Author Topic: Blizzard's Overwatch/Gamers Aging  (Read 992 times)

Offline Smooth

• Not Enough Spare Time
Blizzard's Overwatch/Gamers Aging
« on: October 25, 2016, 05:56:25 PM »
I just picked this up a few weeks ago and it is very fun.

I joined an international multi-gaming clan last winter to help improve my Smite game, and now spend my time in the Overwatch section. I fear I am by far the oldest member of that community and only hint at being in my 40s (lying!)  That said, I keep my actual age hidden, which works fine.  I've been gaming a long time, and prefer to game instead of watching sports or cable reruns... with an active clan, it's a bit like going to the pub after work.

Overwatch has been far and away the most popular game of late, it is really fun, and very well done team shooter, and reading reviews I decided to jump in.  Worth it! It came out of Beta last April.

So if you Overwatch on PC, I'd love to find some more skeptic-folks to play with (especially secretly older ones!)  Maybe join the same clan for team games.

Smooth

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Blizzard's Overwatch/Gamers Aging
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 06:33:06 PM »
Hmm...I'm about to post something very close to "I don't care about your topic."

I'm and old gamer, actually in my 40s, I just don't have any interest in multiplayer.  I'm happy sitting in my darkened basement playing in solitude. 

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 08:41:09 PM »
The average age of gamers is rising. People my age (54) grew up playing in arcades.
I'm a big gamer and rarely go a few days without playing something.

I do play FPS. But as I've got older I find I can't play anything that is too intense for too long.
I prefer games that have action sections that are broken up with slower sections that give you time to breathe.
Like Assassin's Creed, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Bioshock etc. I love all those series.

I'll occasionally go online to play. Which is usually a very humbling experience. My reflexes can't compete with the kids online and my sanity has stopped me ever plugging a headset in when I do it.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 09:00:37 AM »
I've wanted to get but havn't picked it up yet. I don't have as much time for gaming as I'd like, but have been intreged by it for a while. Looks like a fancy tf2 and tf2 is one of my all time favorite games.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 10:29:25 AM »
A decade ago I was an admin/guild leader for a multi-game guild with thousands of members called The Oldtimers Guild.  Membership age 25+ requirement.  My drug of choice was Dungeons & Dragons Online, but we had chapters in WoW, LOTRO, EVE, and any other games that were going at the time (that time included the brief Age of Conan era, for instance).
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Online Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • I'm sorry, Dr. Novella, I'm afraid I can't do that.
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 04:19:11 PM »
A couple of people from this forum (Teethering, Johnny Slick, Overon, fonebone, noxon and I) play Overwatch quite a bit.

I wouldn't worry too much about your age. I've been a member of about half a dozen guilds/squads/whatever, but I think my Battlefield 2 squad was most illustrative: its members included guys well over 50, one of them a Baptist minister. Gaming is no longer the preserve of spotty teenagers in attics and basements - it's the biggest entertainment market around and still growing. :)
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline Smooth

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 05:13:18 PM »
Well if anyone is interested, say so, and I will PM my Battle-Tag! 

Online Louie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 02:41:42 PM »
My battle tag is Louie#2910. I can introduce you around to our small but plucky band of Fightin' Skeptics. :)
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 06:05:08 PM »
Multiplayer isnt my bag but maybe this could add an extra dimension to the game for you folks :P
https://www.google.ie/amp/kotaku.com/overwatch-healsluts-turn-playing-support-into-an-erotic-1786553002/amp
If it seems ridiculous, I know a person who is having minor relationship drama because of it.

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 02:40:45 AM »
what the literal fuck

Online Louie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 12:02:57 PM »
:o

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 12:08:05 PM »
So just know that when you are playing, someone in the game is probably getting off on it.
You arent quite the vibrator, but you are the batteries in the vibrator. :P

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 12:18:48 PM »
Hmm...I'm about to post something very close to "I don't care about your topic."

I'm and old gamer, actually in my 40s, I just don't have any interest in multiplayer.  I'm happy sitting in my darkened basement playing in solitude.

With booze.  You forgot the booze. 

Or is that just me?
Well.  There it is.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 12:29:11 PM »

With booze.  You forgot the booze. 

Or is that just me?
Definitely not just you.  Seriously looking forward to the week in December when my wife takes the kid to her parents.  I'm going to spend it tipsily playing fallout 4.  So far, I can only play it for the 30 minutes of free time I have before I go to work. 

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2016, 05:24:39 PM »
So just know that when you are playing, someone in the game is probably getting off on it.
You arent quite the vibrator, but you are the batteries in the vibrator. :P

I really did not need to know that :(  I want my innocence back.

personate-rain