Author Topic: Episode #588  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #588
« on: October 15, 2016, 12:14:09 PM »
Interview with David Pratt; What’s the Word: Autophagy; News Items: Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, Chemistry, and Physics, Longevity Debate; Who’s That Noisy; Your Questions and E-mails: Healthy Foods; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Episode #588
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 01:45:28 PM »
Not enough discussion on autophagy.  But they don't really do biology.  And there is something inherently unhealthful about chips (French fries)... the rancid vegetable oil that they are fried in, unless, of course, one likes heart disease.  And kale isn't exotic.  It grows everywhere and is a very tasty, nutritious and inexpensive thing to eat.

And way too late with the Nobel prize.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 01:55:32 PM by lonely moa »
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 02:07:46 PM »
... there is something inherently unhealthful about chips (French fries)...

A great substitute, and even better tasting: Scrub some russet potatoes and cut into slices or French-fry shape, leaving the skin on. VERY lightly coat a cast-iron skillet with healthy oil. Put the potatoes in the skillet and bake at 550 F. or as high as your oven will go if lower than this. Stir frequently until golden. Better than french fries. Yum.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 10:26:26 PM »
There is no way anyone will ever get me to pronounce autophagy the way Cara states is the correct way.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 12:31:25 AM »
There is no way anyone will ever get me to pronounce autophagy the way Cara states is the correct way.

Do you also say as tro nom y?
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 06:30:30 AM »
Not enough discussion on autophagy.  But they don't really do biology.  And there is something inherently unhealthful about chips (French fries)... the rancid vegetable oil that they are fried in, unless, of course, one likes heart disease.  And kale isn't exotic.  It grows everywhere and is a very tasty, nutritious and inexpensive thing to eat.

And way too late with the Nobel prize.
You dont need vegetable oil to make chips.

Edit- Forgot what I came to post!
One thing that wasnt really addressed in the discussion about ageing is that while current advances dont seem to be changing the maximum life spans we are seeing, how do we know that these advances are coming at optimal times for those old enough to show up in such data?
So a person born in 1906 was still quite old by the 80s and had likely been affected by the enviorenmental differences that we had in the early 20th century (more coal burning, more lead in the air, harsher working conditions etc.)
Perhaps the sweet spot for the advances we have made is closer to people prior to middle age, where interventions can prevent decline, rather than patching things as they go wrong in an elderly person?
If this were to be relevant, we are unlikely to know about it for another 70 or more years.
Obviously we can only base current statements on current data, but I find it interesting.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 07:28:22 AM by Harry Black »

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 08:07:30 AM »

Actually, I'm dutch, so we say as tro no mie. }|:op

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 09:14:14 AM »
Causes of death are probably not the limiting factor to age. The body deteriorates with age and becomes decrepit. What's the point of living longer if, like Jonathan Swift's immortal Lilliputians, you just get more and more decrepit until you are nothing but a self-aware vegetable?

The real issue is the natural deterioration of the body, and the key to extending the lifespan would be learning to prevent aging from the time of early adulthood. You want to be able to prevent deterioration throughout life. Which brings up the obvious ethical issue: The wealthy will live forever while the poor age and die. Or if the technology becomes so cheap that it's available to everyone, then any hope of controlling population will be contingent on putting an end to reproduction.

I don't know whether it will ever be possible to prevent aging, but I'm doubtful. And for me, life is only worth living while I'm healthy enough to be active.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 12:18:22 PM »

Actually, I'm dutch, so we say as tro no mie. }|:op

I've been studying Dutch - I'm the only person I know of that pronounces Kuiper belt the Dutch way. 

At least I think I do, like COWper, right?  Your avatar made me think of that just now.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 12:21:37 PM by Friendly Angel »
Amend and resubmit.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 12:41:24 PM »

Tell that to every commercial chip maker in the world.  Trucks run on that shit when it gets too rancid.

Macca's used to use dripping, but changed to "healthier" vegetable oil in 1990.  Bad move, IMHO.

Warren Zevon

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 02:46:45 PM »

Tell that to every commercial chip maker in the world.  Trucks run on that shit when it gets too rancid.

Macca's used to use dripping, but changed to "healthier" vegetable oil in 1990.  Bad move, IMHO.
Its not an inherent quality of chips though is my point. Its completely possible to have chips that arent unhealthful as part of a balnced diet.

Offline thelaker

• Brand New
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 06:15:58 PM »
I think Cara got unreasonably enthusiastic about the possibilities of future advances in medicine that could increase the maximum human lifespan.  It's like she is unaware of the old SGU inside joke that any groundbreaking advance in science is only 5 to 10 years away.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:19:30 PM by thelaker »

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 09:28:57 PM »

Its not an inherent quality of chips though is my point. Its completely possible to have chips that arent unhealthful as part of a balnced diet.

I reckon it is an intent part of chips.  They aren't called "greasies" for nothing.  That's what people want.  Nobody sells a french fry that contributes to a healthy body. 

Boil your spuds, cut them and bake them... tell that to your local fish and chips shop.  Yeah, right.

Warren Zevon

Offline C0ASTAL

• Brand New
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 10:57:29 PM »
I love when Steve goes all Andy Rooney on computer technology!  :D

Online Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 10:57:51 PM »

McDonald's chips used to taste nice?  ???
I didn't go into a McDonalds before 1995. Everything was inedible by then.

personate-rain