Author Topic: Episode #593  (Read 2419 times)

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: Episode #593
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2016, 12:45:22 PM »
Just to add - the SGU official Facebook page has recently been linking to (negative) articles about the positions of various proposed trump appointees that are anti-science.  So there seems to indeed be some movement forward as promised in the "we will talk about specific issues as they arise" direction.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2016, 02:43:26 PM »
Just to add - the SGU official Facebook page has recently been linking to (negative) articles about the positions of various proposed trump appointees that are anti-science.  So there seems to indeed be some movement forward as promised in the "we will talk about specific issues as they arise" direction.
Fancy that!

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2016, 02:52:41 AM »
Interestingly I was listening to the latest Skeptics with a K episode in the bus on the way home, and they were saying how they got complaints because they dared to talk about politics. People wrote in to them saying "stick to skeptical topics, bellends!" Actually I don't know that they called them bellends, but it would be a reasonable enough assumption.

Offline smudge

• Off to a Start
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2016, 02:40:02 PM »

Yes, I've noticed this. Most welcome.
I'm still not at all satisfied with the lack of coverage on the show during the campaign and immediately after the vote- or perhaps more specifically,  the reasons given for lack of coverage. But nobody who self identifies as a skeptic or critical thinker (or both!  ;)) can fail to see (and address) the elephant in the room.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2016, 10:15:35 PM »
My guess is, you (and the rest of us) will be sick of hearing about Trump on the podcast by the end of next year.

Most of us foreigners were sick of hearing about this election endlessly on our news cycle before the end of last year.
We get annoyed when elections go for more than a month here. 2 years is Fucking ridiculous  ;D

Then we forget about ours until the next one starts in 3 years.

A nice politic free podcast or 2 before the Trump Presidency starts in January is actually a relief.

Wait until the elephant shits on the carpet before you complain about it  ;)

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2016, 10:44:27 PM »
My guess is, you (and the rest of us) will be sick of hearing about Trump on the podcast by the end of next year.

Most of us foreigners were sick of hearing about this election endlessly on our news cycle before the end of last year.
We get annoyed when elections go for more than a month here. 2 years is Fucking ridiculous  ;D

Then we forget about ours until the next one starts in 3 years.

A nice politic free podcast or 2 before the Trump Presidency starts in January is actually a relief.

I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure I went weeks without even thinking about President Obama, or President Bush before him.
Trump is like this mangy little skunk riding around on my back. Honestly, unless there's a sign I can hold up on a street somewhere that will make him quit without driving 10-15% of America to run riot, I'd go do it.

If and when the time comes, I'll... call my senator, I guess. I'll make sure everyone knows I'm going to vote, and what I'm going to be thinking about when I do, and I'll try to get other people around to at least a similar way of thinking.

(And if something truly egregious were to happen, well, wtf, who knows)

Short of that, it's in no way productive for him to have all this  free real estate in my head, like all damn day, for going on half a year.
I am in favor of killing all whales on principle. Where is my avalanche of 'provocateur' money?

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2016, 12:34:18 AM »

The shit has already hit the fan.
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline smudge

• Off to a Start
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2016, 04:14:30 AM »

No, that would be silly. And makes my point for me.
If everyone accepts that elephants do indeed shit. If everyone accepts that there is a particularly big stinky elephant in the room. If everyone chooses to ignore that elephant. Then shit on the carpet (and perhaps walls) becomes inevitable. One is then left hoping that the shit doesn't drown us all.
Far better to point out elephants (and hence the danger of shit heaps) and so avoid (or be better prepared to deal with) shit flavoured mess and damage while one can.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2016, 08:25:55 AM »
Most of us foreigners were sick of hearing about this election endlessly on our news cycle before the end of last year....

So were most of us here in the U.S.!
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2016, 09:32:07 PM »

Boy I don't know, if maybe a bit of pre-emptive complaining can prevent the elephant from shitting on the carpet at all though, it's awfully tempting to try.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2016, 10:08:58 AM »
They could potentially spend the next four years talking about Trump's crazy.  I appreciate that they plan on waiting until he actually shits on the carpet rather than what they'd be doing now which is mostly talking about he probably shit on the carpet. 

We all know the elephant is in the room, we all know he's gonna shit on the carpet, but we really don't quite know how.  Also, pretty much every other podcast I listen to is constantly talking about he elephant.  I want some science news, some quackery news and what not from the SGU. 

Offline amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2016, 11:11:05 AM »
They could potentially spend the next four years talking about Trump's crazy.  I appreciate that they plan on waiting until he actually shits on the carpet rather than what they'd be doing now which is mostly talking about he probably shit on the carpet. 

We all know the elephant is in the room, we all know he's gonna shit on the carpet, but we really don't quite know how.  Also, pretty much every other podcast I listen to is constantly talking about he elephant.  I want some science news, some quackery news and what not from the SGU.

That's fair.  I have been skipping almost all my current-events podcasts for the last month or so for just that reason.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline mabell_yah

• Off to a Start
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2016, 06:50:13 PM »
I'm going to patent an app that "redirects" bacteria out of the bloodstream. Investors please inquire via takeMyMoneyPlease@aol.com.

personate-rain