Author Topic: Westworld - Spoiler Thread  (Read 7767 times)

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
Re: Westworld - Spoiler Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2016, 03:54:49 AM »
I really liked the 2nd episode, as well as the speculation in the last few comments. MIB being human seems very likely now, and I can't wait to find out more. Anthony Hopkins being behind the Robot Rebellion also seems likely to me... but no matter where it goes, I'm pretty happy for the time being.

Also helps that the movie was fucking awful, and literally anything would seem brilliant by comparison.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2016, 09:13:21 AM »
A interesting fan theory is flies (living flies) are a kind of canary in a coal mine. Everything, including horses, is fake. The only living thing in the park are humans. The only way to determine if a robot's "do not hurt any life" is compromised is if it kills a human. That's a bad way to detect failure. However, if a robot kills a fly, a real live fly, that's a good indication something is wrong.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2016, 07:01:18 AM »
At this point, I'm a little perplexed that people are still arguing the MiB is a robot and that there's two timelines 30 years apart in play.  MiB was referred to as a VIP guest by staff and personally referred to how much he was spending and why he goes there.  And Delores' flight from the farm to McPoyle's campfire pretty seals this all as being one timeline. 
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2016, 09:09:02 AM »
Some hints at how the guns work. The guns seem to work by shooting a kind of paintless paintball. It's moderately unpleasant if you get hit. But if they hit robots, the bots are designed to squib.

The desert cult didn't seem to be affected by bullets. Were they humans?

The more they try to make the man in black seem like a human being, the more I'm certain he's a robot! Conspiracy!

The nudity: Ford doesn't want his humans treating the robots lie humans. Hence, they are to be worked on naked. He looks for workers who respond in uncomfortable ways and shuts that shit down asap. Makes sense.

The robot carving Orion was pretty cool. A cool tease in BSG, even if it wasn't fully developed, was the notion of the robots getting religion. A one true god. They touched on this a bit. This talking to Arnold. This idea that their original programming had some kind of "voice of god" subroutine.

Chilling line: there's one line of code that keeps them from killing us.

Korean Podcast

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2016, 01:41:13 PM »
Yeah, lots of setup in this last episode (finally got to watch it last night). I might need to watch it again to grasp everything...

Not being fazed by bullets is one of the key indicators of human/robot; I hope they don't abuse the mystery of who's what too much, if robots have figured out how not to die from bullets.

Some hints at how the guns work. The guns seem to work by shooting a kind of paintless paintball. It's moderately unpleasant if you get hit. But if they hit robots, the bots are designed to squib.

I missed this part, evidently. So every part of the robots is implanted with explosives? Or nanobots that mimic necks flying apart with a bullet impact?
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2016, 02:30:06 PM »
I'm not sure totally if the guns work that way. That's mostly just speculation. Some suggest robot skin is more fragile and the bullets don't shatter like the do on human skin. It more like the idea their robot brains read the trajectory and then squib off parts of their body to produce the effect of a bullet entering or exiting.

But it's clear so far that robot guns shoot something that hurts a bit. But also they amazingly miss your eyes. Humans with real guns sure does risk humans killing humans, either unintentionally or intentionally.

Korean Podcast

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2016, 06:18:46 PM »
The bullets hit like normal bullets except when hitting humans.  The show creator just says they're futuristic 'simunitions.'  Nothing more specific than that has been released. 
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2016, 06:44:16 PM »
Its knives that intrigue me....how do you have a knife fight with a host and make sure the encounter is one sided?
I wonder what the rate of guest on guest crime is for cases of mistaken identity?

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2016, 08:00:06 PM »
Its knives that intrigue me....how do you have a knife fight with a host and make sure the encounter is one sided?
I wonder what the rate of guest on guest crime is for cases of mistaken identity?

Yeah, I've been waiting for this explanation. It's so hard to tell robot from human that it seems human on human accidents are inevitable.

The bullets hit like normal bullets except when hitting humans.  The show creator just says they're futuristic 'simunitions.'  Nothing more specific than that has been released. 

I'd like a better explanation--but if they can't think of any, I can get over it, especially if they don't supply a shitty explanation.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2016, 07:44:40 AM »
I just rationalize it as chalk bullets with internal scaffolds that give way when approaching people.  They can basically 3-d print people out of electroactive polymers so nanotech's got to be passe and banal here.

Online Harry Black

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2016, 08:03:59 AM »
I dont think the androids bodies are less structurally sound than a humans because
(click to show/hide)

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2016, 08:39:22 AM »
The stray, did he kill himself to prevent himself from killing a human? Or did he bash his brains out to keep a secret?

I like to think the cultists are robots created by Ford without the programming to squib themselves when shot. They're a kind of ghost shirt cult where their ghost shirts actually work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_shirt

Korean Podcast

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2016, 08:48:56 AM »
Squibs don't make sense because the bullets damage wood, penetrate walls, etc.  Hosts are soft as human tissue and susceptible to stabbing, cutting, etc. so squibs are wholly unnecessary. 

Also, the cultists could just be armored. 

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2016, 08:54:55 AM »
Squibs don't make sense because the bullets damage wood, penetrate walls, etc.  Hosts are soft as human tissue and susceptible to stabbing, cutting, etc. so squibs are wholly unnecessary. 

Also, the cultists could just be armored.

Interesting observation. So robot bullets are seen to go through walls but when they hit humans they don't go through flesh?

Korean Podcast

Online Harry Black

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2016, 08:58:26 AM »
My current theory on the guns is that they have a primary and secondary charge, the primary makes it like simunitions, but the secondary can only activate when the gun registers that it has been pointed at a host?
Seems dodgy as fuck for the real world of course, but thats how Im thinking of it at the moment?
Remember Ed Harris did that odd secondary cocking of his pistol to shoot through the wall? (Unless theres some feature of pistols from that era that Im embarrassingly unaware of?)

personate-rain