Author Topic: Episode #594  (Read 2214 times)

Offline Anders

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Episode #594
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2016, 06:41:43 AM »
I bet against the EM drive, because that way I win either way. If it's a bust, I won the bet. If it's real, I won new physics!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

Offline Anders

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2016, 07:09:23 AM »
If humans are responsible for having released 2000 gigatons of CO2, and an unspecified type of tree can capture 48 lb. of CO2 per year, then we'd need an extra 1500 billion trees growing for about 61 years to capture it all. That's 50% more trees than currently exist, according to this estimate.

Yeah, we definitely need to reduce CO2 emissions as well. Still, this could be a help.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

Offline GregBr

• Brand New
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2016, 11:50:25 AM »
I haven't listened to the new episode yet.  Is there still no mention of the elephant in the room?  The biggest skeptical story of our lifetime?  The post reality election of Donald Trump?

It's the single biggest example of a lack of critical thinking having a world wide effect and they won't talk about it.  There is NO bigger story regarding evidence based thinking.  When will the rogues talk about it?

Offline gebobs

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2016, 01:00:58 PM »
I bet against the EM drive, because that way I win either way. If it's a bust, I won the bet. If it's real, I won new physics!

Pet peeve from that segment...Jay says the EM drive doesn't "jive with the conservation of momentum". It's "jibe" (i.e. be in accord; agree), not "jive".

Offline gebobs

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2016, 01:02:30 PM »
I haven't listened to the new episode yet.  Is there still no mention of the elephant in the room?  The biggest skeptical story of our lifetime?  The post reality election of Donald Trump?

It's the single biggest example of a lack of critical thinking having a world wide effect and they won't talk about it.  There is NO bigger story regarding evidence based thinking.  When will the rogues talk about it?

I think they would rather steer away from politics.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2016, 03:12:52 PM »

I think they would rather steer away from politics.

Unlike scientists.
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline lucek

• Off to a Start
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2016, 04:17:51 PM »
I was surprised by the strang fasination with not calling killer whales, whales. Killer whales like all dolphins are toothed whales.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2016, 07:30:23 PM »
Loved the Potter skit!!

Regarding anti gmo arguments, I had a bizarre one a while back where a friend insisted we should not be trying to support larger numbers of humans at the expense of...gmoing.
Her logic was that we have to let people die off eventually so we may as well let famine do a cull early.
You cant really argue with that once someone makes it a value judgement in that way. Its a pretty ridiculous corner for someone to be backed into though.

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2016, 07:54:47 PM »
Damn, I came here to say WTN was a number station. You guys are too fast for me. Over the past few months, I've been thinking about submitting one for a WTN.

Also, I cringed hard with the accents. Yikes.  :laugh:

Also, please stop with the Star Wars noises/references. It's too much, guys. Too much.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2016, 09:17:54 PM »
Nice add but I wondered why Hogwarts has apparently moved to Australia. Seems to be the case based on the accents.

Hah! Steve and the other rogues never get to make fun of Jay's attempts at accents again! }|:op

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2016, 12:43:38 AM »
Nice add but I wondered why Hogwarts has apparently moved to Australia. Seems to be the case based on the accents.

Not from any part of Oz I've been to.  ;) Some of them Crow Eaters have a slightly pommie accent, but nothing as Mid-Atlantican as the male rogues accents.  ;D

Offline DamoET

• Off to a Start
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2016, 06:46:28 AM »

Not from any part of Oz I've been to.  ;) Some of them Crow Eaters have a slightly pommie accent, but nothing as Mid-Atlantican as the male rogues accents.  ;D

I had to have another listen, it was terrible! :D  That will have to go down like a cult classic, something like 'Sharknado'.  The think in the future on the show, the rouges should put on accents to cover news stories in 'non American' English speaking countries. :)

Damo
Do not fear God, fear ignorance.  For ignorance will lead you to fearing 'God' (and a whole bunch of other whacky shit!)

Offline Joshey_M

• Brand New
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2016, 07:25:48 PM »
In this episode, I believe it was Steve who mentioned photosynthesis as being "a 140-step process."  I tried to look up more info on this but all I could find were a handful of articles throwing out this same number but without elaboration.  I'm just curious as to where this stat came from and where I can find more in-depth info.  Thanks!

Online Redamare

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2016, 09:41:02 AM »
I'm pretty sure that it was the Ojibwe, not the Algonquin, who told the friends of the Lakota were called the Sioux. The Lakota people or from the plains, the Algonquin sore from Delaware.
"redamare has kicked this thread's ass" -champagnej

Certainty is the enemy of wisdom.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2016, 05:01:36 PM »
I'm pretty sure that it was the Ojibwe, not the Algonquin, who told the friends of the Lakota were called the Sioux. The Lakota people or from the plains, the Algonquin sore from Delaware.

Algonquin is a group of languages (and a descriptor of tribes that speak an Alqonquin language)--one that includes the Delaware (Lenape) as well as Ojibewe.

The Sioux have roots further east and inhabited the Lower Mississippi valley until pushed west into the great plains in the 1600s.