels has never been carbon footprint. At least within the industry, carbon-neutral or carbon-negative fuels have always been the ultimate goal, and there have been some high-profile announcements from companies and research groups claiming to have achieved such, but the complexity of the problem and basic thermodynamic considerations has always cast doubt on our ability to actually achieve carbon-neutral biofuels.

Rather, biofuels solve two other problems. The big one is energy independence and, closely related, energy security; domestic biofuels can displace imported oil. The smaller of the two problems is energy storage density and specific energy. For transportation, you need energy storage that is both low-weight and small. Weight, in particular, is the critical parameter in passenger vehicles. Unfortunately, there's no technology that even comes close to hydrocarbon-based fuels on these scales (see, for example, this eia graph: https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.cfm?id=9991). Metal hydrides require twice the space for a tenth the energy (which equates to driving range). Batteries and chemical hydrides require around twenty times the space for one hundredth the energy.

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2016, 10:38:46 AM »

I'm glad someone mentioned this.  My concern was with the very existence of an ad of this character on the show, not whether one could in principle forward through it using one's favorite podcast software, as other listeners have focused on.  I understand the need for some sponsorship to pay the bills, but this ad was simply embarrassing. 

For those if us who don't get the version with ads, would someone summarize the ad in question, including why you consider it offensive or inappropriate? Thanks.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Ron Obvious

• Off to a Start
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2016, 10:45:38 AM »
For those if us who don't get the version with ads, would someone summarize the ad in question, including why you consider it offensive or inappropriate? Thanks.

It was exactly the kind of ad you might hear on TV advertising Monday Night Football, i.e. prerecorded, loud (with driving music) and moronic. It's absolutely wrong for the SGU in every way.

Offline olasonn

• Brand New
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2016, 10:52:17 AM »
...based on the distance used in the 1908 Olympics in London for some reason or another
Some story behind why it ended up being that distance:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics_at_the_1908_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_marathon#Course

Damn Queen making me have to run even longer than I would have had to otherwise.  >:(

personate-rain