Author Topic: Episode #583  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #583
« on: September 10, 2016, 11:03:48 AM »
Guest Rogue Brian Brushwood; News Items: Lightning Reindeer Death, Space Train, Juno at Jupiter, Evolving Tasmanian Devils, Finding Galactic Missing Mass; What’s the Word: Thanatosis; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
Re: Episode #583
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 03:33:55 PM »
Look, I get that setting up recordings in live events is hard, but that's no excuse for the abysmal sound quality this episode had.
Podcasts that have existed for far less time and without collecting membership fees from their listeners manage to deliver perfect sound from live events (even DragonCon) without any issue - why can't you? Consistently, might I add?
Sorry to be "that guy", but that was the last straw for me and I just cancelled my SGU membership. I just don't understand how you can let something like this slide.
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Offline Scud422

• Brand New
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 06:06:22 PM »
Would it be possible to see the pictures that were shown to the crowd for this episode?

Offline AtheistApotheosis

• Doesn't Panic
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 07:21:55 PM »
I grew up on a cattle station and I've seen the results of lightening strikes on large numbers of animals. It probably happens more often than we think since its not always reported, at least not as lightening strikes. On large properties they may not be discovered for some time and cause of death may be from any number of things, poisonous plants, water toxicity, heat stress, animal attacks, disease and asphyxiation from methane build-up, etc. Farm animals are experts at dying of obscure and improbable things. Farming is a stressful, frustrating, depressing but rewarding occupation. My dad has had a few near misses and a couple of near hits with lightning, luckily he was in the cab of his tractor on these occasions. During storms our house got hit by lightning a few times as well, it would arc between the bath tub and sink sometimes. And one time the phone exploded, luckily no one was home at the time, but there was bits of Bakelite all over the house and a hole in the wall where the phone use to be. There was also a blackened hole in the front screen door for some reason. This is why I get a little nervous during lightning storms. Now I live on the gold coast in Queensland there have been a few people killed and injured by lightning over the last few years. A tree in the park behind my unit was hit three months after I moved up here and a lightning strike blew up a transformer in the next street four years ago. It also killed my computer.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 10:13:17 AM »
As the token Tasmanian on this forum I will answer Jay's question:
 :jay: "Who would win in a fight. A Honey Badger or a Tasmanian Devil"

The answer: The Honey Badger, easily.

It would win just by showing up. Tasmanian Devils, despite their reputation, are very timid creatures.
If you run into one in the bush they will make a lot of noise and act aggressive, but they won't come near a human or any large animal.
I'd back one against a chihuahua. Just. But any reasonable size dog. Terrier size or larger would be too strong for it.
A Honey Badger could take on a whole pack of Tassie Devils. Honey Badgers are ferocious. I've seen video of them taking on, and scaring off a group of lions FFS  ;)

Would it be possible to see the pictures that were shown to the crowd for this episode?

I came to ask the same question. They should be put in the show notes so we can follow along.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 10:34:00 AM by Tassie Dave »

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 12:08:23 PM »
Look, I get that setting up recordings in live events is hard, but that's no excuse for the abysmal sound quality this episode had.
Podcasts that have existed for far less time and without collecting membership fees from their listeners manage to deliver perfect sound from live events (even DragonCon) without any issue - why can't you? Consistently, might I add?
Sorry to be "that guy", but that was the last straw for me and I just cancelled my SGU membership. I just don't understand how you can let something like this slide.

Wow.  Sorry, not much respect for that attitude.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 01:36:38 PM »

It would help if Ambious was more specific - is it the overall sound quality that he objected to, or just the awful echo on Evan's feed?  I can understand being annoyed when 1/6 of the panel is impossible to hear, but the other Rogues sounded fine to me.

I know nothing about audio engineering, but in one of my other podcasts This Week in Virology, the host has pointed out several times how once you've spent a few years producing a podcast, you immediately recognize bad sound quality in other programs.  Yet when TWiV does a podcast from a conference, it sounds about the same as this SGU episode.  Am I missing something here?  Seem to me this decline in quality is the norm when you do a live show.

Offline AtheistApotheosis

• Doesn't Panic
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 09:29:35 PM »

It would help if Ambious was more specific - is it the overall sound quality that he objected to, or just the awful echo on Evan's feed?  I can understand being annoyed when 1/6 of the panel is impossible to hear, but the other Rogues sounded fine to me.

I know nothing about audio engineering, but in one of my other podcasts This Week in Virology, the host has pointed out several times how once you've spent a few years producing a podcast, you immediately recognize bad sound quality in other programs.  Yet when TWiV does a podcast from a conference, it sounds about the same as this SGU episode.  Am I missing something here?  Seem to me this decline in quality is the norm when you do a live show.

I thought Evan had his head in a bucket, maybe he was dressed as Iron Man.

Offline ameliskep

• Brand New
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 11:43:44 PM »
The link for Space Train in the show notes is to the reindeer killed by lightning.   ???

Like others, I was also looking for the pictures shown at the show.

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 07:58:54 AM »
 :steve: the Klingon's are in the Delta Quadrant?

That was painful to hear.

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 08:01:41 AM »

I also heard a couple of odd crackles but I'm not sure if that was my Bluetooth acting up or the feed itself. Obviously something was up with Evan's feed. But you're so dependent on the set up at the venue when you do a live show that it's tough for me to necessarily blame the SGU. They do seem to have had consistent problems with the audio quality at live events. But cancelling a membership over that seems a little over the top.

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 08:18:43 AM »
Seem to me this decline in quality is the norm when you do a live show.

I'd direct you to pick at random any 'live from' episode of Sex Nerd Sandra or Never Not Funny or The Nerdist or You Made it Weird or Comedy Bang Bang or Who Charted or Spontaneanation* or Improv4Humans or The Smartest Man (ok, all Proops' shows are all live). every so often, Doug Loves Movies has sketchy audio, but when you've done nearly 1,000 live episodes you're bound to run into technical troubles at some point)

*on second thought, go with ep.51, hilarious! :D
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 08:23:18 AM by GodSlayer »
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 10:33:06 AM »
Regarding the space train, I'm surprised that nobody pointed out (unless I missed it) that a space train traveling at 1% the speed of light would get from Earth to Mars very quickly, but would then leave the solar system, never to return, since that is well above the sun's escape velocity. The speed of a space train that continually orbits the sun, passing regularly by any chosen planets, would be constrained by orbital dynamics. Altering the details of the orbit would make some changes in the speed, but you can't exceed the sun's escape velocity by that much and remain in the solar system without enormous expenditure of energy to make the turn-arounds. A space train could provide more comfortable accommodations for the trip, but would not shorten it.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 11:08:12 AM »
Regarding the space train, I'm surprised that nobody pointed out (unless I missed it) that a space train traveling at 1% the speed of light would get from Earth to Mars very quickly, but would then leave the solar system, never to return, since that is well above the sun's escape velocity. The speed of a space train that continually orbits the sun, passing regularly by any chosen planets, would be constrained by orbital dynamics. Altering the details of the orbit would make some changes in the speed, but you can't exceed the sun's escape velocity by that much and remain in the solar system without enormous expenditure of energy to make the turn-arounds. A space train could provide more comfortable accommodations for the trip, but would not shorten it.

This is a really good point and I'll admit I didn't catch it either. I guess the assumption is that they would have the ability to turn the vehicle to keep in on a loop.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2016, 11:25:06 AM »
Nothing as dramatic as cancelling any memberships, but I moved on to the next podcast in my queue and deleted the rest of this episode after about 15 minutes.  I've got no shortage of content.  See you back again next week!
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

personate-rain