Author Topic: Arrival (2016)  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Gravity Allen

• Off to a Start
  • Hi! I'm a linguist!
    • The Ling Space
Arrival (2016)
« on: October 27, 2016, 08:37:59 PM »
Are you all as excited about this as I am! ^_^ Or maybe you've read the short "Story of Your Life" that it's based on? The reviews are outstanding, so far, and I really love the concept behind it.

Any speculations about what it would be like if this actually happened?

Fun fact: the office shown in the trailer's based off my supervisor's -- Dr. Lisa Travis, at McGill (the movie was filmed here, in Montreal).

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
Re: Arrival (2016)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 11:08:56 PM »
I am quite excited by this movie - as much for the leads as for the plot. Also, I can't but hear the ABBA Arrival album in my brain when I see the title.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 01:09:59 AM »
Yes!  I am really looking forward to this movie.  Reminds me a lot of Contact from the trailers.  Seems like a slow-burning, grounded, and thoughtful take on first contact with a skeptical but curious female lead. 

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 05:05:25 AM »
You could almost write the script from that trailer. Cue military personnel advising the President to nuke them. With Amy Adams as the lone sane voice championing the peaceful nature of the aliens

It looks like a definite rental for me. Not a slur on the film. There are just not that many films I will drive 160 miles to see. (320 if you count the drive back.) ;)

I am quite excited by this movie - as much for the leads as for the plot. Also, I can't but hear the ABBA Arrival album in my brain when I see the title.

That's apt given "Who's That Noisy" this week featured a song from that album.  8)
I played that album, probably, more than any other album in my life. I was only 14.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 06:24:28 AM »
Nukes? They can't be much of a threat if the government only needed one Avenger.  ;D

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 07:19:38 AM »
Contrast's poorly against the first trailer:

'Action sci-fi' vs 'speculative sci-fi'
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 10:07:46 AM »
Any speculations about what it would be like if this actually happened?

If what happened? If space aliens actually showed up? There've been mountains, planets, galaxies of speculation about what would happen if space aliens showed up. Including a gazillion movies about it and even more books. Do we need more speculation?

Or do you mean if the aliens arrive and it played out as in the movie? But we won't know what happens in the movie until the movie comes out.

I'll wait for the reviews, and if they're good I'll put it in my NetFlix queue when it comes out on disk. If it gets really spectacular reviews I might see it in the theater, but probably not. I don't go to the theater much.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Gravity Allen

• Off to a Start
  • Hi! I'm a linguist!
    • The Ling Space
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 08:09:04 PM »
Contrast's poorly against the first trailer:

(click to show/hide)

'Action sci-fi' vs 'speculative sci-fi'

Yeah, I wavered a bit in deciding which trailer to post; this might've been the better choice, given the forum! :-P

Anyway, I don't know if it'll be worth a 320-mile drive, but from what I've heard (and based on the story), it's very far from your typical sic-fi invasion flick. Given the source material, director Denis Villeneuve (Prisoners, Sicario), and the fact that they actually went to the trouble of consulting real linguists, my sense is it'll be much more realistic than what we've seen so far. And that's more what I meant with my question -- obviously, certain versions of this story have been done to death; but placing the problem of communication centre-stage strikes me as unique (even considering something like Contact).

I mean, I expect the movie will sex things up quite a bit, compared to the short. But the plot unavoidably revolves around the nitty-gritty of encountering a non-human language, and with a protagonist whose job it is to handle these kinds of situations, it's refreshing to think we might get a story which does't sidestep perhaps the biggest problem we'd likely run up against.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 08:12:14 PM by Gravity Allen »

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 12:52:17 AM »
Yeah, I'm still optimistic.  I'll be seeing it opening weekend.
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 08:21:55 AM »
I'm pumped for next Friday.  ;D

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2016, 09:35:43 AM »
"Mars Attacks" dealt with the language issue. Of course they did it by having a scientist build a black box. But making the whole plot revolve around communication seems to ignore plenty of other issues, such as their intentions and our xenophobia. And there's this: If they have so much technology that they can get here, isn't it more likely they'd have sent an unobtrusive probe here first and learned our language? Learning their language won't help if they're determined to exterminate us, or if our leaders are determined to nuke them before they land. If the space ship is bringing the Daleks, they already know the only English word they need.

As I said, I'll wait for the reviews. If it's not the sort of visually-striking movie that really needs to be seen on the big screen, I'll wait for it to come out on disc. And if it gets poor reviews I might not watch it even then.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2016, 01:24:52 PM »

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2016, 01:44:03 PM »
Damn alien refugees.  Send 'm back to Syria!
Banned from both Hacker News and the xkcd forum.

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2016, 01:49:08 PM »

Don't you mean Sirius?
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2016, 01:17:10 PM »

Don't you mean Sirius?

Forn is forn!
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

personate-rain
personate-rain