Author Topic: Episode #590  (Read 2835 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #590
« on: October 29, 2016, 12:07:40 PM »
Forgotten Superheroes of Science: David Young; News Items: Alien Signals, Patient Zero, Expanding Universe, Mars Probe Crash; Who’s That Noisy; Name That Logical Fallacy; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Episode #590
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 03:05:30 PM »
Halloween candy works it poison over the years.  Obesity, dental caries and T2D. 
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 03:15:40 PM »
You know if kids had Halloween Candy just once a year that would be fine. It's the steady diet of high carb sweets, desserts, breads, starches, pasta, and other simple, fast hi GI foods every day that causes childhood obesity and T2 diabetes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Off to a Start
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 04:55:11 PM »
During Name That Logical Fallacy, I swear Steven Novella's voice and phrasing began to sound a bit like Carl Sagan. With some dedicated practice...

Offline mddawson

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 07:02:21 PM »
Last weeks 'Who's that Noisy' is the song 'Money, Money, Money', not 'It's a Rich Mans World'.

I am perplexed that anyone found it surprising that a record can be played using the plastic money. I was doing the same thing 40 years ago with a normal piece of paper.
"I only take scientific comments when they are peer-reviewed rather than being published in a small local newspaper or scratched on a toilet wall somewhere."
Professor Peter Brown (2005).

Offline synapsomatic

• Brand New
    • Just my ramblings, and other distractions…
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 07:33:36 PM »
Name that logical fallacy segment:
I think the listener's friend is actually begging the question.  Since we didn't get the details, I can't be certain, which means I'll have to speculate a little.  But it sounded to me like the sort of move the friend was trying to make is begging the question for whatever it was s/he was ultimately trying to argue for.  We know that s/he wasn't simply arguing that being a rule or law is sufficient for being fair or just, because s/he wouldn't accept that the death penalty was "on the same level", so to speak, as whatever rule or law that s/he was referring to.  So there was some rule or law of interest, and it was likely intended to be playing a role in some set of premises for some conclusion.  The combination of, (i) claiming that being a rule or law is sufficient for fairness or justice, and (ii) claiming there is some inherent difference between the death penalty and what s/he is referring to that makes them incomparable, is a move that sounds to me like it would only make sense under some assumption or set of assumptions that is already (probably theoretically) connected in some way to whatever her/his conclusion is.  Begging the question is kind of like trying to get a free ride to the conclusion without anyone noticing you didn't actually pay the fare. 

Offline mabell_yah

• Off to a Start
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 07:50:53 PM »
Glad to see more "name that logical fallacy". I can't get enough. My take is the friend is moving the goal posts. It's the old: I make a claim, you prove me wrong, I exclude the conditions you cited. Lather, rinse, repeat.

BTW, I only give out organic, non-GMO, high fiber, high-fructos-corn-syrup-free, nutritional snacks. Scares the dickens out of the little buggers.

Online Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 12:41:24 AM »
Last weeks 'Who's that Noisy' is the song 'Money, Money, Money', not 'It's a Rich Mans World'.

A typical mistake people make with music titles. Confusing a line from the chorus for the name of the song.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 01:00:09 AM »
The logical fallacy is Lawful Neutral. Which is my favourite alignment to play in D&D, but it's not very effective in the real world.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 02:13:20 AM »
You know if kids had Halloween Candy just once a year that would be fine. It's the steady diet of high carb sweets, desserts, breads, starches, pasta, and other simple, fast hi GI foods every day that causes childhood obesity and T2 diabetes.

Every day is halloween for most kids.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 04:15:30 AM by lonely moa »
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 04:00:38 AM »
I didn't know Halloween in the UK was big enough for 50% of households to opt-out of it.

Here's a guide to pronouncing the unique Norwegian letters;

The rest of the name as Jay read it was pretty spot on.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 05:48:04 AM by 2397 »

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 10:18:45 AM »

It was for me and my mates! Every day we would all go to the corner shop by our school and get assorted bags of penny sweets and sherbert thingies and cans of fanta or lilt. In the summer it was icecream/icelollies every day and bottles of Lucozade.
That was on top of sandwiches for lunch and bags of crisps in the evening and coco pops for breakfast!

At least at halloween we actually ate some nuts and bobbed for apples.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 12:17:26 PM »
Its nice that you can get a decent quote out of Terry Goodking, but be careful.  The truth he speaks of is "The Truth" with a capital "T".  Specifically Goodkind's TRUTH is that of Randian Objectivism.  But rereading that quote with the idea that the speaker is not speaking of empirical scientific truth, but of philosophical nigh religious Truths makes that quote much more creepy, IMO. 

The quote goes on:

That leaves peaceful people no choice but to fight for their lives or fall to the blades of madmen. In such a situation, there is no middle ground. There is no such thing as compromise between civilization and savagery. Civilization must always defend itself against savagery or else fall to it.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline Cpthaddock

• Brand New
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 12:40:31 PM »
I didn't know Halloween in the UK was big enough for 50% of households to opt-out of it.

I've heard this a lot, I guess its not popular in England but it was always big in Glasgow and it's huge these days, especially with adults like was mentioned on the podcast.

Also we had to say a joke, sing a song, perform a trick or similar before getting sweets, which fits with the celtic roots. I'm 31 so it was a while back and it's a bit more 'trick or treat' American style now I guess. We would say, 'the sky is blue, the grass is green, have you anything for my Halloween? ' then do whatever trick, you normally get invited in the house too.

I know my mum still loves getting kids round and she makes them do a performance of some kind still :)

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2016, 12:52:14 PM »

... and a third of this people you mention are now obese, insulin resistant  and often diabetic.

It was for me and my mates! Every day we would all go to the corner shop by our school and get assorted bags of penny sweets and sherbert thingies and cans of fanta or lilt. In the summer it was icecream/icelollies every day and bottles of Lucozade.
That was on top of sandwiches for lunch and bags of crisps in the evening and coco pops for breakfast!

At least at halloween we actually ate some nuts and bobbed for apples.

Warren Zevon

personate-rain
personate-rain