Author Topic: Episode #589  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Episode #589
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2016, 01:13:45 PM »
And to the suggestions for naming Planet 9, it should be noted that the naming convention for planets is that they have to be named after gods of the classical pantheon. So "Planet McPlanetface" is out, as are "Planet 9 From Outer Space" and "Jay."

Saturn must have been named before the convention was set.
eta:  I assumed Pantheon meant only the Greek gods, but a little googoling tells me otherwise, so Saturn does fit.

I propose "forkus"

Phorcys (Φόρκυς), god of the hidden dangers of the deep
Saturn was a Roman god, equated with the Titan Cronus.  I missed the correction, although the English planets' names are Roman.  Mars, Venus, Mercury, Jupiter, Saturn, the Greeks are the exception.  And the convention is quite ancient back when the visible planets were associated with the respective gods.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 01:19:14 PM by Ah.hell »

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 06:06:58 PM »
My "guess" for Who's that Noisy.

Knowing the song made it easy to find. (Money, Money, Money by ABBA)

(click to show/hide)
I listened to the podcast this morning and that's exactly what I thought, and

(click to show/hide)

Online Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 07:29:43 PM »
My "guess" for Who's that Noisy.

Knowing the song made it easy to find. (Money, Money, Money by ABBA)

(click to show/hide)
I listened to the podcast this morning and that's exactly what I thought, and

(click to show/hide)

I've seen it done years ago, just with some sort of paper or thin cardboard (not sure of the grade used) made into a cone to amplify the sound.

Us Aussies would recognise the song easily. ABBA were absolutely huge here. 2nd only to the Beatles as far as popularity.
I was a huge fan. They became big here when I was 12/13. Having 2 beautiful Scandinavian women as lead singers was certainly a huge factor in my love of the group at that time  ;D

Offline DamoET

• Off to a Start
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2016, 07:59:44 AM »
Could this be the first episode to drop an f-bomb? (CSM around minute 31 – maybe the influence of the Liverpool Skeptics?)

Nah, I am pretty sure Cara has had one 'go through to the keeper' in a live show recording in the past.  I figured it may have been lost in editing as there were probably multiple people speaking simultaneously.

Damo
Do not fear God, fear ignorance.  For ignorance will lead you to fearing 'God' (and a whole bunch of other whacky shit!)

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2016, 08:10:35 AM »
Could this be the first episode to drop an f-bomb? (CSM around minute 31 – maybe the influence of the Liverpool Skeptics?)

Nah, I am pretty sure Cara has had one 'go through to the keeper' in a live show recording in the past.  I figured it may have been lost in editing as there were probably multiple people speaking simultaneously.

Damo

I'm pretty sure I've heard the guys drop it on rare occasions. It's very rare though.

Offline Mormegil

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Know Evolution, know life. No Evolution, no life
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2016, 02:22:07 PM »
To clarify methane fuel from Mars, it's not mining methane directly.  The idea is to produce methane (CH4), from hydrogen liberated from the copious amounts of water in the soil, and carbon from the CO2 atmosphere.  This is known as ISRU (In Situ Resource Utilization).  Oxidizer, in the form of oxygen could be produced from atmospheric CO2 also.  The Mars 2020 rover will have MOXIE, a test-bed for this.

As a KSP player and space nut (I listen to the Main Engine Cut Off podcast), I'm fairly sure you can't make fuel from most of the Moon regolith.  You could use water from polar craters to make hydrogen and oxygen (a common rocket propellent combo - see the Space Shuttle).  I suppose carbon from the regolith could be combined with hydrogen to make methane, which is more compact and easier to store.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 08:23:44 AM »
I'm pretty sure that Bob and I must have a psychic connection... Last week I watched Dr. Strangelove right around the time the podcast would've been recorded and I ended up reading up on Stanislav Petrov, of whom I had never heard before either!
Mooohn!

Offline Birkeland

• Brand New
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 12:22:52 AM »
I was confused with the Mar segment. There was a lot of discussion about things from the presentation that were wrong, like saying the cost for the first flights would be 10 billion and the development costs would be 100 billion.

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2016, 12:39:10 AM »
I was confused with the Mar segment. There was a lot of discussion about things from the presentation that were wrong, like saying the cost for the first flights would be 10 billion and the development costs would be 100 billion.
I don't follow. Are you saying the SGU was citing incorrect figures or.. ?

Also someone needs to let Jay know that he royally screwed up. It shouldn't be Musk's voice that comes on during the flight.
The universe created Morgan Freeman for a reason! Get your head in the game, Jay!
I am in favor of killing all whales on principle. Where is my avalanche of 'provocateur' money?

Offline av8rmike

• Off to a Start
  • SGU Transcriber
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2016, 09:51:36 AM »
User name checks out.
I am skeptical of the claim that "Plan 9 From Outer Space" features a man in an ape suit wearing a diving helmet. That would be "Robot Monster."
Plan 9 features a man who scarcely looks like Bela Lugosi walking around with his cape, trying to obscure the fact that he's not Lugosi. Also the wobbling tombstones.

Offline Birkeland

• Brand New
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2016, 09:22:42 PM »
I don't follow. Are you saying the SGU was citing incorrect figures or.. ?

Yes, the $10 Billion a seat figure came from using traditional methods. I believe this number came from taking the cost of the Apollo program and dividing the number of astronauts that landed on the Moon, but it was clear that SpaceX was never talking about that much per seat for ITS. They talked about the development costs being 10's-100's of billion dollars, while the estimate from SpaceX was $10 Billion total, and estimated that after commercial crew is finished they would be spending around $300 million a year, which is a much more manageable figure. Granted, that number came up in the Q&A, so they might not have watched it as terrible as it was.

If they thought that the costs presented were overly optimistic, that is fair, but that was not the way that they phrased it.

Offline udo

• Brand New
Re: Episode #589: Skeptic Voice for Mission to Mars?
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2016, 03:51:16 AM »
The entire panel seems to be very excited about the Mars Colonization Idea.   I miss the skeptic voice here.  (Steven & Cara brought some points up to think about, though)
Here is just one important point, which makes me skeptical about the whole idea of travelling to Mars:
  • Consider Costs in Energy not in $:  
    One should not ask how much this endeavour costs in term of Dollars but how much energy will be used to create and to ship the equipment send people to Mars.    Especially:  How much of this energy will come from carbon based energy forms?
    If one argument of the Mars Mission is to create an alternative habitat to avoid global warming, one should measure how much contributes the MM to global warming.  Right?
    I would suggest the following measurement:  Tons of Earth*-CO2 per Person shipped to Mars
    (*I understand ON Mars itself, we would use "local" energy forms which will not contribute to Earth's global warming.)

I have no problem that all you guys have  favorable views about this Mars Idea.  But doesn't being skeptic includes considering one's own views as well?  Maybe you want to invite a skeptic to the Mars Mission  for a future show?

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2016, 10:15:23 AM »
Udo: If the last line of your post was addressed to the SGU rogues, note that they don't seem to read or respond to posts here. But you can email them directly. They do read their email, and sometimes reply.

I agree with you in being skeptical of a Mars colony, though for somewhat different reasons: People migrate because they are pushed out of their old location, or because they hope to improve their situation or are paid (or forced) to move by people who finance the new colony in hopes of extracting wealth from it. Perhaps a future dictator will force people to go to Mars the way England deported criminals to America and Australia, but the prospects of life on Mars are so grim, and the possibilities of extracting wealth to pay for the colony are so slim, that I don't think it will ever happen. A research station, perhaps, funded for the science. But a colony of people who relocate permanently, I think that's just fantasy based on the romantic notions of science fiction.

Going beyond the solar system is even more of a fantasy. There is no benefit to people back on Earth of a colony ten or twenty or a hundred light-years away, and unless we send a probe and wait for data to return, the hopeful colonists will be embarking on a multi-generational voyage with only a microscopic probability of finding a habitable environment when they arrive at their destination.

Whether Mars or a generation ship to another star, medical care will be so rudimentary it will be like going back to the 18th century and end-of-life care for degenerative disease will be a cyanide pill. They'll be able to set broken bones and extract teeth, but they'll be unable to manufacture medicines or perform hardly any of the procedures we take for granted.

Welcome to the SGU forums, and I, for one, agree with your skepticism on space colonization, though I think we are a small minority .
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Obviousman

• Off to a Start
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2016, 02:35:50 AM »
I found the comments regarding not remembering phone numbers interesting.

I grew up in the era when I would know at least five or ten telephone numbers in my head: friends, home, etc.... but now I know my own mobile (cell) number and that's it. I don't even know my partner's number; I just look her up in Contacts.

What I did find interesting was that I do remember a heap of email addresses. I know the email of my partner, friends, etc. I suppose they are a little easier to remember but I wonder if other people do the same, or if they simply look in Contacts?

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2016, 04:37:26 AM »
I avoid using email as much as possible. I use Facebook to keep in touch.