Author Topic: Gerbigs Fantasy World Nonsense.  (Read 850 times)

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
Gerbigs Fantasy World Nonsense.
« on: October 08, 2016, 05:09:35 PM »
So, Ive been running a Dungeons and Dragons group for 3 years now.

Its had about 12 players come and go through the years, and 6 of them have been with us the whole time.
Im going to use this thread as a sounding board for my creations. Mostly the artistic or world-building creations rather than boring mechanical creations.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
Re: Gerbigs Fantasy World Nonsense.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 05:26:26 PM »
Here is the world we have been playing in, its mostly undeveloped as of now. I tend to develop things as my players venture into them and just have vague concepts until then.

And a more stylized version:

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 05:44:30 PM »
Here is a breakdown of countries, territories and owned land:

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 05:49:03 PM »
The small island by "The Deep Blue Hole" is actually ruled over by one of my players, role playing as Marvel's Doctor doom in a fantasy world.
Here is a closer look at that island and the main capital city:

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 05:53:56 PM »
I have basically stolen from a number of different pantheons around the world, dnd, pathfinder, native american culture, Greek, Mesopotamian etc pokemon, to create an amalgamated pantheon that has a little bit of everything.

Very Basically, I treated the universe like a company, and I looked at what jobs need to be covered. That is how I came up with the current pantheon system. AO is the CEO, the elder gods are managers of different departments, and the gods themselves are the workers.

Basic Idea of the pantheons:
The elemental pantheon shapes and creates the worlds, while the material pantheon rules over monsters and creatures who live in those worlds. The life pantheon creates "blessed" races (those races lucky enough to have a soul) and they populate worlds with those races. Those races need something to live for, so the passion pantheon gives inspiration and goals to the blessed races, while the temptation pantheon separates the weak from the strong. Once the blessed races die, they are taken care of, judged, and sent to their final destination by the death pantheon. The knowledge pantheon basically keeps an eye on creation, and studies how everything occurs and interacts. The balance pantheon tries to maintain neutrality in the material universe, so once force of good, chaos, evil or law does not upset the balance.

AO
(The overgod, the one above all)
AO is the mysterious force beyond the universe and all its separate dimensions. It is said that not only is the multiverse under AO's control, but that every atom in the universe is literally part of AO's being.

Elder Gods:
Each elder god is in charge of a separate pantheon. Each pantheon has a "goal" in the universe, and the gods within that pantheon take care of different jobs inside that pantheon.

Baccob (Knowledge Pantheon)
Gaia (Material Pantheon)
Aether (Elemental Pantheon)
Lady Death (Death Pantheon)
Enoch (Life Pantheon)
Ra (Balance Pantheon)
Zeus (Passion Pantheon)
Gilgamesh (Temptation Pantheon)

Gods: (Separated by Pantheon)
Each god has 3-ish demigods working for them

Knowledge Pantheon
A group of gods concerned with learning about the universe, and being keepers and masters of that knowledge.

Cernunnos- God of biology
Hermes- The god of alchemy and chemistry
Thoth- The God of numbers and counting
Imhotep- God of physics and architecture
Wu Tao -God of healing, medicine, and health
Buddha- God of philosophy and high thought
Tyr- God of strategy
Hephaestus- God of crafting
Irori- God of History
Shenron- God of Wishes
Vecna- Keeper of dark secrets
Fate- God of the coming appocalypse

Material Pantheon

Masters of those who live in different areas. The mountains, sea, land etc. They tend to live and roam in the material realm.

Anuket- Master of sea monsters, creatures and beings
Barclaw- Master of mountain and underdark creatures, monsters and beings
Thor- Master of all who can fly, God of weather.
Loa- Mother and creator of all monsters
Artemis- Mother of all animals and beasts
Hercules-Tamer of all Beasts, Monsters and Abominations
Vovosunt- Master of the sky and stars, and all those who live in space

Elemental Pantheon
The sculptors of Worlds, masters of elementals.

Tetran- God of Earth. Sculptor of land masses and mountains
Pele- God of Fire. Creator of molten rock and volcanoes.
Quetzalcoatl- God of Air. Producer of atmosphere and air.
Poseidon God of the sea, filler of lakes and oceans
Pelor God of Light/Positive Energy, maker of stars
Toldoth God of Dark/Negative Energy
Arceus God of Magic, drawer of magical fields and leylines.

Death Pantheon
The Garbage dump of the universe, they receive, organised, and send souls to their final destination.

Wee Jas- Harvester of Good souls
Grim- Harvester of Evil souls
Charon- Ferryman of souls, takes souls to their final destination
Hades- Keeper of lost or unwanted souls
Satan- Punisher of rejected souls
Urgathoa- Mother off all undead
Anubis- Judge of Souls, chooses final destination

*Council of death- Part of the death pantheon, they decide the cause of death of all beings in the material realm

Baron-Samedi- Council of death/ Disease
Sin- Council of death/ Disaster
Khronus- Council of death/ Age
Thanos- Council of death/ Violence
Jynx- Council of death/ Accidents
Eitera- Council of death/ Toxins
Cthulhu- Council of Death/ Madness
Yog-Sothoth- Council of death/ Sorrow
Ithaqua- Council of death/ Famine

Temptation Pantheon
The Temptation pantheon exists to separate the weak from the strong. Beings who are truly great can resist temptation, those who are not cannot.

Kratos- God of Wrath
Abaddon- God of Sloth
Cthugha- God of Gluttony
Lucifer- God of Pride
Asmodeus- God of Lust
Beelzebub- God of Envy
Mammon- God of Greed

Life Pantheon
Creators and protectors of the "blessed races". The chosen races of the gods

Corellon Larethian- Creator of Elf souls
Yondalla- Creator of Halfling souls
Garl Glittergold- Creator of Gnome souls
Pan- Creator of Faeries and fey souls
Baulder- Creator of Warforged souls
Yahweh- Creator of Human souls
Gruumsh- Creator of Orc souls
Moradin- Creator of Dwarf souls
Bahamut- Creator of good dragon souls
Tiamat- Creator of evil dragon souls
Annam- Creator of Titan souls
Lolth- Creator of Drow souls

Passion Pantheon
The pantheon that gives the blessed races reasons to live and thrive. They inspire them to achieve greatness.

Aphrodite- God of Love
Bast- God of Beauty
Apollo- God of Art
Spirit of the West- God of Adventure
Ollerus- God of Contests and glory
Cassia- God of Pleasure
Morpheus- God of Dreams
Ares- God of War
Dionysus- God of food and drink
Abadar- God of wealth and riches

Balance Pantheon
This pantheon contains gods that embody certain alignments, and work to promote their alignment.

Heironeous God of Good (Lawful Good)
Ilmater God of Good (Chaotic Good)
Jesus God of Good (Neutral Good)

Loviatar God of Evil (Neutral Evil)
Myrkul God of Evil (Lawful Evil)
Orcus God of Evil (Chaotic Evil)

Heimdall God of Law (Lawful Good)
Eunomia God of Law (Lawful Evil)
Mayaheine God of Law (Lawful Neutral)

Coyote God of Chaos (Chaotic Good)
Nyarlathotep God of Chaos (Chaotic Evil)
Loki God of Chaos (Chaotic Neutral)

Nethys God of Neutrality (True Neutral)

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 05:59:21 PM »
Here is what the death pantheon looks like, I'll post the rest of them eventually:

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 07:59:34 AM »
Wow! Thats fucking extensive!
Have you given any thought to say, the median yearly income of a peasant for an idea of how uber wealthy players are getting?
I mean...why would you? That stuff is catnip to me though so I love hearing how people approach stuff like the economy and availability of magic! The best strategy though seems to be to paint around it and let tropes do their work.

Other question that occured to me- Does your game allow monk classes and if so, do you allow secular monks?

How long did the mapping take you btw? It looks quite detailed, so Im assuming its grown as you needed it to?

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 01:58:04 PM »
Wow! Thats fucking extensive!
Have you given any thought to say, the median yearly income of a peasant for an idea of how uber wealthy players are getting?

Well, if im being really honest its a problem that bothers me a bit. My world is a bit more industrialized thanks to the gnomes getting involved with steam powered technology and the very beginnings of electricity, so the amount of money available to even peasants is up a bit.
For comparison's sake, 1 gold is equal to about $5.00

Truly Poor- Less than 100 gold a month (1200 gold/year)
Peasants- 500 gold a month (6000 gold/year)
Middle Class- 800 gold a month (9600 gold/year)
Merchants, well-off- 1200 gold a month (14,400 gold/year)
Rich Merchants, Nobels- 2000 gold a month (24,000 gold/year)
Royalty, super rich- 5000+ gold a month (60,000 gold/year)

But adventurers, even if I don't give them gold for rewards, im giving them magic items worth tens or hundreds of thousands of gold. That's like playing a dnd modern game and suddenly giving the players a Ferrari. I try to give them other rewards, like deeds to ships, a conscription notice to get some soldiers to adventure with them etc, but players always find a way to become filthy rich. The players nearly always become the 1% of the world. I get that that is kind of the idea, them going from nobodies to political powerhouses, but the balance always bugs me a bit.

There is an interesting Monk oath that requires you never have more than 1000 gold worth of gold and items, oath of poverty. I made a custom monk class, and how much Chi they get to use per day depends on what oath they take, some oaths are more restrictive than others etc.

I mean...why would you? That stuff is catnip to me though so I love hearing how people approach stuff like the economy and availability of magic! The best strategy though seems to be to paint around it and let tropes do their work.

Sure! Ill take my takes on those things!

Economy:
I have a numbered system that I use for that. For each town/city/settlement, I assign them a number from 1-5, 1 being a poor economy, 5 being a very good one. The number is dependent on factors that surround them, is there resources they can mine or gather? Are they near a waring nation that would put stress on them? Are they on any trading routes? What is the general race make-up of the town (long lived races generally fall into money easier)? Would the environment they are in increase or decrease cost of living? etc.

The number determines what kinds of industry are in the city, the level of stratification of jobs, the ratio of peasants to middle class to rich, the cost of goods etc.

Avaliblity of magic:

Magic is pretty dam available in my world. The meta-story is that there are cosmic "streams" of magical energy in the universe, and the solar system my world exists in is right in the middle of one of these streams. One of the reasons this world has remained mostly medieval is because of people becoming dependant on magic for a few thousand years, then experiencing a type of societal collapse once they leave one of these cosmic magical streams and magic goes away. The elves have it the hardest, as they become quite a sickly in-decline race in times of magical darkness, then thrive to the extream when magic returns.

But anyways, as it stands now, a peasant can save up and pay a wizard to teach them basic 0 level spells. Few are talented to wield magic beyond that, but most can handle 0 level spells. Magic items are made not by wizards in my world, but by a class of people called artificers, a class that basically collects magical energy into their bodies and bleeds it into items. They can make a very basic item in an hour, these basic items would be almost useless in battle, but they make the life of the common man much easier, and most peasants have one or two those. Things like burlap sacks that magically prevent food inside them from going bad, rocks that act as magical air conditioners, self-ploughing plows, memory stones that they can use to record and play back thoughts. Some of the richer level peasants can afford to have "in case of emergency" magic missile wands and the like.

Above that, middle class basically can afford more basic items and can readily afford different wands, and once you get to rich people, they can usually afford to hire a wizard or artificer at least part time to come to their home weekly and solve problems for them magically.

Other question that occurred to me- Does your game allow monk classes and if so, do you allow secular monks?

Yes and Yes! Monks are less about religion in my world and much more about discipline. In order to become a monk, you must follow some kind of vow, to put yourself in some kind of pain and gain chi.

You also need to join an order of some kind of monk order, a few of them are religious and spiritual, but most have more narrow focuses.
These are the subclasses of the monk and in my system, they replace the need for pretige classes. The monk has 15 of them, but here is 3:

How long did the mapping take you btw? It looks quite detailed, so Im assuming its grown as you needed it to?

It took me a few hours to sketch out the basic map, I used real world land masses as inspiration. My girlfriend is the one who made it into a digital form. The creation was actually opposite of what you said. I drew the entire map in one afternoon, and most of it is still a blank canvas for when I need it.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 02:14:00 PM »
Thats really interesting! Thanks!
Whenever I read a fantasy story or even a comic book, questions like that are always niggling me!
Not in a bad way, I just love getting a more full vision of the world!

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 08:00:50 PM »
Thats really interesting! Thanks!
Whenever I read a fantasy story or even a comic book, questions like that are always niggling me!
Not in a bad way, I just love getting a more full vision of the world!

It is absolutely no problem.
Feel free to ask any question and ill answer it.

It helps me to think about these things at least a little bit before my players run into them, and plus I just love talking about what ive created.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 10:49:08 PM »
This is some seriously interesting worldbuilding. I'm not reading it in detail right now because I'm building a different world and don't want to steal by mistake.

Bookmarked for later!
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

personate-rain