Poll

How would the discovery of real reincarnation affect your life? (Pls refer to OP before answering.)

I wouldn't change a thing about how I live.
I would seek out families my spirit incarnated into in past lives.
I would be freed from any moral constraints: I get infinite respawns!
I would begin an extensive journal of my life to leave in trust to my next life.
Something else entirely...?

Author Topic: Incarnate Universe - Reincarnation  (Read 743 times)

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
Incarnate Universe - Reincarnation
« on: October 17, 2016, 08:19:48 PM »
What if you woke up tomorrow to incontrovertible evidence that reincarnation is real - that all humans are reborn to new bodies again and again. Note that there is no requirement for any particular belief system or religion in this new reality. You don't have to believe in gravity for it to keep you planted on the ground. You don't need to believe in reincarnation for it to happen to your soul (in this fantastical question). The known mechanics of reincarnation:
  • You will be a human again but which human you become is completely random: you could incarnate into filth or fortune, but you won't come back as a slug for having bad (or good) karma.
  • With something analogous to genetic testing, it is possible to track down past families.

At this point there is no way to call up memories or experiences from past lives - but it's a new discovery and a new science, so who knows what may come?

How would this affect your life?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
Re: Incarnate Universe - Reincarnation
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 06:34:36 PM »
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 02:29:30 PM »
What if you woke up tomorrow to incontrovertible evidence that reincarnation is real - that all humans are reborn to new bodies again and again. Note that there is no requirement for any particular belief system or religion in this new reality. You don't have to believe in gravity for it to keep you planted on the ground. You don't need to believe in reincarnation for it to happen to your soul (in this fantastical question). The known mechanics of reincarnation:
  • You will be a human again but which human you become is completely random: you could incarnate into filth or fortune, but you won't come back as a slug for having bad (or good) karma.
  • With something analogous to genetic testing, it is possible to track down past families.
At this point there is no way to call up memories or experiences from past lives - but it's a new discovery and a new science, so who knows what may come?

How would this affect your life?
I used to basically believe this anyway, but if it's now sciencey I guess the gasoline that fuels this body gets put in a new tank of a completely different car? It's like the most pointless immortality ever!  :laugh:
I took mushrooms once and had a complete ego death, saw the mask of "Jeremy" I wore was just an illusion. So as far as "I = Jeremy" is concerned, it doesn't matter. God and an afterlife is fundamentally disproven, may as well live for pleasure and f*ck morality, because even if I murder someone, they get a restart!
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 03:11:23 PM »
This question doesn't lead me anywhere useful, because all I can think about are the, shall we say, mechanical problems for reincarnation, and any imagining what my life would be like stalls.

For instance, I start asking myself about how it works, is it souls? What are souls? How are new souls created (because of how there aren't enough old ones to supply the current demand)? By whom? Where? When you die, how do they migrate? Would one be conscious of this? Do they jump instantaneously into a new body? Is this a newborn, a fetus, or what? Or do they have to wait in limbo for the next body to be available? Like a waiting room for infinite metaphysical spacetime relays?

Also specifically for your multiple choice up there, what does it matter to find your old "family" when you can't remember anything about your old life? You have a new, "real" family. The ex-family would be strangers, as would you be to them.

Anyway. There are just too many problems for me to suspend disbelief. I do like the idea of the diaries, so, that's one thing.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 10:52:57 AM »
This question doesn't lead me anywhere useful, because all I can think about are the, shall we say, mechanical problems for reincarnation, and any imagining what my life would be like stalls.

For instance, I start asking myself about how it works, is it souls? What are souls? How are new souls created (because of how there aren't enough old ones to supply the current demand)? By whom? Where? When you die, how do they migrate? Would one be conscious of this? Do they jump instantaneously into a new body? Is this a newborn, a fetus, or what? Or do they have to wait in limbo for the next body to be available? Like a waiting room for infinite metaphysical spacetime relays?

Also specifically for your multiple choice up there, what does it matter to find your old "family" when you can't remember anything about your old life? You have a new, "real" family. The ex-family would be strangers, as would you be to them.

Anyway. There are just too many problems for me to suspend disbelief. I do like the idea of the diaries, so, that's one thing.

The physics of the fantasy world account for most of these problems. There is some ability to recall or at least review past lives. The spirit does learn from each life, though episodic memories are not common except in extreme cases. Grudges and love and other passions can cross lifetimes, so the spirit-family structure in the culture works to manage the consequences of this.

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 03:24:46 PM »
I wouldn't change anything about my present life, but I'd be far less satisfied/happy because I'd be worried as hell about my next life. Since most people in the world live in desperate poverty and sickness, the odds would be against having anything like an enjoyable life.

I am very glad this is only a silly chat-board fantasy and is (I am entirely convinced) not what happens.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 06:39:00 PM »
Different religions and different cultures take different views of reincarnation in the Incarnate universe. One culture is essentially libertarian, with almost no laws or governance. The 'might-makes-right' and 'live for pleasure' approaches are well represented. There are also cultures that figure they have to take a longer view of the things they do in the world. If I'm going to be somebody's kid again later, I might want to make sure that the worst poverty and toil is limited.